The Best Albums of All Time?

Of the Top 20-these two are my favorites:

# 8. Hotel California - Eagles (Should be all of them)
#13. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (Should be all of theirs, too)

George Michael at 20... ridiculous
Nevermind is one of the worst albums of all time...
The Joshua Tree... gag me
4 Led Zep albums... ludicrous
Metallica's Black Album was the beginning of their decline and hardly their best, let alone one of the tops of all time

That is the worst "best album" list ever. First off, I don't understand putting Born In The USA on that list while leaving off Born To Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town.

No Meat Loaf? No Clash? Songs in the Key of Life the number one album?? It's not even Stevie Wonder's best album (that would be Innervisions).

Rumours.. .ok. Fair enough.

Metallica??? Blech...

Freaking Zepplin? Floyd?? Awful boring ...

Van Halen?????????????? But no Green Day?

Bizarre.

That is the worst "best album" list ever. First off, I don't understand putting Born In The USA on that list while leaving off Born To Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town.

No Meat Loaf? No Clash? Songs in the Key of Life the number one album?? It's not even Stevie Wonder's best album (that would be Innervisions).

Metallica??? Blech...

Bizarre.

Well of course. But this was THIS guys formula-and a lot of it was based on American record sales, not taste. That's why it's fun to put the list down!

The initial group of albums selected was based solely on sales. Please know that I believe sales alone are probably the worst measure we have of an album's quality and I will speak to how I addressed this problem in a few. But as a starting point sales made the most sense. Sales are by no means the only measure of a "great album", but without big sales an album doesn't have much footing on which to claim the moniker "greatest". A vote with a dollar is a much stronger indicator than any other.

Metallica??? Blech...

Bizarre.

You shoulda just stopped at not understanding putting Born.... on that list. Dudes a freakin no talent having hack that sounds like he's choking on marbles.

Can't take someone who thinks metal is music that seriously.

Thanks anyway...

That's the kind of closed-minded comment that makes it hard to take you seriously on the subject. There are some extremely talented musicians in all genres of music, from what I've experienced, and they're putting out good music. A good many metal musicians are classically-trained, and there are some interesting articles in music academics comparing and contrasting the two (metal / classical). I read an article in a journal a number of years back making the case that metal was the closest to classical of the modern music forms (assuming you're dealing with the good metal bands, not the pop stuff by and large). It was interesting but I doubt many people saw it because it was in the academic literature.

Not getting into the merits of the point, but it was interesting. Also, when you hear of bands playing with opera houses in Finland, or with the LSO, or with symphonies in places like Prague, it's typically the metal bands (maybe again because many of the musicians, particularly in the European bands, are classically-trained).

Anyway, it's a wildly varied and in-depth topic. Your statement just evidences ignorance of the subject matter in the same way anyone dismissing out of hand an art form demonstrates ignorance.

One decent source would be an articles called "Going For Baroque," about Swedish metal guitarist (and classical guitarist in his case) Yngwie Malmsteen.

The academic journal was published by Oxford University Press if I recall correctly, but I doubt I'll be able to track it down.

Last edited:
My statement was directed at the nasty little comments made by someone else... werent' they?

Perhaps, but they were also directed at an entire genre of music; a genre I doubt you even know much about.

At least you got the Springsteen right. I still put The River in the CD player on a fairly regular basis. It usually go in with some good metal :)

I don't know about albums of all time...I'd have to think of that long and hard. I'd throw in Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. A healthy dose of Pavarotti. Some of the newer metal acts that are putting out some complex stuff. Would be hard to decide.

If we're looking at just the last decade or so I'd say Radiohead's OK COMPUTER goes on the list too.

Perhaps, but they were also directed at an entire genre of music; a genre I doubt you even know much about.

At least you got the Springsteen right. I still put The River in the CD player on a fairly regular basis. It usually go in with some good metal :)

Well, if you read my thread of the other night, you'd have seen I went to my 59th show.. hence the intentionally meanspirited little comments.

I think a lot of metal is ugly... just do. And normally I wouldn't insult any genre of music b/c there's generally something of it that I would like.

But like I said, I was responding to a particularly nasty little petty comment.

Well, if you read my thread of the other night, you'd have seen I went to my 59th show.. hence the intentionally meanspirited little comments.

I think a lot of metal is ugly... just do. And normally I wouldn't insult any genre of music b/c there's generally something of it that I would like.

Ok. Congrats on the Springsteen show. That would be great fun.

I get the same kind of defensiveness on metal. I listen mostly to metal, classical, and opera, and get to listen to comments from fans of each about the other. Most of them don't know what they're talking about. Heh.

Speaking of 'metal'. Have you watched the Gene Simmons TV show? I hated KISS, when it was popular ... but love his show. :lol: I even liked Ozzie's show .... but it was because he is so brain dead ... it was funny. :oops: .... I probably should have not said that, huh? :eek: That is :offtopic:

Forum List

Back