The Business of Government is to Promote Happiness or Business?

'We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity'

Did I disagree with that part? Part of the Preamble is rephrased in Article IV, Section 4.

However, you seem to believe that Taxing is the Purpose of government.

Taxing's just a MEANS for the first part. Thanks for agreeing

And you envision doing that without laws mandating compliance?
No.
I would expect government to provide civil and legal protections without engaging in any central economic planning; although, I wonder if that would include a central bank?:ack-1:

I wonder what that could possibly mean. Workers have the right to run their own businesses now, so I'm not sure what changes would be necessary to facilitate your vision.

I wonder what that could possibly mean. Workers have the right to run their own businesses now, so I'm not sure what changes would be necessary to facilitate your vision.
Workers have the right to start their own business, but if they choose to sell their labor to another, they don't receive the full value of their toil. Mondragon is one of the best examples of an alternative concept that I'm aware of:
"Noted poverty expert and sociology professor Barbara J. Peters of Southampton College, Long Island University, has studied the incorporated and entirely resident-owned town of Mondragón. 'In Mondragón, I saw no signs of poverty. I saw no signs of extreme wealth,' Peters said. 'I saw people looking out for each other…..It's a caring form of capitalism.'[1
Mondrag n - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Workers have the right to start their own business, but if they choose to sell their labor to another, they don't receive the full value of their toil.

They don't? Who says?

They don't? Who says?
"
Karl Marx[edit]
Part of a series on
Marxian economics

Concepts[show]
Topics[show]
Variants[show]
Works[show]
People[show]
Journals[show]
Related topics[show]
"Contrary to popular belief,[39] Marx opposed 'ascribing a supernatural creative power to labor', arguing that:

"Labor is not the source of all wealth. Nature is just as much a source of use values (and it is surely of such that material wealth consists!) as labor, which is itself only the manifestation of a force of nature, human labor power"

Labor theory of value - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The purpose of the government is to do what needs doing
If you had to choose...
rvsl.jpg

???

They don't? Who says?
"
Karl Marx[edit]
Part of a series on
Marxian economics

Concepts[show]
Topics[show]
Variants[show]
Works[show]
People[show]
Journals[show]
Related topics[show]
"Contrary to popular belief,[39] Marx opposed 'ascribing a supernatural creative power to labor', arguing that:

"Labor is not the source of all wealth. Nature is just as much a source of use values (and it is surely of such that material wealth consists!) as labor, which is itself only the manifestation of a force of nature, human labor power"

I'm not sure how that answers my question. The point is that the "value" of labor is a subjective quality. There's no objectively derivable "full" value of labor. Labor is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

They don't? Who says?
"
Karl Marx[edit]
Part of a series on
Marxian economics

Concepts[show]
Topics[show]
Variants[show]
Works[show]
People[show]
Journals[show]
Related topics[show]

I'm not sure how that answers my question. The point is that the "value" of labor is a subjective quality. There's no objectively derivable "full" value of labor. Labor is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Charles-Koch_minimum-wage.jpg

408493052f8ec10f129d8c817d420904.jpg

MinimumWageFDR.jpg

'm not sure how that answers my question. The point is that the "value" of labor is a subjective quality. There's no objectively derivable "full" value of labor. Labor is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
Does that mean human labor is not superior in value to capital or land?

'm not sure how that answers my question. The point is that the "value" of labor is a subjective quality. There's no objectively derivable "full" value of labor. Labor is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
Does that mean human labor is not superior in value to capital or land?

How do you mean? They're different things. How would you be comparing them?

They don't? Who says?
"
Karl Marx[edit]
Part of a series on
Marxian economics

Concepts[show]
Topics[show]
Variants[show]
Works[show]
People[show]
Journals[show]