The ‘Agnew Option’ could be a way out for Trump — and America

Deal. Say, the beginning of Q3? If Trump is charged with any crime commited before today by July 1st, I win. If he isn't, you win.

I can't rightly hold our bet to whatever crazy shit Trump does in the coming months. This will strictly be backward from today.

Does that seem reasonable?
Very much so. I appreciate your being game!

You gotta deal.

Please remind me if I lose. I'm not a welcher. I'll likely remember the bet, but not who I made it with.

Very much so. I appreciate your being game!

You gotta deal.

Please remind me if I lose. I'm not a welcher. I'll likely remember the bet, but not who I made it with.

My only caveat is that I would include charges from say, Georgia for election interference as well.

Any charge, state or federal, not just the DOJ.

We should be clear-eyed about what the January 6th Committee’s referral yesterday represents: It is a tragedy for American democracy.

The prospect of having a former president subject to criminal prosecution opens a Pandora’s Box of future dangers and is almost certain to make our politics more dangerous. There will likely be abuses of criminal prosecutions in the future.

The fact that this former president is already a declared candidate for president in 2024 makes the tragedy larger because it encompasses not just the past and the future, but the present, too.

There are no good outcomes on offer. Consider them:

• The government chooses not to prosecute: which incentivizes future attempts to overturn elections and legitimizes the stoking of political violence.
  • The government prosecutes and loses: which both legitimizes the stoking of political violence and antagonizes the passions of more than a third of the country.
  • The government prosecutes and wins: which creates open season for using the government to pursue political enemies, throws the 2024 Republican primary into disarray, and turns Trump into a martyr for his movement.
There is no happy ending here, no scenario in which a rough comity returns to our political life. In every path, the danger to democracy increases.

We should be clear-eyed about what the January 6th Committee’s referral yesterday represents: It is a tragedy for American democracy.

The prospect of having a former president subject to criminal prosecution opens a Pandora’s Box of future dangers and is almost certain to make our politics more dangerous. There will likely be abuses of criminal prosecutions in the future.

The fact that this former president is already a declared candidate for president in 2024 makes the tragedy larger because it encompasses not just the past and the future, but the present, too.

There are no good outcomes on offer. Consider them:

• The government chooses not to prosecute: which incentivizes future attempts to overturn elections and legitimizes the stoking of political violence.
  • The government prosecutes and loses: which both legitimizes the stoking of political violence and antagonizes the passions of more than a third of the country.
  • The government prosecutes and wins: which creates open season for using the government to pursue political enemies, throws the 2024 Republican primary into disarray, and turns Trump into a martyr for his movement.
There is no happy ending here, no scenario in which a rough comity returns to our political life. In every path, the danger to democracy increases.

Trump isn't going to accept the 'Agnew' solution. Making all of this moot.

We have two options: hold Trump to the law. Or hold him above it.

Trump isn't going to accept the 'Agnew' solution. Making all of this moot.

We have two options: hold Trump to the law. Or hold him above it.
you're Trump's spokesman now? well i guess that's that. CLOSE THE THREAD!

I'm pointing out the fatal flaw in the entire proposal: Trump's ego.

Note that you don't actually disagree with me.
well he can be persuaded though, though we might need a Festivus miracle!

You mean nobody on Fox News has mentioned any injuries. And none of Trump's asseaters like Jordan & McCarthy have mentioned them either. Just because Trump's patsies don't give a shit about cops who saved their asses on Jan. 6 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

IF YOU COULD ONLY PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR OWN ASS.
What injuries, moron? I haven't seen any listed.

You're delusional.

Says you, citing you. And you're the same poor soul that has made up elaborate conspiracy fantasies about the 2020 election to balm their unearned sense of entitlement.

Our sources are not equal.

Says you, citing you. And you're the same poor soul that has made up elaborate conspiracy fantasies about the 2020 election to balm their unearned sense of entitlement.

Our sources are not equal.
I haven't made up any conspiracy theories, douchebag. You simply label anything that collides with your morons view of reality as a "conspiracy theory."

Forum List

Back