CDZ The Abandonment of Civility

"Political correctness" is a myth because it fails to "silence" anyone.
It silences me.

No, you silence yourself.

How exactly do conservative wail about Black Lives Matter protests and Trump opposition protests and in the next breath say 'political correctness' silences people.

SPEAK. It's easy. But you do have to have some cahones to do that simple thing.

As President Obama says:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/obama-on-pc-a-recipe-for-dogmatism.html

and

Obama_zpsdykp9046.gif~original

I will be totally blunt and it will piss some people off. Back in 1975, no tailgating, hardly any road rage, school shooting were rare as hen's teeth. Liberalism became all the rage, rap and death metal, tolerance to gay lifestyle and wow! A Nantucket sleight ride into decline and decay. Having standards and morals and ethics offend people. So here we are, slouching towards Gomorrah. Not something I as liberal, am proud of.

It silences me.

How exactly do conservative wail about Black Lives Matter protests and Trump opposition protests and in the next breath say 'political correctness' silences people.

I'm rather accessable to the Stasi.

I will be totally blunt and it will piss some people off. Back in 1975, no tailgating, hardly any road rage, school shooting were rare as hen's teeth. Liberalism became all the rage, rap and death metal, tolerance to gay lifestyle and wow! A Nantucket sleight ride into decline and decay. Having standards and morals and ethics offend people. So here we are, slouching towards Gomorrah. Not something I as liberal, am proud of.
That's overpopulation. :D

All of it.

Having standards and morals and ethics offend people.

FWIW, I think everyone has morals, ethics and standards. I just think that they are too damn low. LOL
You believe we're born with "morals, ethics and standards"? A two year old will stab another two year old in the eye with a fork over a toy. I think we have to be taught social behavior....and the veneer is very thin. Look at New Orleans after Katrina to see how quickly people revert.

FWIW, I think everyone has morals, ethics and standards. I just think that they are too damn low. LOL
You believe we're born with "morals, ethics and standards"? A two year old will stab another two year old in the eye with a fork over a toy. I think we have to be taught social behavior....and the veneer is very thin. Look at New Orleans after Katrina to see how quickly people revert.

A two year old doesn't have the capacity to understand 'harming' someone else, what blood is, or what a fork in the eye means. Argument de fallacy.

It's an effort which is amorphous, and means different things to different people, but suggesting that it doesn't exist because it hasn't been effective is... strange.

A two year old doesn't have the capacity to understand 'harming' someone else, what blood is, or what a fork in the eye means. Argument de fallacy.
Yet a fork in the eye does harm whether the offender understands it or not. Do you really believe every criminal understands the pain they cause or do they just want their "toy"?

Yes, but but under threat of social ostracism, termination from one's job or being expelled from college.

1. I was not writing of children.
  2. I didn't share a view about whether morals, ethics and standard are things with which anyone is born.
  3. I didn't offer any thoughts on how or why the morals, ethics and standards we see displayed most often are what they are and not something other than what they are; however, I do realize there are likely many reasons, no single one of which am I prepared right now to cite as being singularly or overwhelmingly causal for why our culture's mores are what they are.
I think that all adults have morals, ethics and standards. I think that the ones most adults have are too damn low. I could present an argument for what constitutes "too low" and how and why "too low" is deleterious to social wellbeing and progress; however, I'm not right now in the mood to do so. (I suspect several members are grateful for that. LOL)

...I think that all adults have morals, ethics and standards. I think that the ones most adults have are too damn low. I could present an argument for what constitutes "too low" and how and why "too low" is deleterious to social wellbeing and progress; however, I'm not right now in the mood to do so. (I suspect several members are grateful for that. LOL)
Where do adults acquire their "morals, ethics and standards"? Genetically? Socialization? Nature or nurture?

Yet a fork in the eye does harm whether the offender understands it or not. Do you really believe every criminal understands the pain they cause or do they just want their "toy"?

Off Topic:
I wondered how long it'd take before this thread becomes existential. Here we go...let the ontological "tweets" begin....LOL

Yes, but but under threat of social ostracism, termination from one's job or being expelled from college.

If you are terminated from employment for something protected under the law, file a lawsuit. That is what laws are for. And 'social ostracism'? I wear such a thing as a badge of honor. You'll find the hardcore 'judges' out there aren't worth the time.

Tailgating and road rage are annoyances. The question of how you deal with that anger is based on what? Death metal? I can listen to death metal and remain calm and polite.

Off Topic:
I wondered how long it'd take before this thread becomes existential. Here we go...let the ontological "tweets" begin....LOL
How is human psychology and sociology purely existential. Are we born with "morals, ethics and standards" or are we taught them? I said we're taught them, yet you disagreed and now appear to be running from your own comment.

If you are terminated from employment for something protected under the law, file a lawsuit. That is what laws are for. And 'social ostracism'? I wear such a thing as a badge of honor. You'll find the hardcore 'judges' out there aren't worth the time.
Not protected by law. Why would it be? Good. So what politically incorrect things do you say at work to earn that badge?

Not protected by law. Why would it be? Good. So what politically incorrect things do you say at work to earn that badge?

LOL You'll have to supply a list of what ruins your day I guess. I generally don't run into problems.

Forum List

Back