The Best Hike in Every National Park

:woohoo:
I really need to go to Alaska and multiple other places.
Great post. I have hit several of these and planning on several more before too old, hopefully some this year, if I can keep PJ from booking another one place beach house vacation, instead.

Great post. I have hit several of these and planning on several more before too old, hopefully some this year, if I can keep PJ from booking another one place beach house vacation, instead.
It's one of my favorite things to do.

Alltrails.com has a great resource.

Not sure if you're anywhere near there but Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is a hidden gem. About 1/5 of the visitors you'll find at the big 5 in Utah and incredibly unspoiled.

Not sure if you're anywhere near there but Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is a hidden gem. About 1/5 of the visitors you'll find at the big 5 in Utah and incredibly unspoiled.
I'm a subscriber over at alltrails.com. I want to go to Utah.

1642986882031.png

I am surprised they left out the National Park at Trunk Bay on St. John - US Virgin Islands

The trail is actually underwater, complete with markers identifying the surrounding wildlife and whatnot.
You can do the trail snorkeling but be careful coming around the seaward side of the Island.

We ran into three blacktip sharks at that spot.

Black Canyun of the Gunnison is awesome! I did that on with my sons back in my climbing/rappelling days.

I'm a subscriber over at alltrails.com. I want to go to Utah.
If you've never been to Bryce Canyon...its not to be missed. Not sure how much of a hiker you are but Bryce gives you the opportunity to see most of the "good stuff" from a few feet outside your car or you can hike down to Wall Street. Also....In Utah...don't miss Cedar Breaks, Dead Horse Point or Dixie National Forest. That is in addition to the Big 5.

Still..Alaska.

1642991993304.png

That little dot at the bottom....is a 17-20 deck ship...

Rappelling BCOG looks like a death wish to me. NO WAY!!!! Its straight down.

I do some hiking but mostly what some would call "glamping"....

Yeah ... it would be a good idea to make sure you bring enough rope if rappelling.
And don't let anyone give you a hard time about "glamping", because that would be entirely counterproductive in the first place ... :auiqs.jpg:

Rappelling BCOG looks like a death wish to me. NO WAY!!!! Its straight down.

View attachment 592003

I do some hiking but mostly what some would call "glamping"....
It was a many step, group rappel down, not from a straight down point. Worse was getting the 4 of us the hell back up the climb out of there, cresting the rim shortly after dark.

If you've never been to Bryce Canyon...its not to be missed. Not sure how much of a hiker you are but Bryce gives you the opportunity to see most of the "good stuff" from a few feet outside your car or you can hike down to Wall Street. Also....In Utah...don't miss Cedar Breaks, Dead Horse Point or Dixie National Forest. That is in addition to the Big 5.

Still..Alaska.

View attachment 592005

That little dot at the bottom....is a 17-20 deck ship...
Jeezuz, that picture is so awesome. I've been checking out your places online.

View attachment 591964

I am surprised they left out the National Park at Trunk Bay on St. John - US Virgin Islands

The trail is actually underwater, complete with markers identifying the surrounding wildlife and whatnot.
You can do the trail snorkeling but be careful coming around the seaward side of the Island.

We ran into three blacktip sharks at that spot.

Devil's Tower in Wyoming has some good hikes.

The main one is the Tower Trail, which is more of a nice walk than it is a traditional hike. It's a 1.3 mile paved path around the base of the tower. This is the one I did, as I was traveling and didn't want to get too behind.

The longest one is the Red Beds Trail, which is 2.8 miles.

I took this shot from the entrance road back in 2013:

4768417_orig.jpg

Mount Rushmore is pretty cool, as well. There's really only one "hike", though. The Blackberry Trail is a moderately strenuous one mile gravel trail that connects with the Centennial Trail in the Black Elk Wilderness, part of the Back Hills National Forest.

I didn't take this shot from that trail, as I opted for the constructed walkway within the confines of the park (which is also a nice, leisurely walk):

mr03.jpg

The only thing I would add to the Cautions included at the site, is that there are sea urchins and fire coral along the trail.
Both can be rather painful ... Go with someone that knows what they are doing.
The site did mention the idea of "knowing your limits" and never do it alone.

Thanks again for finding the site though.

According to HLN News and CNN, there are 62 national parks in the United States. White Sands NP in New Mexico is the 62nd NP. There is nuclear radiation in the museum in Grand Canyon NP in Arizona. There is quicksand in Zion NP in Utah. Indiana Dunes NP is Indiana's first national park.

There are 22 national parks in South Korea. :)

According to Convoluted Universe: Book One by Dolores Cannon, "Bigfoot makes clicking sounds and noises like animals do." Check out my topic on 'Mysterious disappearances in national parks' on the Paranormal board. David Paulides warns us about going to national parks and remote places around the world.

David Paulides recommends you take a Personal Locator Beacon with GPS on your hike into a national park. He also recommends you tell someone where you are going and when you will be back home. David Paulides Missing 411 website is www.canammissing.com

Forum List

Back