The 501c3 designation is what has destroyed the church

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Paulie, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,912
    Listen, if your position is that the church SHOULDN’T do it but not that they CAN’T do it, then I’ll exit the debate because I don’t really care to discuss what they SHOULD be saying I only care to discuss and debate what someone thinks they CAN’T say. Luckily in this country I can move to a different church if I feel they’re saying something I feel like they SHOULDNT be saying.

2. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,503
    Churches are institutions comprised of individuals. So I don’t see a church as a building. I see it as a community of people who voluntarily participate in a cause greater than themselves. And that cause is to promote fellowship and virtues within the community for the express purpose of giving thanks, praise and worship to the creator.

I’m not saying it. Common sense and common decency say it. Church isn’t a campaign headquarters.

3. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,117
    It's just a basic value...not to want someone who isn't an elected representative using your tax money to promote their political agenda.

Its wrong for any secular 501c3s, and its wrong for any Religious establishment. But there they are getting special treatment and not paying taxes which in a vacuum makes everyone else's taxes higher to compensate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Death Angel

Death Angel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,224
    No, that's accepting their argument. I suppose eventually churches will lose their tax exempt status as the culture gets dumbed down by liberalism, but churches HAVE freedom of speech/religion without jumping thru government hoops AND they also owe NOTHING to Ceasar.

I dont remember what day it is, but there is one day a year where the few brave churches challenge the 501c3 nonsense and NOT ONCE has the IRS done anything about it because they know they'd lose a Constitutional challenge.

Black churches dond allow themselves to be intimidated by this nonsense, and neither should we

5. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,912
    Nobody says it needs to be a campaign headquarters but what we’re talking about here is that they can’t even mention a candidate to their congregation. Even if the pastor just simply said “trump 2020” it’s a violation of the 501c3.

I’m fine with you believing that a church shouldn’t discuss politics. But if you believe we should legislatively be stopping it, then that’s where we part ways.

6. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,503
    I’m actually saying quite a few things.

1. Churches don’t need to be tax exempt because donations are tax exempt.

2. The guy on the pulpit can say and do anything he wants. No one is preventing him from doing so.

3. Churches are not campaign headquarters.

4. Churches teach ideals and values.

7. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,117
    Property taxes.

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,912
    Well then you took the extremely long scenic route to this because this wasn’t clear at all in what you were saying. The tax exempt or not tax exempt part of this is what is destroying the church. Our churches should at the very least be discussing with their congregations the problems our government is causing us. That’s the whole point of this thread is to shed light on the draconian 501c3 issue.

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,912
    Listen I’m fine with a church still having to participate in that tax. But that’s a municipal level tax anyway and is for a different discussion.

10. Death Angel

Death Angel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,224
    Here's the day I was thinking of. I forgot they went after Randall Terry on this.

Trump’s Executive Order on Churches Is a Nonsolution to a Nonproblem—With a Dangerous Side Effect