The city of Charleston South Carolina formally apologizes for its role in slavery

As long as the electorate isn't forced at gunpoint by the government to pay out of pocket for the actions of past generations, I'm fine with it.

Yep. African. Your people have been enslaving people for thousands of years. We await your apology.
So you don't understand the difference between race and nationality?
I understand you think someone alive today is responsible for the actions of their ancestors. I'm merely judging you by your own racist standard.

You are not a slave, and I have never owned slaves. I owe you NOTHING. You owe me nothing. Move on!

How can a person apologize for something they didnt do? Answer the question.
Why do parents apologize on behalf of their children?
Parents are responsible for their children, but no one alive is responsible for slavery, except for Africans because they STILL practice slavery.
And when their grown children do something horrible like commit a mass shooting or something equally horrible, the parents/family still often will apologize to the family of the affected victims. They didn't commit the crime yet they still apologize on behalf of their errant offspring or family member.

It is presumably because most good people recognize when something unspeakably horrible is done that harms others and it gives them twinges of discomfort. Lots of people can ignore those feelings but some acknowledge them, speak out and in some cases work to attempt to make amends for the harm that was caused.

If you still don't understand then reverse engineer the situation, none of this could have occurrd without the legalization of slavery and the enforcement of the laws by the government. The city of Charleston is a governmental body which played a part in the destruction that occurred. It hurts them in no way to apologize for the human rights violations that the city as a government body engaged in.

The fact that you all take exception to the apology speaks volumes however.

THey have apologized. Do you forgive them?

Parents are responsible for their children, but no one alive is responsible for slavery, except for Africans because they STILL practice slavery.
And when their grown children do something horrible like commit a mass shooting or something equally horrible, the parents/family still often will apologize to the family of the affected victims. They didn't commit the crime yet they still apologize on behalf of their errant offspring or family member.

It is presumably because most good people recognize when something unspeakably horrible is done that harms others and it gives them twinges of discomfort. Lots of people can ignore those feelings but some acknowledge them, speak out and in some cases work to attempt to make amends for the harm that was caused.

If you still don't understand then reverse engineer the situation, none of this could have occurrd without the legalization of slavery and the enforcement of the laws by the government. The city of Charleston is a governmental body which played a part in the destruction that occurred. It hurts them in no way to apologize for the human rights violations that the city as a government body engaged in.

I forgive them. They've wrong me exactly as much as they've wronged her.

I understand you think someone alive today is responsible for the actions of their ancestors. I'm merely judging you by your own racist standard.

You are not a slave, and I have never owned slaves. I owe you NOTHING. You owe me nothing. Move on!
So instead of merely answering "no I don't know the difference between race and nationality" you decided to instead just pile on the stupid huh? Are you the City of Charleston or any other governmental agency? If not, then what are you complaining about and how does an apology from the city of Charleston for the role that governmenal agency played in the enslavement of people of African descent adversely affect you? Hint: It doesn't.

And there is a hell of a lot that you don't understand about this topic and me specifically if you think I'm a racist or that I want money from you.

Last edited:

I forgive them. They've wrong me exactly as much as they've wronged her.

She will not forgive them.

And that's the point. YOu can't apologize to a mob. Because someone will always not be satisfied, and tomorrow they will be back with some other demand.

We cannot live in peace with this type of endless division.

I'm sorry every one on this forum is such an asshole to each other.

Does that count?

Is it ethically responsible to apologize for the moral transgressions of others? Is it sincere? Does it mean anything? Can I take responsibility for the actions that others have taken?

Folks need to take some elementary philosophy classes. Seriously.

Or is it, just empty and useless "virtue signalling?" Meant only to appease the less intelligent plebes?

Are we really going to let government elites manipulate us like this in lieu of real change?

Charleston formally apologizes for its role in slavery

A southern city is formally apologizing for its dark past.

Charleston, South Carolina, has approved a resolution that condemns and apologizes for the centuries of human slavery that were supported and promoted by its former lawmakers. The city council's 12 members voted 7-5 to adopt the symbolic resolution Tuesday night, coinciding with "Juneteenth," the celebratory anniversary of the abolition of slavery in the United States.

The port city played a major role in the Atlantic slave trade. Nearly half of the people who were abducted from their homes in Africa and shipped to the United States to be sold into slavery took their first steps on American soil in Charleston. Slaves made up almost half of the city's population before the start of the American Civil War, according to the International African American Museum in Charleston.

"This is the modern city council which feels the need to make an apology for the institution of slavery in the city of Charleston," Charleston councilman William Dudley Gregorie, who helped author and shepherd the resolution, told ABC News in a telephone interview before Tuesday's vote.

charleston-slavery-history-03-ap-jc-180620_hpEmbed_12x13_992.jpg
AP
As an African, have you apologized for your role in slavery?

Slavery in Africa - Wikipedia
You sound like an idiot. Thats like asking a rape victim to apologize for being raped. Why did you ask such a stupid question? :laugh:

When are the native Americans going to apologize for torturing whites to death and bashing out the brains of white infants?

When will these outrages be addressed?
When whites give all the land back they stole from native americans.
The natives didn't own it so they couldn't have anything stolen from them. Native Americans had no concept of land ownership.

When are the native Americans going to apologize for torturing whites to death and bashing out the brains of white infants?

When will these outrages be addressed?
When whites give all the land back they stole from native americans.
The natives didn't own it so they couldn't have anything stolen from them. Native Americans had no concept of land ownership.
Who told you they didnt own it? Sounds like a lot of ignorant white Rand bullshit to me. If they didnt have the concept of land ownership why did they fight among themselves over land? So again when whites give all the land back you will get your apology.

Charleston formally apologizes for its role in slavery

A southern city is formally apologizing for its dark past.

Charleston, South Carolina, has approved a resolution that condemns and apologizes for the centuries of human slavery that were supported and promoted by its former lawmakers. The city council's 12 members voted 7-5 to adopt the symbolic resolution Tuesday night, coinciding with "Juneteenth," the celebratory anniversary of the abolition of slavery in the United States.

The port city played a major role in the Atlantic slave trade. Nearly half of the people who were abducted from their homes in Africa and shipped to the United States to be sold into slavery took their first steps on American soil in Charleston. Slaves made up almost half of the city's population before the start of the American Civil War, according to the International African American Museum in Charleston.

"This is the modern city council which feels the need to make an apology for the institution of slavery in the city of Charleston," Charleston councilman William Dudley Gregorie, who helped author and shepherd the resolution, told ABC News in a telephone interview before Tuesday's vote.

charleston-slavery-history-03-ap-jc-180620_hpEmbed_12x13_992.jpg
AP
As an African, have you apologized for your role in slavery?

Slavery in Africa - Wikipedia
Thats like asking a rape victim to apologize for being raped.
Worst analogy ever.

Forum List

Back