The Beatles - Music Or Magic?

This is one of the all-time GREAT love songs. I've been playing it on the guitar (including the solo) since 1964, and have played it many times in clubs, with my former band, and used to get lots of requests for it.
You've mentioned your musical prowess many times. Perhaps you could post a video of yourself playing so we can witness it first hand. If you're good, I will acknowledge it, I promise.

Musically, this is the only time I ever felt sorry for John Lennon.

There are two guitar leads in this song and unfortunately for John, he plays the first one and Clapton comes in right after him and it's just fucking embarrassing!

I'm sorry John, you're no Clapton!
!

John was a rhythym guitarist. George Harrison was the lead (melody) guitarist of the Beatles.

Speaking of Chuck Berry and his influence on The Beatles...
Pay attention at about 1 minute into it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDoy4LDDCg]Chuck Berry -"You Can't Catch Me" (From the 1956 film Rock, Rock, Rock!) - YouTube[/ame]

This is one of the all-time GREAT love songs. I've been playing it on the guitar (including the solo) since 1964, and have played it many times in clubs, with my former band, and used to get lots of requests for it.
You've mentioned your musical prowess many times. Perhaps you could post a video of yourself playing so we can witness it first hand. If you're good, I will it, I promise.

Thanks. I don't really need acknowledgement (I've had it for 50 years), and besides the guitar, I also play the mandolin, fiddle, and harmonica). I'm not sure how to get a video of myself (and keep me anonymous) into this forum, but if I can find someone to help me with it, I will do that. I suppose I could make a video without my face showing.
Some of the instructional guys do that, like a Rolling stones DVD I have.

I am better technically, with musical instruments, than I am with computers.

Last edited:
I'd rather have John the composer than Clapton the annoying Arpeggio One.
Can that guy play one f*ing riff without going all arpeggio?

You've mentioned your musical prowess many times. Perhaps you could post a video of yourself playing so we can witness it first hand. If you're good, I will it, I promise.

Thanks. I don't really need acknowledgement (I've had it for 50 years), and besides the guitar, I also play the mandolin, fiddle, and harmonica). I'm not sure how to get a video of myself (and keep me anonymous) into this forum, but if I can find someone to help me with it, I will do that. I suppose I could make a video without my face showing.
Ok. When, approximately, do you think you'll have it?

Ok. When, approximately, do you think you'll have it?

I won't. I'm about to be forum banned by westwall, who thinks he's God.

Freddie and the Dreamers were better......here let me show you.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LjJ4WlaZpY

wasnt that magic?....

Those moves look doofishly threatening today!

Scary and absurd. One can hardly imagine them as teen heart throbs, even in the goofy 60's.

Here is their final concert.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9fkCFxN5JU#t=53[/ame]

Freddy has since passed away.

Uploaded on Feb 10, 2007

This was Freddies very last recorded performance in July 2000

Its been 5 years since my boss and good friend ,
sadly passed away on May 19th, 2006,
Freddie Garrity passed away in Wales whilst on holiday.
He was 69 and will be sadly missed by thousands of people
the world over.

To me, he was a friend and a teacher.
He taught me how to have fun with music and
how to entertain people. He was a master of this.

During the six years that I performed as a Dreamer with Freddie,
I took hundreds of hours worth of home video film.

We travelled the world from Europe to the Caribbean,
Australia and America.

In 2004, I compiled all this film into an interesting
one hour and ten minute video
featuring the best parts of my travels with Freddie.

The film includes many of my favourite tracks which Freddie
recorded way back in the Sixties with the original Dreamers.

This film is an intriguing insight into the working band
that was to be Freddie's last set of Dreamers.

You can obtain a copy of my dvd at
http://nico1960s.weebly.com/freddie--...

Musically, this is the only time I ever felt sorry for John Lennon.

There are two guitar leads in this song and unfortunately for John, he plays the first one and Clapton comes in right after him and it's just fucking embarrassing!

I'm sorry John, you're no Clapton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPA8TGNjqjs

And Yoko, will you please shut up!

amen to that.....when John did that gig in NYC with Zappa, i bet Zappa could not believe how John could let that womans voice destroy his recordings.....this is one good song ruined by her infernal wailing.........

WTF After watching that clip.. WHAT THE HELL? I don't get why the hell he let her screech and belt out pure shit on stage?

im sure Zappa was wondering the same thing....

Last edited by a moderator:
To explain this in Navy terms, there aren't too many people in the Lennon Class of composers.

- Paul
- Jagger/Richards
- Townsend
- Dylan
- Fogerty (John)
- Bruce​
It's not a very big list.

The Beatles opened up the door for everyone. Music started evolving at an alarming rate. So many talented youths found success because The Beatles broke the mold. Even Elvis saw the writing on the wall and wished The Beatles success during the Ed Sullivan Show, knowing he had just been dethroned.
It was a great time to be alive.

Elvis wasnt a creator....by that i mean he did not compose....he just performed.....he is called the King of R&R....i dont think he was....Chuck Berry was the king....he composed and had a lot of musical influence on the 60's guys....including his guitar riffs....

As a rock guitarist myselfmyself, I confirm what you say. Chuck Berry was awesome on the guitar. An innovator and inspiration for the British bands that came later. One of his riffs was recorded in 1970 by the Rolling Stones, on the song "Brown Sugar" (which I still play to this day)

not taking anything away from Elvis, he was good at what he did....but he was just a good looking white kid with a great voice....the guy standing behind him playing lead was the real gem in that band....Scotty Moore.....

A few days after John Lennon's slaying the wife of an older associate of mine candidly shared with us that she couldn't understand all the public expressions of grief and outrage and sorrow over the shooting.

'After all, she said, it was nothing compared to the impact of Elvis' death.'

Like her, I'm guessing you were not in the right demographic to have been touched by "Beatlemania" or, more importantly, by their music.

Therefore, you'd be missing one important ingredient which was part of the Beatles' phenomenon, when making your assessment.

Music is only partially appreciated, if at all, if it does not emotionally affect you.

Please let me know the music you like more than the Beatles'.

Although, I once dated a girl who didn't like music at all.

Strangest thing.
We all grew up with the Beatles.

To the Woodstock generation, Lennon's death was like the Kennedy assassination.

I know I'll never forget the moment I heard the news. I was partying with friends at a buddy's apartment and it was a really great night. We were all drinking, smoking pot and laughing pretty hard at the dumbest shit. And when I say "laughing", I mean laughing so hard your sides started to hurt. And we were also listening to the radio.

And it was during one of those hysterical laughing rants, someone in the living room goes, "Hey, someone just got shot."

"Hey, everybody shut-up!"

"Who got shot?"

"I dunno, it's someone big."

"Well, who was it?"

"I didn't get the name."

"They just said he died!"

"Who?"

"I don't know!"

Then we heard the words, John Lennon.

There was roughly 20 people in the apartment at the time and not a word was spoken by anyone after that moment. Not one word. The whole apartment went silent. Then everyone just kind of filed out at their own pace and left.

And that was it.

Definitely magic but we're talking witchcraft. One of the highest witches in the Druid Council of 13 - a high priest who left the occult - John Todd said the White Album is the most sacred album to witches worldwide. I did not know of this prior to that but I would never listen to any Beatles music again. Nor any other form of rock and roll. It takes a while to find out how dangerous such things are including listening to the wrong music! It sure did for me! I'm glad I know now! - Jeri

Dude...your turnip truck just arrived!

To explain this in Navy terms, there aren't too many people in the Lennon Class of composers.

- Paul
- Jagger/Richards
- Townsend
- Dylan
- Fogerty (John)
- Bruce​

Jim Steinman
Harry Chapin

Last edited:

- Paul
- Jagger/Richards
- Townsend
- Dylan
- Fogerty (John)
- Bruce​

i would add

Brian Wilson
Neil Young
Ray Davies
Steve Winwood