The Bible contradiction thread

But I'll get into this with you.

Have you read them all?
I don't have discussions with morons, which I consider you one....but yes and not only that, but watched entire videos with scholars of ancient hebrew discuss them...

Are you fond of them? How's about the rape ones, for instance? I'm especially fond of how to treat your rapist and your slaves...fascinating!

You're not exactly holding back, are you? :lol:

As for the rest of your selective reasoning, you must be morbidly depressed, with preoccupations like that.
I notice you deflected, as per your usual. Link to the part of the board you've ever said anything informative, or even interesting at all...

all you do is drive-by neener posts that are vacuous and ill of substance. You're just a jerk-off. So, go and be one somewhere else because you're not smart enough to defend mitzvot.

Vacuous and ill of substance. Coming from you. lol

Didn't you mean 'devoid of'?
I meant what I said - bye Mindful, you clearly have nothing to offer to the discussion.

Of course not. There isn't any discussion. Coming from you.

The 613 commandments (611) in the Torah are all the evidence one needs that Secular Society has brought theistic ethics into the future, kicking and screaming, and abandoning their principles for better ones along the way. The nerve they'd have... to even ask if "atheists" can be "moral" when theism BORROWS its best ethics from secular society, and ABANDONS its indefensible ones, is amazing.

Twaddle.

As per usual.

And you try so hard to make it look good. With flatulent and unnecessary rhetoric.
That wasn't a substantive response. It's contradictory to say that God is the arbiter, and then changes his arbitration over time when society deems his commandments unethical.

Are you going to tell me God changed his mind on stoning people? I didn't think so.

Your world-view is completely ridiculous, and word is spreading fast in this day and age. Thank you, internet.

And you can't even answer a reasonable question, have you read the commandments?
That was answered.

Do you need your glasses, or can someone be called over to read it to you?

Problem is, my posts have been on topic and you're just doing your usual insecure bully-shit. It doesn't work on me, you're behaving like you're fuckin 12.

The 613 commandments (611) in the Torah are all the evidence one needs that Secular Society has brought theistic ethics into the future, kicking and screaming, and abandoning their principles for better ones along the way. The nerve they'd have... to even ask if "atheists" can be "moral" when theism BORROWS its best ethics from secular society, and ABANDONS its indefensible ones, is amazing.

Twaddle.

As per usual.

And you try so hard to make it look good. With flatulent and unnecessary rhetoric.
That wasn't a substantive response. It's contradictory to say that God is the arbiter, and then change his arbitration over time when society deems his commandments unethical.

Are you going to tell me God changed his mind on stoning people? I didn't think so.

Your world-view is completely ridiculous, and word is spreading fast in this day and age. Thank you, internet.

What 'world view'?

When insular folks like you don't even live in the world.

And you can't even answer a reasonable question, have you read the commandments?
That was answered.

Do you need your glasses, or can someone be called over to read it to you?

Problem is, my posts have been on topic and you're just doing your usual insecure bully-shit. It doesn't work on me, you're behaving like you're fuckin 12.

I'd rather be fuckin 10.

Twaddle.

As per usual.

That wasn't a substantive response. It's contradictory to say that God is the arbiter, and then change his arbitration over time when society deems his commandments unethical.

What 'world view'?

Deflection.

Twaddle.

As per usual.

What 'world view'?

Deflection.

Into what, you gutless wonder?

Twaddle.

As per usual.

What 'world view'?

Deflection.

Deflection.

Twaddle.

As per usual.

What 'world view'?

Deflection.

Deflection.

It is. On your part.

All this theatre and circumvention, because I asked a simple question.

:laugh2:

My apologies if this subject was already discussed (TLDR)...

I always thought a major contradiction was between the two birth narratives. It seems impossible to reconcile them and in general they make no sense. They only make sense if one assumes they were separate inventions added later to show how Jesus fulfilled different Jewish prophesies.

Alang,

Could you flesh that out a little bit. It sounds like an interesting question.

to which verses are you referring?
There are many contradictions I'll just focus on two.

Both authors place the birth in Bethlehem. However, according to Luke, the family originally lived in Nazareth and went to Bethlehem for a census (Luke 2:4-7), whereas according to Matthew the family settled in Nazareth only after their return from Egypt (this is evident from Matthew 2:23).

The whole census thing was a crude attempt to have Jesus of Nazareth be born in Bethlehem to satisfy a prophesy. When you think about it, a census that compels people to travel to their ancestral home is absurd. If I was asked I'd be hard pressed because my family moved around so which is my home and my family knowledge only goes back so far. Also why would the Romans care where you used to live, they'd want to know where you currently live for tax reasons. That is how other Roman census were conducted. The Romans kept excellent records and there is no record of a census around this time.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
The 613 commandments in the Torah are interesting, :lol: - :iyfyus.jpg:

Hebrew is mitzvot, or commandments by God...who straight up was coolio-high-harmonious with slavery and such.

Have you read them all?
I don't have discussions with morons, which I consider you one....but yes and not only that, but watched entire videos with scholars of ancient hebrew discuss them...

Are you fond of them? How's about the rape ones, for instance? I'm especially fond of how to treat your rapist and your slaves...fascinating!
Oh look, the moron called my "yes" answer, a circumvention of the question.

Can someone get her a towel?

Want to see a circumvention of a question, now? You'll have to...watch -

Why, in your guesstimation, are many of the ethics as described in the Torah no longer followed?

I gave you stoning, as one example -

Treatment of slaves, as another...

Treatment of rape victims, as another...

I could continue - but the point is made. You don't have anything of substance so you'll merely deflect from the fact that, as always, secular society drags theism along with it, ethically, as it always was.

Hebrew is mitzvot, or commandments by God...who straight up was coolio-high-harmonious with slavery and such.

Have you read them all?

Why, in your guesstimation, are many of the ethics as described in the Torah no longer followed?

I could continue - but the point is made. You don't have anything of substance so you'll merely deflect from the fact that, as always, secular society drags theism along with it, ethically, as it always was.

Tell me how you really feel.

:113:

Have you read them all?

Deflection.

You cower, deflect and play coy in order to avoid substantive responses...and I'm glad to once again demonstrate that so that anybody reading might save their time, in the future. What youre really deflecting from is your lack of ability.

Cool by me, to usher you past another bout with o.c.d.

The twat sections are to the South. Run along

My apologies if this subject was already discussed (TLDR)...

I always thought a major contradiction was between the two birth narratives. It seems impossible to reconcile them and in general they make no sense. They only make sense if one assumes they were separate inventions added later to show how Jesus fulfilled different Jewish prophesies.

Alang,

Could you flesh that out a little bit. It sounds like an interesting question.

to which verses are you referring?
There are many contradictions I'll just focus on two.

Both authors place the birth in Bethlehem. However, according to Luke, the family originally lived in Nazareth and went to Bethlehem for a census (Luke 2:4-7), whereas according to Matthew the family settled in Nazareth only after their return from Egypt (this is evident from Matthew 2:23).

The whole census thing was a crude attempt to have Jesus of Nazareth be born in Bethlehem to satisfy a prophesy. When you think about it, a census that compels people to travel to their ancestral home is absurd. If I was asked I'd be hard pressed because my family moved around so which is my home and my family knowledge only goes back so far. Also why would the Romans care where you used to live, they'd want to know where you currently live for tax reasons. That is how other Roman census were conducted. The Romans kept excellent records and there is no record of a census around this time.

The Gospels contradict themselves.

For example, the first one, (can't remember which one) lists the whole genealogy of Jesus, descending from David.

Have you read them all?

Deflection.

You cower, deflect and play coy in order to avoid substantive responses...and I'm glad to once again demonstrate that so that anybody reading might save their time, in the future. What youre really deflecting from is your lack of ability.

Cool by me, to usher you past another bout with o.c.d.

The twat sections are to the South. Run along

Where to?

For example, the first one, (can't remember which one) lists the whole genealogy of Jesus, descending from David.
Yes they do. If you want to understand why, I recommend Bart Erhman.

Matthew and Luke give two contradictory genealogies for Joseph (Matthew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38). They cannot even agree on who the father of Joseph was. Church apologists try to eliminate this discrepancy by suggesting that the genealogy in Luke is actually Mary's, even though Luke says explicitly that it is Joseph's genealogy (Luke 3:23).

Yes they do. If you want to understand why, I recommend Bart Erhman.

Matthew and Luke give two contradictory genealogies for Joseph (Matthew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38). They cannot even agree on who the father of Joseph was. Church apologists try to eliminate this discrepancy by suggesting that the genealogy in Luke is actually Mary's, even though Luke says explicitly that it is Joseph's genealogy (Luke 3:23).
Or by doing what Hobelly does - claim that it was wrong on-purpose to draw a treasure map

Forum List

Back