The Annual BCS Rant

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
Cross posted from the blog linked at my signature.

I love Football. IF you are reading from outside the USA I am talking about American Football of course. But, I hate the NCAA division I bubbas. I mean, when are these bozos going to figure out that they need a structured playoff leading to a national title? It's a joke, it's a farce. It's the one election in America that needs to be scrapped.

The pros have two seasons. The regular season where you vie for a playoff berth, and then the playoffs that lead to the Superbowl. Here in Texas, each High School team belongs to a district based on school size. Districts lead to Regions which go to Areas and then to a state championship. It is structured so that there isn't any ambiguity.

Today, my daughters HS (the undisputed district champion) faced another district champ for the regional title. We lost unfortunately. But, we don't have to wait till Monday to have a bloody election among the coaches and (of all things) sports writers to pick one.

I find it amazing that the NCAA still cannot get the picture and improve it's program. This year the top five ranked teams were upset at a rate of at least one a week. I am watching OU whip up on Mizzou right now. Mizzou is ranked number 1, yet OU is favored to win the Big12. But, a national title? The commentators are arguing now over who might get a BCS berth.

Just say no, to elections and software.

Demand a playoff system.

Your country needs you, right now.

OSU vs LSU for the NC. I think a case could have been made for OU and SC. The problem is that the schools don't want to give up that BCS money for a playoff, at least that's what they say. I think you could market an 8 team playoff format and the schools could make more profits.

OSU vs LSU for the NC. I think a case could have been made for OU and SC. The problem is that the schools don't want to give up that BCS money for a playoff, at least that's what they say. I think you could market an 8 team playoff format and the schools could make more profits.

Problem is that you can make a case for OU and I believe Florida as well. If Mizzou and WV hadn't lost yesterday, a case for them as well.

I agree, an eight team playoff would work. You would still need the BCS software to select the top eight out of all the Conference Champs.

Or, just do a tournament of champions, using the Conference Champs. That would be a twelve team playoff.

Do you know anything about college football? Do you seriously want to watch the 2004 season BCS Championship game over again?

OU and SC? LSU played and beat 4 different teams from two conferences in the BCS top 25 at the time of their selection. OU beat two different teams from one conference (one of them twice), and USC had beaten ONE team in the BCS top 25 (plus lost to STANFORD AT HOME).

So how you can even suggest that USC or OU should have been in the championship, I can't quite figure out.

Forum List

Back