The 25 Greatest Stand Up Comics Of All Time

Maher?

No, not even close. Maher is an amazing comedian BUT the 'list' is of standup comedians and Maher is not a terrific stand up comedian. His show is something different and not a stand up routine even if it is gold.
Wrong. He's a fantastic stand-up comic and has been since the mid-80s. And when you watch him, even now when he does his opening monologue on Real Time, notice how much his physicality is just like Johnny Carson's, who he extensively studied and copied: the hand movements, the popping up onto the balls of his feet....and Carson loved him.

He has had 13 stand up specials on HBO.

Wrong. He's a fantastic stand-up comic and has been since the mid-80s. And when you watch him, even now when he does his opening monologue on Real Time, notice how much his physicality is just like Johnny Carson's, who he extensively studied and copied: the hand movements, the popping up onto the balls of his feet....and Carson loved him.

He has had 13 stand up specials on HBO.
That's nice.

Does not change the fact he is not in the ballpark of the stand up comedians like Robin Williams or George Carlin. Maher, IMHO, shines when using a different style entirely.

The fact they show Jerry Seinfeld as the leading photo says all you need to know about the list, and what their definition of "greatest" is.

The fact they show Jerry Seinfeld as the leading photo says all you need to know about the list, and what their definition of "greatest" is.
Heh, that is another one that I think is not all that great in standup. He was good, don't get me wrong but not one of the great stand up comedians.

The show though, Seinfeld was amazing.

Heh, that is another one that I think is not all that great in standup. He was good, don't get me wrong but not one of the great stand up comedians.

The show though, Seinfeld was amazing.
It was amazing, but Seinfeld himself had little to do with that fact.
The show was created, produced, cast and mostly written by Larry David.
Jerry Seinfeld did not write one single episode of the show. Not one.
David would sometimes collaborate with Jerry to polish the lines, that is the extent of his role (other than acting)
Seinfeld himself couldn't carry a sitcom to save his life. No one watched to see him. Everyone watched to see the foursome together.

It was amazing, but Seinfeld himself had little to do with that fact.
The show was created, produced, cast and mostly written by Larry David.
Jerry Seinfeld did not write one single episode of the show. Not one.
David would sometimes collaborate with Jerry to polish the lines, that is the extent of his role (other than acting)
Seinfeld himself couldn't carry a sitcom to save his life. No one watched to see him. Everyone watched to see the foursome together.
Cant argue with that. I have no idea what came together to create the show or how extensive his role in it was - just that it was a fantastic show and I really, really, REALLY hate sitcoms.

It was likely a combination of everything where stand up really is about the individual themselves most of the time.

Cant argue with that. I have no idea what came together to create the show or how extensive his role in it was - just that it was a fantastic show and I really, really, REALLY hate sitcoms.

It was likely a combination of everything where stand up really is about the individual themselves most of the time.
I like:
Seinfeld
That 70s Show
The Office (First 4 seasons before it became the Jim and Pam show)
Trailer Park Boys

Pretty much nothing else since the 1970s

I enjoyed Northern Exposure in the 90s--bought the complete series and I binge now and then.
Not sure I have ever seen it.
I cut the cable yeeeaaars ago and went all streaming. There is an abundance of shows I have never seen.
Once you get rid of cable, you have little interest to ever go back

I like:
Seinfeld
That 70s Show
The Office (First 4 seasons before it became the Jim and Pam show)
Trailer Park Boys

Pretty much nothing else since the 1970s
The office was alright in small doses. Not a 'show' for me but rather just skits. 70's show? pfft.

Seinfeld is about the only one of those I would watch. I did like some of the animated sitcoms but they could take things a lot further and they did a lot of political and social commentary.

Modern family is actually not that bad. If I am going to watch something it has to have a coherent story to it though. I liked BSG a lot. Game of Thrones up until the end. TV is mostly garbage though. You tube has much more interesting and free content.

The office was alright in small doses. Not a 'show' for me but rather just skits. 70's show? pfft.

Seinfeld is about the only one of those I would watch. I did like some of the animated sitcoms but they could take things a lot further and they did a lot of political and social commentary.

Modern family is actually not that bad. If I am going to watch something it has to have a coherent story to it though. I liked BSG a lot. Game of Thrones up until the end. TV is mostly garbage though. You tube has much more interesting and free content.
Hollywood sucks and has for a LONG time.

Not sure I have ever seen it.
I cut the cable yeeeaaars ago and went all streaming. There is an abundance of shows I have never seen.
Once you get rid of cable, you have little interest to ever go back
This.

Worked for comcast for a bit. Was floored with how they stack up against the likes of Netflix. They just do not get it and I think that traditional TV is on death's doorstep. The major players just do not get it. You see Disney trying to bolster it's streaming by turning it into cable - you just gota buy their bundle. No one wants a bundle anymore. No one wants 2000 channels of pure crap to watch one show for 300 bucks a month.

I can just get netflix and watch what I want and when for 10 bucks. And when I am done, cancel it and move on. I have not even paid for a streaming service in the last 6 months, no drive to watch anything, and when I do get one I can catch up on anything I missed.

This.

Worked for comcast for a bit. Was floored with how they stack up against the likes of Netflix. They just do not get it and I think that traditional TV is on death's doorstep. The major players just do not get it. You see Disney trying to bolster it's streaming by turning it into cable - you just gota buy their bundle. No one wants a bundle anymore. No one wants 2000 channels of pure crap to watch one show for 300 bucks a month.

I can just get netflix and watch what I want and when for 10 bucks. And when I am done, cancel it and move on. I have not even paid for a streaming service in the last 6 months, no drive to watch anything, and when I do get one I can catch up on anything I missed.
I wish I could stream. Still waiting for Musk to deliver my Starlink

I was surprised they got Steven Wright in there. Good for them. They missed Emo Phillips. He has one of the best jokes every written.

Also some of the biggest comedy movies ever were from Cheech and Chong. They missed them.

I had to look up Emo Phillips. Unfortunately he's not dead yet.

Patrice O'Neal should have been way higher on the list. He's easily one of the top 5 funniest people to have ever lived.

Go here for the list. Whoever put this list together to me is in bad need of a brain transplant! Why wasn't Jeff Foxworthy included?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
Can’t believe Joe Rogan didn’t make the list. Or Bill Burr.

Seinfeld is overrated.

Love Bob Newhart’s one-way phone conversations.

Forum List

Back