The American problem? Our "poor" have it too easy.

$12/hr x 50hrs/week = 34320 gross, ~27500 net.
Thats more than $2200/mo.

Maybe YOU can't live on $2200/mo net, but that in no way means that MOST people can't.

Have you seen the rents here? I'll help you out. new york city all apartments classifieds - craigslist don't forget, you'll need 1st, last and deposit for most places and in 60% of places, you'll have to pay a broker's fee of on month's rent up to 12% a year's rent. Good luck w/ that $2200 A MONTH. :lol:

Also, your math's a little off.

$12 x 50 hours a week = $28,800 gross or $17,280 net (fed, state and local taxes). That leaves $1440 a month.

You are an employee in a company making 48K a year with no responsibility which is evident by your posting on here during working hours. Your bias against large business is quite evident. Your bias against progress is also quite evident. I do not hold either against you. You are entitled to yoiur sentiments. Progress and big business is not for everyone. I respect that.

You don't know anything about me, asshole. When I post on my "working hours", I am either on break, at lunch or not in the office (like today). And what about you? You are on here ALL DAY EVERY DAY?

Maybe YOU can't live on $2200/mo net, but that in no way means that MOST people can't.

Have you seen the rents here? I'll help you out. new york city all apartments classifieds - craigslist don't forget, you'll need 1st, last and deposit for most places and in 60% of places, you'll have to pay a broker's fee of on month's rent up to 12% a year's rent. Good luck w/ that $2200 A MONTH. :lol:

$12 x 50 hours a week = $28,800 gross or $17,280 net (fed, state and local taxes). That leaves $1440 a month.

What fool would live in NYC making 12 an hour?
THey would do what most people do...get an apartment in Yonkers, or western Long Island...or the Bronx....share a 2 bedroom with 3 other people....2 in a room....with a rent of 1000 a month.....250 a person.....leaving them 1200 a month for expenses....tkae off the 75 per person for utilities......leaves them 1125.....when you take off commuting of 125 a month.......it leaves them 1000 for food and other essentials.

250 a week for food and other essentials is not a lot...but it is not impossible.

Or is sharing an apartment not fair to the poor?

Have you seen the rents here? I'll help you out.
Convenient sample.
Here's another:
new york all apartments classifieds - craigslist
$12 x 50 hours a week = $28,800 gross
No... it's 660/wk = 34320 gross.
or $17,280 net (fed, state and local taxes)
40% of your gross is taken in taxes?
How stupid do you have to be to live somwhere that the government(s) take 40% of your earnings?
That's still $1716/mo.

Simple question..

In countries where the poor do not have it easy.....does that make them not be poor anymore?

Most countries have a strong family/community ethic.
Single motherhood is still something to be embarrassed about and not celebrated in music or society. So they can band together and help each other out in times of great need.

In other countries your fucked. If you are born poor you have no chance to move up.

In America an homeless person can become a business owner.
A welfare queen can become an author or a famous comedian.

Sadly, for people that lack "talent" and will have to work thier way out, it's very very hard. Rent is a killer by comparison. You can go from paying $25/month to $1200 for the same thing, so you squeeze into a much smaller place. All that assitance for bills goes away, so you do the winter cold and the summer hot. Food stamps go. So you stop drinking certain things and learn to love that tap water, beef becomes a luxory item.

If it just sucked a little bit to be on welfare, the country would be much better off, in an all around sense.

You are an employee in a company making 48K a year with no responsibility which is evident by your posting on here during working hours. Your bias against large business is quite evident. Your bias against progress is also quite evident. I do not hold either against you. You are entitled to yoiur sentiments. Progress and big business is not for everyone. I respect that.

You don't know anything about me, asshole. When I post on my "working hours", I am either on break, at lunch or not in the office (like today). And what about you? You are on here ALL DAY EVERY DAY?

Everyday?
No.
Often?
Yes.
Why?

I have 12 employees. We slowed down alot.....so I had a choice.....I could have laid 2 of them off...or...

I take a lot less home than I usually do and keep them on...and let them work...leaving me very little to do...

It was my way of giving back....

SO now I have one employee making a lot more than I am this year (and last) and I laid NO ONE off in the recession edespite me beiung in the recruiting business.

And as for your posting on lunch...you said that last time....but were still posting 2 hours later...and 3 hours later.

So you not jusyt naive.....you are also a liar.

Exactly. The poor have a free ride. They do better taking a handout than they could working. Why work?

When the educated "did everything right" former middle class workers can't even find a job, how in the hell do you expect the poor to do so? I have news for you, sparky. Working 2 or even 3 minimum wage jobs does not exactly catapult you into the middle class (or even make up for one living wage job). Add in a family, and you're stuck. EXACTLY HOW DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO CLIMB OUT OF POVERTY WHEN THERE ARE NO DECENT JOBS???

How do yo expect people to work their way out of poverty when it's a better life if they don't work at all?

Exactly Two Thumbs !!!!!! You have to hold a job in order to advance!!
I get tired of people who say they cant get ahead because the man is holding me back!!!
And then you look at there work ethic and it's pathetic!! When you get a job the idea is to advance,not stay static. If thats your plan you can count on being poor for life.
I'm forty five and i've never been laid off in my life....because I made sure I had value to the company through hardwork and dedication.
The work ethic I see in most cases is what makes people poor.

Convenient sample.
Here's another:
How stupid do you have to be to live somwhere that the government(s) take 40% of your earnings?
That's still $1716/mo.

12x50 is 600 a week
31,200 a year.

You are both wrong.

$12 x 50 hrs a week = 600 gross x 4 = $2400/month
$2400 gross x 12 is $28,800 a month

Were are you getting 34320 gross?

And yes, here in NYC, taxes come to about 40% of your income (unless you're a hedge fund manager or already rich and live off dividends, and then it's a lot less).

Last edited:
Convenient sample.
Here's another:
That's still $1716/mo.

In another thread several weeks ago, Peepers said her rent was 14K a year.....now assuming she has a roommate as any normal thinking person would in the NYC area....her rent is 28K a year for her apartment...

She does not realize it...but she is a fool that poays 28K for rent.

Me?

Mortgage and taxes is 36K a year...for a large 4 bedroom 3 bath split....and I have equity....and I write off the interest and the taxes.....

She is not just naive...she is a fucking moron.

$12 x 50 hrs a week = 600 gross x 4 = $2400/month
$2400 gross x 12 is $28,800 a month

Were are you getting 34320 gross?

And yes, here in NYC, taxes come to about 40% of your income (unless you're a hedge fund manager or already rich and live off dividends, and then it's a lot less).

asshole...there are only 48 weeks in a year?

I always thought there were 52 weeks in a year...

12 an hour 50 h0ours a week equals 31,200 a year.

In another thread several weeks ago, Peepers said her rent was 14K a year.....now assuming she has a roommate as any normal thinking person would in the NYC area....her rent is 28K a year for her apartment...

Me?

Mortgage and taxes is 36K a year...for a large 4 bedroom 3 bath split....and I have equity....and I write off the interest and the taxes.....

I live by myself and it's none of your business what my rent is. I am able to pay it. I do not want to buy a house in NYC, because I don't plan to stay here forever - I'll probably leave in the next 2 years to start my farm. And if you really must know, I think I have much more of a clue than you do.

The absolute absurdity of allowing yourself to be raped by the state aside...
Thats still more than $1700/mo net.

It's where my industry is and it's just as expensive to live in any other major port city.

The absolute absurdity of allowing yourself to be raped by the state aside...
Thats still more than $1700/mo net.

It's where my industry is and it's just as expensive to live in any other major port city.

Ahhhhh....No it's not. Houston would be a major port city....and I promise you it's waaaaaay cheaper then NY.
Oh and if youd bought a house you would have some equity to put down on that farm of yours. Hope the rent wasnt so high that you couldnt put an equal amount in savings.
Because you've been screwing yourself otherwise.
And to say different shows your dishonest and dont want to admit you screwed up.

Me?

I live by myself and it's none of your business what my rent is. I am able to pay it. I do not want to buy a house in NYC, because I don't plan to stay here forever - I'll probably leave in the next 2 years to start my farm. And if you really must know, I think I have much more of a clue than you do.

no Peepers...

You said in another debnate that you cant afford to pay 3600 in healthcare becuase your rent is so high.
You calimed to make 48K....with a take home of 34000
You said your rent was 14K leaving you 20K after rent....
that 20K is approcimately 380 a week.
After cleaners and food and commuting....and of course....entertainement....you claimed you did not have enough for the big bad capitalist socierty cost of healthcare..

But you see...that is your choice...

You COULD rent in Yonkers or Corona for 700 a month....or 8400 a year.

But for the extra 6 K you preferred a shorter commute?

And, of course....you cant afford the extra 3600 for healthcare......

Forum List

Back