The Can Am Spyder F3

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
It is my theory that almost no motorcyclists would have any interest in owning one of these Can Am Spyders. There are several minor reasons (cost, garage space, looks, performance, fuel economy), but to me the main drawback is that the Spyder eliminates the most enjoyable aspect of riding a bike, and that is the dynamic balancing of centrifugal force and gravity whilst going 'round a bend. That is one of main factors that makes riding a motorcycle enjoyable.

Far from being enjoyable, the experience of going fast around a bend on a Spyder is a real chore. With no possibility of leaning into the turn, the "rider" has to hold on for dear life just to keep from being thrown off the seat by centrifugal force. The rider's inclination is to go around the bend slower rather than faster.

(My theory on the Spyder is that it was not intended to attract riders of conventional motorcycles; it was intended to get Can Am's snowmobile riders to buy a "snowmobile for the road").

But from what I'm reading and seeing on Youtube, the makers of the Spyder have made some major changes to the F3 to address these complaints by motorcyclists. The seat of the F3 is almost four inches lower to the ground than previous year Spyders. And while the previous ones had a conventional street motorcycle seating position (feet more or less under the butt), the F3 has an adjustable cruiser seating position. Not only are the feet placed forward of the butt, but the footrests are on a bar, and can be adjusted to fit that rider's legs and riding preferences. The combination of the lower seat and the cruiser riding position change the experience from one of sitting "on" the trike to sitting "in" the trike, which is much more enjoyable. The physical stress of countering the centrifugal force is taken up in the upper legs and the butt - closer to the experience of a sports car, and from all reports it is just a dramatically better experience on the F3 than on previous and other models.

The Rotax 1330 three-cylinder engine is also faster and more economical than the original Spyder engine, although it is not unique to the F3.

On the downside, the F3 has lost most of its storage space due to the reduction in chassis height, and it does not have a standard windshield, so its use would be similar to that of a cruiser motorcycle. It's OK for local trips and cruising, but not so great for intercity travel or touring. Maybe a "full dresser" is coming later.

As I quickly approach my dotage, and recognize that I won't want to be hoisting an 800 pound motorcycle up onto its centerstand for much longer, I'm thinking some sort of a trike might be in my future. Maybe I'll just get a Voyager kit for the Goldwing but, hey, if I hit the lottery I might take a look at an F3 Spyder. It looks like fun.

Yes, there are a lot of options for bikes that are easier to man-handle. I would probably get another Pacific Coast if I decided to go that route. But the advantages of a Goldwing can't be retained on a smaller bike. The adjustable suspension and comfy back seat (for the benefit of the passenger), cruise control, stereo, reverse, etc. If I could retain all that stuff I would.

The 650 Burg has adjustable rear suspension (even my 400 does), cruise and stereo are easy to add. (Hell with a stereo, just grab a Sena system!) Also has ABS, power folding mirrors, and power adjustable windshield standard.

Forum List

Back