The Ancestral Diet: What it is, Benefits, and How to....

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Since the paleo diet became popular in the early 2000s, there has been a hot debate about what and what is not the true ancestral diet.

Paleo refers to the paleolithic period that spanned from 3.3 million years ago to the dawn of agriculture around 10,000 year ago.

During this period, human physiology evolved in close relationship with the foods our ancestors ate.

The view follows that an ancestral diet can benefit our health by realigning our eating habits with our evolutionary physiology.

• Banned
^ Some of these nutrients specific to meat include:

I lost a bunch of weight by eating mostly deer meat, eggs, beans, and garden veggies. There wasn't even a name for it back then that I was aware of, just something a old country doctor recommended to me.......I lost 120 pounds and never felt stronger.

Since the paleo diet became popular in the early 2000s, there has been a hot debate about what and what is not the true ancestral diet.

Paleo refers to the paleolithic period that spanned from 3.3 million years ago to the dawn of agriculture around 10,000 year ago.

During this period, human physiology evolved in close relationship with the foods our ancestors ate.

The view follows that an ancestral diet can benefit our health by realigning our eating habits with our evolutionary physiology.

Other than the absence of modern/processed foods, there has been no single ancestral diet for the last 100,000 years. Geography and local climate conditions were the main determinants of what people ate. The question I have is whether the addition of these newer foods has positively or negatively affected affected general health and longevity. Are there any scientific studies which answer this question?

• Banned
I lost a bunch of weight by eating mostly deer meat, eggs, beans, and garden veggies. There wasn't even a name for it back then that I was aware of, just something a old country doctor recommended to me.......I lost 120 pounds and never felt stronger.

Did you give up bread?

They sell deer meat on the farmers’ market, but it‘s rather pricey.

Plant-based and pescatarian diet is probably the healthiest, but it depends on what you're seeking. You can lose weight with a high-protein and high-fat diet like the popular keto fad, but that's not a healthy diet long-term. Even if you lose weight, it's bad for cardiovascular health.

As for the whole paleo fad, there's debate on just how 'natural' animal protein is in terms of our dietary consumption. Nuts, grains, legumes, tubers, and fruits have probably been in our evolutionary history a lot longer than meat.

Six thousand years ago humanity's ancestral diet consisted of leaves, roots, vegetables, fruit, but no apples.

You can hunt your own and then find a processor
I killed/processed my own deer.....I believe they charge around $75.00 (basic price) to process (skin/cut-up/vacuum pack) one now.

Since the covid many of the processors quit doing it and never went back due to the labor shortage. Fewer deer were killed in my AO this season due to that too.

The fuckin' things are everywhere. I bet I could walk out back and flush at least two to five with no trouble at all.

What with the mild winter I bet every doe that was of breeding age during the rut is carrying at least two fawns now.

Basically (with some guardrails) you can kill all you want during deer season in my county.

And Paleolithic life spans where 30-40 years.

So I went to the market today, and bought myself some deer meat. (Venison)

I got interested in your diet, not because l need to lose any weight, but because it sounded interesting.

What vegetables did you eat?

~ " Fish and eggs are the perfect food for humans ."
" The only thing that can harm our body is lack of use."

~ Jack LaLanne

Forum List

Back