The battle for the "Big Fuckin Deal" begins tomorrow!

and your a dunce

Ah, then you can explain to all of us what it means for Congress to promote the general welfare, and how that, apparently, has nothing to do with health.

Thanks!

Why, when this is all you will do? :lalala:

Just know this.... it wasnt intent on putting 2/3 of the US economy in one basket under the gov'ts control.

No sir-ey Bob.... The gov't was to protect the ability for all Americans to be able to supply themselves with a living. Some excel at it, and some not so much... but we all have the right to do that for ourselves.

I dont want the gov't supplying everything for me.... no sir-ey Bob, I will buy my own insurance. At least till Obamacare makes it obsolete.

So you think "promote the General Welfare" means "do nothing and let people figure it out on their own" ?

Interesting.

The concern of the government for the health, peace, morality, and safety of its citizens.

Providing for the welfare of the general public is a basic goal of government. The preamble to the U.S. Constitution cites promotion of the general welfare as a primary reason for the creation of the Constitution. Promotion of the general welfare is also a stated purpose in state constitutions and statutes. The concept has sparked controversy only as a result of its inclusion in the body of the U.S. Constitution.

The first clause of Article I, Section 8, reads, "The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States." This clause, called the General Welfare Clause or the Spending Power Clause, does not grant Congress the power to legislate for the general welfare of the country; that is a power reserved to the states through the Tenth Amendment. Rather, it merely allows Congress to spend federal money for the general welfare. The principle underlying this distinction—the limitation of federal power—eventually inspired the only important disagreement over the meaning of the clause.

According to James Madison, the clause authorized Congress to spend money, but only to carry out the powers and duties specifically enumerated in the subsequent clauses of Article I, Section 8, and elsewhere in the Constitution, not to meet the seemingly infinite needs of the general welfare. Alexander Hamilton maintained that the clause granted Congress the power to spend without limitation for the general welfare of the nation. The winner of this debate was not declared for 150 years.

In United States v. Butler, 56 S. Ct. 312, 297 U.S. 1, 80 L. Ed. 477 (1936), the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated a federal agricultural spending program because a specific congressional power over agricultural production appeared nowhere in the Constitution. According to the Court in Butler, the spending program invaded a right reserved to the states by the Tenth Amendment."
General Welfare legal definition of General Welfare. General Welfare synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Read the whole thing, liberals. You obviously need the education.

Last edited:
Having accepted the case portends deference for the plaintiffs ... as only one jurisdiction sided with the dissenters.

Supreme Court Expands the Power of Eminent Domain

The case of Kelo v. City of New London, however, involved a new trend among cities to use eminent domain to acquire land for the redevelopment or revitalization of depressed areas. Basically, the use of eminent domain for economic, rather than public purposes.

in the above ruling the Supreme Court allows for "economic" purposes the reason for confiscation of property - there could be a similar argument made for the mandatory enrollment requirement in the ACA.

Ah, then you can explain to all of us what it means for Congress to promote the general welfare, and how that, apparently, has nothing to do with health.

Thanks!

Just know this.... it wasnt intent on putting 2/3 of the US economy in one basket under the gov'ts control.

No sir-ey Bob.... The gov't was to protect the ability for all Americans to be able to supply themselves with a living. Some excel at it, and some not so much... but we all have the right to do that for ourselves.

I dont want the gov't supplying everything for me.... no sir-ey Bob, I will buy my own insurance. At least till Obamacare makes it obsolete.

Exactly. General welfare meant protecting individual Liberty...Do Be Stupid just cannot wrap whatever greymatter he has at his command around the thought. He thinks Government is to call the shots no matter what.

He has NO idea of the Founders except that they are dead, and have been for a couple hundred years.

Actually, T, I agree with Thomas Jefferson's description of it:

"[T]he laying of taxes is the power, and the general welfare the purpose for which the power is to be exercised. They [Congress] are not to lay taxes ad libitum for any purpose they please; but only to pay the debts or provide for the welfare of the Union. In like manner, they are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare, but only to lay taxes for that purpose.”
The Papers of Thomas Jefferson - Home

Based on that, it actually sounds like both of you disagree with Thomas Jefferson.

Do you even understand what he wrote?
HE says explicitly that the general welfare clause is not a catch all that enables the gov't to do whatever it wants. That would make a mockery out of the idea of limited gov't. If it were as you say, there would be no constraints on federal power whatsoever, as everything can be "for the general welfare."

HE says explicitly that the general welfare clause is not a catch all that enables the gov't to do whatever it wants. That would make a mockery out of the idea of limited gov't. If it were as you say, there would be no constraints on federal power whatsoever, as everything can be "for the general welfare."

Like I said... all ya gonna git iz

:lalala:

'it dont fit my agenda'

I think it's pretty obvious he was saying that Congress can raise money and spend that money on the welfare of the country.

I think it's pretty obvious he was saying that Congress can raise money and spend that money on the welfare of the country.

You disagree with Thomas Jefferson? Why?

Exactly. General welfare meant protecting individual Liberty...Do Be Stupid just cannot wrap whatever greymatter he has at his command around the thought. He thinks Government is to call the shots no matter what.

He has NO idea of the Founders except that they are dead, and have been for a couple hundred years.

"[T]he laying of taxes is the power, and the general welfare the purpose for which the power is to be exercised. They [Congress] are not to lay taxes ad libitum for any purpose they please; but only to pay the debts or provide for the welfare of the Union. In like manner, they are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare, but only to lay taxes for that purpose.”

Based on that, it actually sounds like both of you disagree with Thomas Jefferson.

Seems you don't understand what he wrote.

Any dumbass can quote another persons words... its a bit harder to demonstrate ones work on scratch paper.

'DontBeStupid' needs to learn how to not be stupid... :lol:

Is the Constitution a Suicide pact between the Government, and the citizenery?

Then tell me where I'm wrong.

Because, it sounds to me, like Jefferson agrees with me that Congress can raise money to spend on the welfare of the country, something many of you disagree with.

Then tell me where I'm wrong.

Because, it sounds to me, like Jefferson agrees with me that Congress can raise money to spend on the welfare of the country, something many of you disagree with.

tumblr_lz0mi9NCVN1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Forum List

Back