The 2012 Republican Conventiion

I dunno Sheila. I watched most of the roll call and I honestly don't see how Ron Paul was cheated out of anything when all the states have held their primaries and the votes were reported exactly as they were recorded in all the state primaries. The state delegations called out every vote Paul got.

On what planet did Ron Paul have even close to the necessary delegates to win the nomination? I know his supporters are bummed. You guys lost. It happens in politics.

But there isnt any cheating. He didn't have the delegates. He never did. He can't be cheated out of something he never had to begin with.

John Kasich, gov of Ohio is talking. The guy who stripped Union rights. Then the people overturned his legislation by 22 points. And now he's talking about his success?

He's cut funding for children's health, education, higher education. In fact, he even cut tower guards at maximum security prisons. All to give tax cuts to the wealthiest in Ohio. He's "perfect". He's the perfect Republican.

Now he's talking about how Romney "fixed" the Olympics, but forgot to mention the 1.3 billions he got from the Republican Senate.

Why do unions have rights when corporations do not?

John Kasich, gov of Ohio is talking. The guy who stripped Union rights. Then the people overturned his legislation by 22 points. And now he's talking about his success?

He's cut funding for children's health, education, higher education. In fact, he even cut tower guards at maximum security prisons. All to give tax cuts to the wealthiest in Ohio. He's "perfect". He's the perfect Republican.

Now he's talking about how Romney "fixed" the Olympics, but forgot to mention the 1.3 billions he got from the Republican Senate.

because unions are the money launderers of the Democrat party?

because unions are the money launderers of the Democrat party?

That isn't the answer I would give, but we are in the demilitarized zone here. I wonder how long it will take for rdean to prove he cannot handle honest debate without resorting to insults.

Right, I watched some of it this morning.

Firstly, judging by what I saw, it looks like the sort of thing that I'd go out of my way to attend, distance and work permitting. Even if I'd be relegated to the stalls.

However, I thought Anne's speech was somewhat counter-productive to the image her husband's going to have to project if he wants to be taken seriously as someone who's going to turn thing around and put the American economy back on its feet. She put too much emphasis on the image of a loving, tender husband and father, when, in my opinion, more emphasis should've been placed on his busness credentials and the competent, tough-love asset stripper (which is what the American economy drastically needs) who's willing to make some tough, and in some cases, painful decisions.

Right, I watched some of it this morning.

Firstly, judging by what I saw, it looks like the sort of thing that I'd go out of my way to attend, distance and work permitting. Even if I'd be relegated to the stalls.

However, I thought Anne's speech was somewhat counter-productive to the image her husband's going to have to project if he wants to be taken seriously as someone who's going to turn thing around and put the American economy back on its feet. She put too much emphasis on the image of a loving, tender husband and father, when, in my opinion, more emphasis should've been placed on his busness credentials and the competent, tough-love asset stripper (which is what the American economy drastically needs) who's willing to make some tough, and in some cases, painful decisions.

Others can do that role. Her role was to humanize him; to let us have a glimpse of a Mitt Romney we can relate to. The media is determined to make him an unappealing, uncharismatic figure and she was there to soften those edges. I have done my homework and I know what a truly compassionate and unique individual he is and how he will not blow his own horn about that. She did.

We have two more days to go and others can build the image of the tough, determined, can do and will get it done Mitt. He also will have to do that with his own speech. I hope he can.

You know the really sad thing, Fox? When you really delve into Mitt Romney's background he really is a remarkable guy...something which the main stream media hasn't done a good job presenting at all. He's over in France doing his missionary thing (after his first year in college I believe, which makes him what, 20 years old?) and the head of the 200 missionaries in France is badly injured in a car accident. Romney is asked to take over and run the program something that would be daunting for your average 20 year old but he's not just adequate at the job he's been given...he excels at it. Now contrast THAT with what Barack Obama was doing when he was 20...regularly getting stoned at Occidental College.

You know the really sad thing, Fox? When you really delve into Mitt Romney's background he really is a remarkable guy...something which the main stream media hasn't done a good job presenting at all. He's over in France doing his missionary thing (after his first year in college I believe, which makes him what, 20 years old?) and the head of the 200 missionaries in France is badly injured in a car accident. Romney is asked to take over and run the program something that would be daunting for your average 20 year old but he's not just adequate at the job he's been given...he excels at it. Now contrast THAT with what Barack Obama was doing when he was 20...regularly getting stoned at Occidental College.

His history is full of things like that. Countless acts of kindness, benevolence, helping out where he can. He didn't take any salary as governor of Massachusetts because he didn't need it and his goal was to pull the state out of deficit and put it back on sound economic footing. And he did that. He donated every cent he was paid to pull the Olympics out of the mess it was in. He didn't keep a dime. Nor did he keep any of the inheritance he got from his father but rather used it to start a charitable foundation that he didn't even give his own name to. As Ann Romney said, he built his own financial success from the ground up and now uses his time and talent for the benefit of others.

And you're right. The media, still worshipping at the feet of the 'messianic image' given to Obama is not going to put anything complimentary about Romney on the front pages. If they have to report something at all positive, they will scramble to find something negative to include with it. They want him to be seen as anti-woman, ruthless job crusher, flip flopping pompous rich guy with nothing in common with the common man because that is the only way they can hope to get their guy re-elected.

Ann Romney's job was to change the image the media has created. She did a wonderful job.

His history is full of things like that. Countless acts of kindness, benevolence, helping out where he can. He didn't take any salary as governor of Massachusetts because he didn't need it and his goal was to pull the state out of deficit and put it back on sound economic footing. And he did that. He donated every cent he was paid to pull the Olympics out of the mess it was in. He didn't keep a dime. Nor did he keep any of the inheritance he got from his father but rather used it to start a charitable foundation that he didn't even give his own name to. As Ann Romney said, he built his own financial success from the ground up and now uses his time and talent for the benefit of others.

And you're right. The media, still worshipping at the feet of the 'messianic image' given to Obama is not going to put anything complimentary about Romney on the front pages. If they have to report something at all positive, they will scramble to find something negative to include with it. They want him to be seen as anti-woman, ruthless job crusher, flip flopping pompous rich guy with nothing in common with the common man because that is the only way they can hope to get their guy re-elected.

Ann Romney's job was to change the image the media has created. She did a wonderful job.

The truth is that while Obama is no great catch, neither is Romney. The dems and the reps are the two most corrupt parties in the history of our nation. I cannot in good conscience give my vote to either of them. What I would give for a decent 3rd party option.....

The truth is that while Obama is no great catch, neither is Romney. The dems and the reps are the two most corrupt parties in the history of our nation. I cannot in good conscience give my vote to either of them. What I would give for a decent 3rd party option.....

That's what makes freedom so great. You can say that, and mean it, without fear of retaliation from anybody. So we'll regret not having your vote but you have to go with your own conscience.

I like to think that the Tea Partiers and similar groups will continue to push candidates into leadership roles that will start turning that around. And the more I learn about Romney, the more I am becoming convinced that a more decent, honest person does not exist. He was not my first choice as the nominee, and I still don't know if he was the best choice, but I am now convinced we could have done a whole lot worse than pick him. If he is who I am coming to believe he is, he also can reinstall some ethics and honesty into the process.

Last edited:
But it is inevitable that the hatemongering is already beginning. Letterman last night was cracking lame jokes calling Romney saying that he personally goes to the grocery store is a lie and Ann saying that she has bought Romney shirts at Costco a lie, etc.

And then there is this:

Yahoo News said it fired Washington Bureau Chief David Chalian on Wednesday for disparaging comments he made Tuesday night about Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann. Mr. Chalian apparently believed his microphone was turned off.

During a live stream of ABC/Yahoo News coverage of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Mr. Chalian said the Romneys are “not concerned at all” about the toll Hurricane Isaac is taking in New Orleans, and that they are “happy to have a party with black people drowning.”
Yahoo News Employee Fired Over Romney Remarks - Washington Wire - WSJ

Paul Rand was terrific but was almost contradicted on foreign policy by John McCain who I thought didn't exactly have a wow moment but was okay. I'm now looking forward to Huckabee, Condi, and our own governor, Susana, who will speak just before Paul Ryan.

I loved Susana's line last night. She recounted a luncheon meeting she and her husband attended when they were Democrats. The conversation wasn't about Democrats or Republicans or liberals or conservatives but focused on what government should be. Do people really benefit more from a hand out? Or a hand up? How big should government be? Things like that. And she recounted that as they were leaving, she turned to Chuck and said, "I'll be damned. We're Republicans!"

And the rest is history. She is the first Latina governor in our nation's history, a rising star in the Republican party, and she gave a great speech last night at the convention. That the networks totally snubbed.

I'm also reading in the Huffington Post that the Republicans are trotting out all their 'minority' people to give speeches among a sea of rich, white faces. Sigh. The speeches have been wonderful. The people giving them have been wonderful and illustrate what a big and diverse tent the Republican Party is.

Had the same people not been featured, you can bet your bottom dollar that the critique would have been that the speakers were all white and rich.

The dishonesty of it is just mind boggling sometimes.

Last edited:
Well the media ferreted out the not-so-mysterious mystery speaker for the convention tonight.

Clint Eastwood!

And of course now there is more discussion about that than there is about what Mitt's speech will likely be.

Forum List

Back