The American problem? Our "poor" have it too easy.

I was one of them. I grew up poor. And thank God I grew up as a "poor" person in America............because unlike the rest of the world, I had all the opportunities to work myself into a middle class life. I took advantage of a free public education and my parents made me get good grades (or else!). Took advantage of several chances to improve my future, and did so.

Had I grown up poor in just about any other country on Earth, I'd have remained poor.

But in America, staying in our poor class is a choice. That choice is much easier made in youth, and the choice to get out of it gets harder as one gets older.

Ah yes....I have NO doubt that our veterans living on the streets and eating out of garbage cans, CHOOSE to do so. Twit.

It's mostly true. It's a known fact that the majority of homeless people are homeless in large part to drug use. So the homeless CHOOSE to do drugs, thus, spend money on dope, not hope.

As far as vets, they got out of the military. They CHOSE to leave a steady job, or CHOSE to act in a way to get kicked out. If they are disabled, then they have means to get by without being homeless, unless they are spending that disability money on drugs.

I'd argue 99.9% of poor people are STILL poor or BECAME poor because of bad choices. No one is forced to be or remain poor.

And here we have a Compassionate Conservative, folks. Take a good look.

So what do you all suggest we do?

Let the poor starve and our economy will boom right?

My opinion?

They WON'T starve. Necessity breeds independence. How many run-down, seldom used parks or playgrounds are around poor neighborhoods? Plenty. It's just dead space. Space that crops can grow. Or people can fish. Or OPEN THEIR OWN BUSINESS.

If you keep handing out free food stamps, they'll NEVER use the resources around them. Thats what you libs don't get.

You left wingers DON'T BELIEVE IN HUMANITY!!!!!

I hate poverty. People are capable of so much more. But if you keep telling them they can't overcome, they can't do it, they start to believe it. ANYONE of any race or gender can make it!!! From ANY starting point. But you all simply don't believe in people and their ability. I do. But I also believe it's easy to convince some that they can't do it, that they are in too deep to get out on their own, and thus, must depend on the government.

I disagree. If we believe in the people, they'll thrive. But we first gotta stop convincing them that they can't do it without Daddy Government.

so now you are spouting a right wing lie?

Many of the programs you seek to see end are training and education programs which help people believe in their own abilities and expand them.

You have to tell yourself lies to keep believing what the right wing tells you about me and my fellow lefties.

The day you stop believing these lies is the day you can help us fix this country.

Until you accept the real reality you fight against any fixes.

Exactly. The poor have a free ride. They do better taking a handout than they could working. Why work?

Poverty is like a bed.

The more comfortable a person is in it, they longer they'll stay in it.

We've made American Poverty an envious position for 95% of the rest of humans on Earth. No wonder our poor aren't in a big hurry to get out of it. It's an easy life.
when you figure these people are used to nothing, even poverty levels are a step up for them. Before welfare and social programs people found a way to make it work out. Because they had to. Handouts take away a lot of the incentive.
Before Social Security many seniors went hungry.

Ah yes....I have NO doubt that our veterans living on the streets and eating out of garbage cans, CHOOSE to do so. Twit.

It's mostly true. It's a known fact that the majority of homeless people are homeless in large part to drug use. So the homeless CHOOSE to do drugs, thus, spend money on dope, not hope.

As far as vets, they got out of the military. They CHOSE to leave a steady job, or CHOSE to act in a way to get kicked out. If they are disabled, then they have means to get by without being homeless, unless they are spending that disability money on drugs.

I'd argue 99.9% of poor people are STILL poor or BECAME poor because of bad choices. No one is forced to be or remain poor.

The system won't allow me to neg rep you anymore...

Your "opinion" is yours and you are allowed to have it. However, to speak of so many of our homeless vets in such a manner relegates you to the trash pile.

Exactly.

Bottom line is if you are poor in America, it's because you made decisions to get there, or have made decisions to stay there. There is not evidence to disprove that.
Which is why these liberal idiots can do nothing better than throw out catch phrases like "corporate greed" with no explaination attached.

Blame the poor for our downfall because they control so much of our economy.

How massively self deluded does someone have to be to manage to accept such silliness?

The poor dont control enough power to take us down.

Maybe you should look at the people who actually have power if you want to know how we got here.

The poor aren't holding us down or pulling us down.

The mindset of charity that our middle and upper class have towards the poor is what allows for a society that will not allow the poor to starve to death in our streets. We as a society have such charitable hearts that we allow our gov't to nearly go bankrupt by having massive entitlements to ensure a relatively easy life for our "poor".

However, there are far too many who take advantage of that as a way to never take responsibility for themselves. So when a time like now comes, where entitlements are really bankrupting us, we cannot cut them without a lot of heartache. Too many people are too dependent on them. We created a culture of dependency. And thats a problem.

And you'd like to change that mindset, wouldn't you?

Poverty is like a bed.

The more comfortable a person is in it, they longer they'll stay in it.

We've made American Poverty an envious position for 95% of the rest of humans on Earth. No wonder our poor aren't in a big hurry to get out of it. It's an easy life.
when you figure these people are used to nothing, even poverty levels are a step up for them. Before welfare and social programs people found a way to make it work out. Because they had to. Handouts take away a lot of the incentive.
SS isn't a hand out. You pay into that all you working life. You get back based on what you put in.

Mexico being a craphole and us not being a craphole caused illegal immigration. Why we haven't sealed the border is a combination of special interests and politics.

BUT I'll say this: Illegal immigration is a PERFECT example of how to back up my original premise.

A Mexican sees an American in poverty as "rich" compared to being in Mexican poverty. A Mexican who flees here is CHOOSING to attempt to no longer be poor in Mexico. It's risky, but he is CHOOSING to stop being a poor Mexican, and CHOOSING to attempt to be a poor American (which is rich in comparison to a poor Mexican). And when our "poor" choose to stop being poor in America, they too will take drastic measures to improve their lot.

But right now, being poor in America is too comfortable for that.

And here we have a Compassionate Conservative, folks. Take a good look.

Yes, take a close look. Does reality look different than the world you see through Oboggles (I'm claiming credit for that term btw, Obama + Goggles = Oboggles, brilliant, I know).

It is fact. You were in the military. You were taught personal accountability, right?

People CHOOSE their way in life, and CHOOSE to either stay there or find a way to improve it.

Kinda funny.

Stossle interviewed a woman that had been on welfare her whole life. she would drop her kids off as paid for by us daycare then spend the day at the beach. When workfare came along, much of the ended. She needed work and education.

Turns out she's now a published author living a better life than she had before.

But hey, fuck that, children went hungry!!, uhm wait, there were no hungry children.

funny how libs support a failed system, constantly.

Mexico being a craphole and us not being a craphole caused illegal immigration. Why we haven't sealed the border is a combination of special interests and politics.

BUT I'll say this: Illegal immigration is a PERFECT example of how to back up my original premise.

A Mexican sees an American in poverty as "rich" compared to being in Mexican poverty. A Mexican who flees here is CHOOSING to attempt to no longer be poor in Mexico. It's risky, but he is CHOOSING to stop being a poor Mexican, and CHOOSING to attempt to be a poor American (which is rich in comparison to a poor Mexican). And when our "poor" choose to stop being poor in America, they too will take drastic measures to improve their lot.

Exactly. Our poverty level is more than they could make busting their ass working in their country. And here they get it for free. They live in assisted housing and send money back home. They are totally fleecing our system. It has nothing to do with corporate greed.

Blame the poor for our downfall because they control so much of our economy.

How massively self deluded does someone have to be to manage to accept such silliness?

The poor dont control enough power to take us down.

Maybe you should look at the people who actually have power if you want to know how we got here.

The poor aren't holding us down or pulling us down.

The mindset of charity that our middle and upper class have towards the poor is what allows for a society that will not allow the poor to starve to death in our streets. We as a society have such charitable hearts that we allow our gov't to nearly go bankrupt by having massive entitlements to ensure a relatively easy life for our "poor".

However, there are far too many who take advantage of that as a way to never take responsibility for themselves. So when a time like now comes, where entitlements are really bankrupting us, we cannot cut them without a lot of heartache. Too many people are too dependent on them. We created a culture of dependency. And thats a problem.

And you'd like to change that mindset, wouldn't you?

I sure would. See, if your poor became independent, that mindset would have no reason to exist, as we wouldn't have to worry about anyone starving in the streets.

Our poor have an obesity crisis, btw. We are far from that:cuckoo:

Kinda funny.

Stossle interviewed a woman that had been on welfare her whole life. she would drop her kids off as paid for by us daycare then spend the day at the beach. When workfare came along, much of the ended. She needed work and education.

Turns out she's now a published author living a better life than she had before.

But hey, fuck that, children went hungry!!, uhm wait, there were no hungry children.

They not only support it, they created it.

SS isn't a hand out. You pay into that all you working life. You get back based on what you put in.

Spouses put into it? Dependent children put into it?

I see where you are going with this...make our poor as bad as Mexico's poor and illegal immigration stops. Ah Ha!

Exactly. Our poverty level is more than they could make busting their ass working in their country. And here they get it for free. They live in assisted housing and send money back home. They are totally fleecing our system. It has nothing to do with corporate greed.

They sure are, but I'm 50/50 in opinion. I hate that illegal immigration occurs, but I admire the willingness of many of them to flee their shithole homes to attempt to change their plot.

The average Mexican illegal immigrant expends more effort in 1 day than any 10 welfare queens in America expend in 1 month as far as work goes. At least the Mexicans are willing to CHOOSE to attempt to raise themselves out of poverty.

Bottom line is if you are poor in America, it's because you made decisions to get there, or have made decisions to stay there. There is not evidence to disprove that.

We are all a product of the decisions we make. The poor probably make worse decisions than the rest of us. They also have a non-existent support structure to help them make the right decisions and lack a safety net for when they make a wrong decision.

Many of us can point to a bad decision we have made in our life. If you are poor, the consequences of that decision is magnified. Daddy is not there to make it all better. There is no uncle who owns a business and offers you a job. You have no place to go to get a loan and nobody is offering you any financial backing.

It is a tough road to travel and not everyone makes it

Kinda funny.

And all our poor are JUST LIKE HER.

Where do you people get the idea that you are owed anything in life. I don't. I was raised to provide for myself. When push comes to shove, there is no one else I can look to for providing for my needs other than myself. Certainly not a government. I'm not rich, but I'm comfortable. I'm comfortable because I understand how the world works. If I want or need something, I have to do what it takes to obtain that want or need. I don't expect some truck to roll around and just hand it to me. Life is about choices. Always has been and always will be. I've been to other countries. I've seen real poverty in nations that have no middle class and no opportunity. It is totally different in the US. The means are there for anyone choosing to rise above their current state of affairs. In addition to the handout social programs, there are many handup social programs. Guess which one is the easier route to choose? The handout. You get something for nothing. The handup programs require you to put forth some effort to pull yourself out of poverty. Some people choose this route. Many don't. They CHOOSE to remain in the condtion they are in because they are lazy and it is easy. Are there people in real need in this country that we have a moral obligation to assist? Of course there is, but they are a small minority in comparison to the many who just want to exist off the gubmint teat. Why is that so hard to admit? Can't never did anything and too many of these people claim they "can't" get ahead.....when in reality, they "won't" take advantage of the programs that could lead them out of their poverty.

Forum List

Back