The “anti-austerity” riots in Greece

Ohhh, we're so skeered...a few thousand cowboys up against the United States military? :lol:

You seem to think that it will be right wing riots. It'll be the left - that's whose rioting in Greece.... those who are gonna lose the welfare tit. That's who they're talking about, maggie. You seem to think it would be right wing riots. Right winger know how to do austerity. It is liberals who have a problem with it.

As I said, I know exactly what HE (Pale Rider) is talking about. Those like him, Patek, Mr. T., etc.,ARE right-wing lunatics. It's one thing to peacefully protest big government and high taxes; it's quite another to see the hundreds of posts on blogsites containing actual threats of a coup BY THE RIGHT WING FRINGE ELEMENTS against the U.S. Government, which just happens to be run by a Democratic majority. These guys are just itching for a bloody fight on our own lands. Civil War redux.

I don't see any correlation between the rioting in Greece to what could happen here. For one thing, the U.S. government no way in hell is going to simpy CUT OFF, say food stamps and allow its citizens to starve. "Liberals" (I presume you mean those evil welfare recipients) are not going to storm the White House like the poor stormed the Bastile, for God's sake.

No, I don't mean welfare recipients when I say 'liberals'. I differentiate between the drooling left (I call them lefties) and those who hold liberal political views (liberals).

If we have to bring in 'austerity measures' in the US, it is the right wingers who will not bitch. Historically, those are the people who suck it up and get on with it. The main rioters in Greece are public sector employees and welfare recipients. If it were to happen here - it would be the same. Generally, those people are lefties, not liberal and not right wing.

I see three things here. One is total crap about the military problems or Greece. Another is the strong similiaries of Greece to America's problems in some regards. Finally, the inability to fix those problems. BTW, why is it the TRAGIC END of Metapolitefsi as the article title states? Sounds like they should have ditched it form day one.

You dont think spending so much money on the military could cause some problems? The EU should have given assistance to help protect the border.

Tax evasion was an acceptable policy. That means no one paid taxes.

"Greek finance ministry is using Google Earth software to track down the owners of (the) pools, which tax inspectors consider an indicator of wealth, and which have often been built illegally."

No one capitalized on the Olympics either.

This is no indicator of what could happen here. To say so is ludicrous.

Ludricrous...but wishful thinking on Pale Rider's part....he's like Charles Manson...hoping for a race/class war.

Why is it that certain posters can read a post and come up with some absolute drivel about what that poster meant or hopes for?

There seems to be a significant minority who are capable of a HUGE LEAP of imagination when it comes to deciding what other people mean.

You dont think spending so much money on the military could cause some problems? The EU should have given assistance to help protect the border.

"Greek finance ministry is using Google Earth software to track down the owners of (the) pools, which tax inspectors consider an indicator of wealth, and which have often been built illegally."

Ludricrous...but wishful thinking on Pale Rider's part....he's like Charles Manson...hoping for a race/class war.

Pale Rider's part? Not even quoted in the post. Explain.

I think class/race wars are what Obama is trying to start. Look there first.

Obama has been trying to level the playing field since the Bush Administration saw to it that the top 2% were the biggest recipients of tax cut windfalls that never "trickled down." In the words of Warren Buffett in describing who benefits most from those tax cuts, "...if that's class warfare, then my class is winning."

I'll take "What is the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878" For $1,000 Alex...

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey, it's got the word "posse" in it, so the cowboys get all excited. If any member of the U.S. military chose to fight with alongside militants against the United States Government, they too would be considered traitors.

To BHO and his Party perhaps,........ BUT not necessarily to the American People and their Constitution.

Hey, it's got the word "posse" in it, so the cowboys get all excited. If any member of the U.S. military chose to fight with alongside militants against the United States Government, they too would be considered traitors.

To BHO and his Party perhaps,........ BUT not necessarily to the American People and their Constitution.

"Treason" is the only crime defined in OUR Constitution. I always find it more than ironic when people on the right demand that the American people and their politicians adhere precisely to the tenets within the Constitution...except of course those clauses therein that they don't particular like...such as Section III, Part 3.

I'll take "What is the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878" For $1,000 Alex...

:lol::lol::lol:

Only if the government won the hypothetical war. Otherwise, they'd be heroes.

Why is it that certain posters can read a post and come up with some absolute drivel about what that poster meant or hopes for?

There seems to be a significant minority who are capable of a HUGE LEAP of imagination when it comes to deciding what other people mean.

Obviously the reason is having read numerous postings by the same people espousing the same type of thing. I have yet to read anything posted by some of the people here, like Pale Rider, that don't contain a threat and usually not a very veiled one either. As I said, it's not too difficult to figure out exactly where he's coming from. If this thread had stuck to the actual topic, without the intrusion of fringe elements, it would read entirely different.

Only if the government won the hypothetical war. Otherwise, they'd be heroes.

Well they wouldn't win, so there's no point in discussing it.

Hypothetically. Can I count on you to stop discussing this?

I see three things here. One is total crap about the military problems or Greece. Another is the strong similiaries of Greece to America's problems in some regards. Finally, the inability to fix those problems. BTW, why is it the TRAGIC END of Metapolitefsi as the article title states? Sounds like they should have ditched it form day one.

You are totally clueless. Note the parts I put in bold. The Greeks are to blame for the Greeks problems period. We are closer everyday to having no one paying taxes here. When was Greece invaded along their border since the 40's?

I did look at what you highlighted as bold. I gave you the facts. Call me clueless if you want but I am not. We all pay taxes simple as that. Whoever told you we dont is lying to your face. If we didnt pay taxes our government wouldnt be so "big".

About Greece and possible conflict, look it up. I did, it wasnt hard.

Of course they are to blame, I never said they werent.

You are totally clueless. Note the parts I put in bold. The Greeks are to blame for the Greeks problems period. We are closer everyday to having no one paying taxes here. When was Greece invaded along their border since the 40's?

I did look at what you highlighted as bold. I gave you the facts. Call me clueless if you want but I am not. We all pay taxes simple as that. Whoever told you we dont is lying to your face. If we didnt pay taxes our government wouldnt be so "big".

Possible conflict? Possible conflict, give me a break. No you didn't say Greece wasn't to blame, but the entire article you supported sure does. So what should someone conclude from that? No one in Greece pays taxes? Exaggerate much? I think you got caught.

Fact is Greece has debt problems , taxation issues and a government largely unresponsive to the people. I think that describes the US quite well at the moment.

Possible conflict? Possible conflict, give me a break. No you didn't say Greece wasn't to blame, but the entire article you supported sure does. So what should someone conclude from that? No one in Greece pays taxes? Exaggerate much? I think you got caught.

Fact is Greece has debt problems , taxation issues and a government largely unresponsive to the people. I think that describes the US quite well at the moment.

The article I posted gave a short version of what happened to Greece. I dont know if it has a slant.

When there could be a possible conflict countries build up. That is a fact.

Im not exaggerating about the taxes there-

Greek Tax-Dodgers Threaten Papandreou’s Plan to Cut Budget Gap
Greek Tax-Dodgers Threaten Papandreou?s Plan to Cut Budget Gap - Bloomberg.com

Greek Wealth Is Everywhere but Tax Forms
Greek Wealth Is Everywhere but Tax Forms - NYTimes.com

How Tax Evasion Is Complicating Greek Rescue Efforts
How Tax Evasion Is Complicating Greek Rescue Efforts - Business - The Atlantic

The dark side of Greece's economic ills
BBC News - The dark side of Greece's economic ills

Look up my facts.

Obama has been trying to level the playing field since the Bush Administration saw to it that the top 2% were the biggest recipients of tax cut windfalls that never "trickled down." In the words of Warren Buffett in describing who benefits most from those tax cuts, "...if that's class warfare, then my class is winning."

Transferring income from the working middle class to government bureaucrats and public employee unions is hardly my definition of "leveling the playing field".

JScott, you said no one pays taxes. The article seems to point towards many people not paying their full share. Quite a different story than what you claimed. The first article is almost entirely heresay. Sounds like the small business people are getting squeezed by the government pretty hard in Greece. Sound familiar?

JScott, you said no one pays taxes. The article seems to point towards many people not paying their full share. Quite a different story than what you claimed. The first article is almost entirely heresay. Sounds like the small business people are getting squeezed by the government pretty hard in Greece. Sound familiar?

I didnt say "no one" paid taxes. What I said is that tax evasion has become normal practice in all walks of life in Greece starting in about 2000.

The first article wasnt hearsay it was a short description of how Greece deteriorated to what it is today.

No where in my links was small business brought up, actually one said business and workers were practicing tax evasion. So everybody was corrupt.

Last edited:

Transferring income from the working middle class to government bureaucrats and public employee unions is hardly my definition of "leveling the playing field".

Union members, whether public or private, are normally "working middle class," and not CEOs, who have their own union. It's called the buddy system.

Union members, whether public or private, are normally "working middle class," and not CEOs, who have their own union. It's called the buddy system.

Interesting note however? Government Worker Unions outnumber those that attached themselves to private sector companies.

IT'S TRUE

And what happened to Greece? It all boils down to government meddling. It's going on here too. Answer this? Are WE "too big to FAIL"?

Was Greece?

Interesting note however? Government Worker Unions outnumber those that attached themselves to private sector companies.

IT'S TRUE

And what happened to Greece? It all boils down to government meddling. It's going on here too. Answer this? Are WE "too big to FAIL"?

Was Greece?

The government didnt meddle. How do you figure? What it really is is that people just said screw it to paying taxes. If a government has no income they fail.

We (most of us) pay taxes so youre analogy is flawed.

Forum List

Back