The battle for the "Big Fuckin Deal" begins tomorrow!

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
3 days of testimony begins tomorrow at the SCOTUS for the constitutionality of Obamacare.

Thoughts or predictions? And a live feed isn't available is it?

3 days of testimony begins tomorrow at the SCOTUS for the constitutionality of Obamacare.

Thoughts or predictions?

I can't predict what the SCOTUS will do, but I have an if-then prediction.

IF the court strikes down all of Obamacare, or the individual mandate, we will have a single-payer system within four years.

If it lets Obamacare stand, we will have a single-payer system within twelve years, but not necessarily in four.

As for the live feed, I don't think that Supreme Court trials have ever been televised, so I'd tend to doubt it.

• Banned

Thoughts or predictions?

I can't predict what the SCOTUS will do, but I have an if-then prediction.

IF the court strikes down all of Obamacare, or the individual mandate, we will have a single-payer system within four years.

If it lets Obamacare stand, we will have a single-payer system within twelve years, but not necessarily in four.

As for the live feed, I don't think that Supreme Court trials have ever been televised, so I'd tend to doubt it.

I don't see q single payer if its struck down. Congress will never go for that after the damage they took from passing this. As to your second point, I'm confident that was the plan all along. Hopefully it fails also.

This is probably the most important issue the SCOTUS has ever presided over. The outcome will either turn America into a tyrannical state, or set precedent to uphold the constitution.

I shudder to think of the America to come should they decide in favor of the individual mandate.

Last edited:

This is probably the most important issue the SCOTUS has ever presided over. The outcome will either turn America into a tyrannical state, or set precedent to uphold the constitution.

I shudder to think of the America to come should they decide in favor of the individual mandate.

A good chunk of Liberty could be lost.

The problem is, if struck down or repealed, it won’t be replaced with anything, not in this hostile political climate.

And millions will go without health insurance, just as planned by the GOP.

In addition, the Act’s more popular and beneficial components – such as guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions and coverage for adult children up to age 26 – will also be lost.

• Banned
There are people camped outside the building. Been there for 3 days hoping to be the first in line to get seats. I just don't understand why a live feed is not allowed. One pool camera. Let everyone see what's going on rather than a select few who had nothing better to do in their lives than camp on a public sidewalk.

The problem is, if struck down or repealed, it won’t be replaced with anything, not in this hostile political climate.

In addition, the Act’s more popular and beneficial components – such as guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions and coverage for adult children up to age 26 – will also be lost.

Don't forget we want to kill puppies too

Even though the law is 100% constitutional, the SCOTUS will strike it down in its entirety. After all, this is the same SCOTUS that granted personhood to corporations.

The law will be stricken, nothing will be offered in its place, the GOP will celebrate and then lose every election for the next decade.

I think we're unlikely to see anything beyond the private insurance expansions overturned, so the Medicaid expansion in the law will probably be kicking in just over a year and a half from now as scheduled. If it turns out coverage can't be expanded using private payers, my guess would be that the next step is a push for a Medicare buy-in for 50-year-olds and up.

That polled well two years ago and would presumably be framed as a sustainability argument for the program. I could see that being enacted within 4-5 Congressional sessions. So you'd have Medicaid eligibility for any American under 138% of the poverty line and access to Medicare for anyone 50 or older. I suppose there's also the possibility of just opening Medicare up for anyone to buy into or creating a different public option for anyone to access. But a buy-in for 50-year-olds seems like a much easier lift and support for it could probably be cobbled together fairly quickly. I doubt you'd see anything like an actual single-payer program across all ages and incomes.

Although if the Court were to do something very unexpected and very radical, like not only throwing out the entirety of the ACA but also opening the door to eliminating Medicaid itself, then I think scenarios like yours become a little more plausible.

That's exceedingly unlikely.

Last edited:

They will rule it is constitutional, by a 2 vote margin. But, first they may wait until the individual mandate rule goes into effect in 2014.

:badgrin:

And somehow "plan" for most Americans to be without health insurance? WHY would the GOP PLAN that?

Why?

They are pretty cute.

And somehow "plan" for most Americans to be without health insurance? WHY would the GOP PLAN that?

What the GOP wants is an America, where every American lives in fear of being one paycheck away from being homeless.

That way Americans are pliable. And willing to put up with shit wages while the wealth extractors get even more mind numbingly wealthy.

This might help..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjkdynBFHuQ]The One Dollar Bet - Trading Places (8/10) Movie CLIP (1983) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back