The Best Date You Ever Had!

While it didn't seem so at the time, though I did giggle a bit, Spring of '79. My now ex wanted to do something, "I really wanted to do." So I asked him if he rode horses? He said, "Yes." I'm starting to laugh now.

We drive up to north shore, Arabian stables. It had been real rainy, so trails were slick. Um, he lied about having real riding experience. He got on, the horse bolted out the inside track, straight for the Des Plaines River. :lol: He was thrown on the bank. :lol::lol:

As I said, didn't know it at the time, but has been a great memory for many years now.

:lol::lol::lol: should last you a lifetime.
Well so far the best date. Perhaps better ones to come. ;)

My best date: going biking on sunday morning with a pretty boy... yeah, that was pretty special. Or sunday morning going for a walk to my favorite coffee-shop with a beautiful stranger... Or... a bike date that ended in our favorite night-club... Mmmm.. it usually revolves around bikes and/or sunday mornings...

Sweet...

An spring afternoon of walking around Boston with a girl that I once knew.

We didn't do anything special except get to know each other.

Despite the fact that I'm a girly girl, the best was at Slinger speedway. I got the track to myself for an hour.. Most fun I ever had...

Why was it so special?

It was September of 1964, I was 23, and I had gotten out of the Marine Corps a month before. My sister set me up with a blind date with her children’s baby sitter; a young lady putting herself through college at IU. She met me at the home where the young lady was boarding, introduced us, and left us alone without further ado. I instantly saw this was so much the girl of my dreams, I followed her into her walk-in-closet like a smitten puppy-dog when she went to get her coat. To this day I can still remember the skirt, sweater and shoes, and jewelry she wore that evening, but not the coat.

We married August 29th, 11 months later.

It's been a great adventure ever since!

Last edited:
Why was it so special?

It was September of 1964, I was 23, and I had gotten out of the Marine Corps a month before. My sister set me up with a blind date with her children’s baby sitter; a young lady putting herself through college at IU. She met me at the home where the young lady was boarding, introduced us, and left us alone without further ado. I instantly saw this was so much the girl of my dreams, I followed her into her walk-in-closet like a smitten puppy-dog when she went to get her coat. To this day I can still remember the skirt, sweater and shoes, and jewelry she wore that evening, but not the coat.

That is the sweetest story!

You can't go wrong marrying an IU Gal! :cool:

The best date I ever had involved a woman I know who teaches yoga.

Oh my goodness!

Why was it so special?

That is the sweetest story!

You can't go wrong marrying an IU Gal! :cool:
I don't want to make this crass or mundane, or any less sweet but right out of the USMC I applied for unemployment benefits, after all I was entitled because of my service, yada, yada, yada.

But my future bride told me, when she’d found that out, that she “couldn’t date a man who chose to be unemployed”, so I turned it down, cancelled my application by finding a job. By April next we’d saved up enough to put $1,100 on a half acre parcel in the country; then we used that real-estate to leverage a mortgage to build a new home on the empty parcel. It was completed in September, a month after we were married. We had to get a judge’s order to allow her to sign the mortgage documents because she was not yet 21, and still a minor.

If we could do it, anyone with the proper inspiration, could do it. She was a minor college student, and I was a marine corps veteran with only a high school diploma; only in America.

Last edited:
It was April of '89 and it started with a movie: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and His Lover at the Angelika Film Center on Houston St. To this day, I still haven't decided if I liked that movie or not. Very bizarre to say the least. If I remember correctly, there were aspects of cannibalism in this movie. We then headed over to 8th Avenue for my first and last taste of Indian food. Realized I preferred Italian. Afterwards, we drove into Chinatown to pick up dessert: honey bow ties...mmmm. NYC is the most exciting place to be when you're in love. This was the most memorable date. The best date is too hot to discuss here...

Forum List

Back