The 2012 Republican Conventiion

Nah. I caught some of those. YouTube.

That is not the emotion I will be voting on.

The purpose of those testimonials was to show who Mitt Romney is. And who Mitt Romney is is not the heartless, ruthless, conservative evil corporate rich guy as the leftwing media and the Democrats want to portray him. And most of those testimonials were focused on Mitt Romney, the guy who can figure out what the problem is and how best to solve it.
I don't mean to rock your boat at all with my concerns about that convention. I know there are many political fires to put out and patch up, but no patches covered my bigger concerns.

I know that Mitt is a turn-around artist. He can be president.. but that means he's qualified... eligible. The RR ticket just needs to win my vote, rather than hoping that I will blame all the negatives in my life on Obama and default to the GOP.

Perhaps you could share the concerns you have that the GOP didn't address? We currently have a President who has blamed all his inability to address problems on the GOP now for four years. There were some jabs at Obama at the GOP convention but they hope to unseat him after all. But there was remarkably little of that. The huge lion's share of the focus was on possibilities, concepts, values, and process with the end goals clearly outlined.

The Democrats cannot say that their four years have been successful in accomplishing goals. All they have to show for four years is a deeply unpopular healthcare bill and a hugely unpopular mountain of debt coupled with a stagnant economy and unacceptably high unemployment. I don't know how they will turn that sow's ear into a silk purse at their convention.

Vote Romney for Freedom, Prosperity and Sovereignty.

Vote Obama for none of the above.

The number one goal of any President from this point should be getting people back to work. The focus should be on increasing productivity and GDP rather than figuring out how to get the people to pay more in taxes. Ir should be on finding ways to use the people's money much more judiciously and with good stewardship in mind rather than promising the people that the government will do more and more for them. It should be on making America brighter, stronger, more independent, more sovereign, more prosperous, more free, and recognizing American exceptionalism rather than trying to turn us into another European country.

I heard all that at the GOP convention. I'm going to guess that we won't hear much of that at the Democratic convention.

The purpose of those testimonials was to show who Mitt Romney is. And who Mitt Romney is is not the heartless, ruthless, conservative evil corporate rich guy as the leftwing media and the Democrats want to portray him. And most of those testimonials were focused on Mitt Romney, the guy who can figure out what the problem is and how best to solve it.
I don't mean to rock your boat at all with my concerns about that convention. I know there are many political fires to put out and patch up, but no patches covered my bigger concerns.

I know that Mitt is a turn-around artist. He can be president.. but that means he's qualified... eligible. The RR ticket just needs to win my vote, rather than hoping that I will blame all the negatives in my life on Obama and default to the GOP.

Perhaps you could share the concerns you have that the GOP didn't address? We currently have a President who has blamed all his inability to address problems on the GOP now for four years. There were some jabs at Obama at the GOP convention but they hope to unseat him after all. But there was remarkably little of that. The huge lion's share of the focus was on possibilities, concepts, values, and process with the end goals clearly outlined.

The Democrats cannot say that their four years have been successful in accomplishing goals. All they have to show for four years is a deeply unpopular healthcare bill and a hugely unpopular mountain of debt coupled with a stagnant economy and unacceptably high unemployment. I don't know how they will turn that sow's ear into a silk purse at their convention.

I felt that Christie and Ryan did set Romney up as the soothsayer of hard truths... which I dig. Romney dodged the role in his speech, entirely. It is early, but I want to hear what those hard truths are before I vote for him. Conservative politicians (I mean $cons) have a hard time following through on the tough and unpopular part of conservatism: raising tax and cutting expenditure. There's an extent which both need to be addressed in the next 4yrs. What's Mitts plan... at least the general direction?

That employs a lot of hyperbole, JD. Debt and deficit danger versus imminent collapse or your Weimer scenario. Where is the poll showing more than 5% of the country predict a monetary crisis? 2%? I'd bet the Euro would tank well ahead of the dollar, and they are well in the clear.

Moreover, where was the banner of fiscal conservatism flown in that acceptance speech? I thought Ryan set that up well, but was disappointed when Romney hadn't followed through himself.

Don't worry, this is not close to happening in the US. Not remotely close. Those dozens of economists either didn't predict your monetary crisis scenario, and you'd heard their warnings with that hyperbolic ear, or those are the least-credible sources for information on the economic state of the union.

You really have to look into why China has banked into the USD. They're not in any position to call. That would be quite similar to us coming out with a default statement at random. None of the above will happen.

That fast approach is not evidenced. The Fed is gearing up for more QE on the basis that deflationary pressure (chiefly real estate) is a trailing symptom of the last contraction.

Moreover, this is not a political matter. This is a central bank matter.

What peace time, JD?

The 20% is not supportable by history. I don't think any country pulls that off (or would opt to) It's hard to tie debt escalation to Wilson, too, man. A close look begs the question of whether fiscal conservatives have the back to reduce spending or whether they only fancy reducing the government's revenue.

If you see tremendous magnitude in counting trillions, you're not set up for looking at GDP or debt figures in a country like ours. The GDP and DEBT being in the same ball park @ the 103% mark you called out, means that either stat can have fantastic machinations about their value. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be gleaned from imagining how much spending cash our debt or GDP amounts to on terms of a million a day.

That said, I would like to hear a candidate with a debt reduction plan. I don't need a hysterical rundown or a debt meter to scare me... Just a candidate with a plan.

I think whoever says 'plan' more before November, wins.

Simple enough!

usgs_chart4p02.png

Like it or not, the average IS just about 20%!

EVERY recent poll shows that 51% of ALL Americans believe we ARE headed to a finical collapse. According to a recent CNN poll, 49% believe we ARE headed to a second Great Depression within the next year. In a 2010 Fox News Poll of likely voters, which COMPLETELY negates your claim of election year hysteria, 78%, which includes 72% of democrats and 80% of independents believe that the total collapse or our economy IS possible and supports what I have stated...UNIVERSALLY.

In FACT, the head of Obama's own Debt Commission, Allen Simpson, says the EXACT SAME THING based on the CBO's reports to that commission. But I guess the folks at the CBO, the experts on that commission and DOZENS of others who are easily googled up are ALL in your "least-credible sources" category.

ME...I refuse, like the MAJORITY of Americans, to stick my head in the sand and hope it goes away or just let progressive DESTROY this country and our kid's future!

That employs a lot of hyperbole, JD. Debt and deficit danger versus imminent collapse or your Weimer scenario. Where is the poll showing more than 5% of the country predict a monetary crisis? 2%? I'd bet the Euro would tank well ahead of the dollar, and they are well in the clear.

Moreover, where was the banner of fiscal conservatism flown in that acceptance speech? I thought Ryan set that up well, but was disappointed when Romney hadn't followed through himself.

Don't worry, this is not close to happening in the US. Not remotely close. Those dozens of economists either didn't predict your monetary crisis scenario, and you'd heard their warnings with that hyperbolic ear, or those are the least-credible sources for information on the economic state of the union.

You really have to look into why China has banked into the USD. They're not in any position to call. That would be quite similar to us coming out with a default statement at random. None of the above will happen.

That fast approach is not evidenced. The Fed is gearing up for more QE on the basis that deflationary pressure (chiefly real estate) is a trailing symptom of the last contraction.

Moreover, this is not a political matter. This is a central bank matter.

What peace time, JD?

The 20% is not supportable by history. I don't think any country pulls that off (or would opt to) It's hard to tie debt escalation to Wilson, too, man. A close look begs the question of whether fiscal conservatives have the back to reduce spending or whether they only fancy reducing the government's revenue.

If you see tremendous magnitude in counting trillions, you're not set up for looking at GDP or debt figures in a country like ours. The GDP and DEBT being in the same ball park @ the 103% mark you called out, means that either stat can have fantastic machinations about their value. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be gleaned from imagining how much spending cash our debt or GDP amounts to on terms of a million a day.

That said, I would like to hear a candidate with a debt reduction plan. I don't need a hysterical rundown or a debt meter to scare me... Just a candidate with a plan.

I think whoever says 'plan' more before November, wins.

Simple enough!

usgs_chart4p02.png

Like it or not, the average IS just about 20%!

EVERY recent poll shows that 51% of ALL Americans believe we ARE headed to a finical collapse. According to a recent CNN poll, 49% believe we ARE headed to a second Great Depression within the next year. In a 2010 Fox News Poll of likely voters, which COMPLETELY negates your claim of election year hysteria, 78%, which includes 72% of democrats and 80% of independents believe that the total collapse or our economy IS possible and supports what I have stated...UNIVERSALLY.

In FACT, the head of Obama's own Debt Commission, Allen Simpson, says the EXACT SAME THING based on the CBO's reports to that commission. But I guess the folks at the CBO, the experts on that commission and DOZENS of others who are easily googled up are ALL in your "least-credible sources" category.

ME...I refuse, like the MAJORITY of Americans, to stick my head in the sand and hope it goes away or just let progressive DESTROY this country and our kid's future!

I thought I'd point out a few things about that FOX poll you didn't mention.

First, the answer was that a large majority think it is POSSIBLE for our economy to collapse. Based on the article, it was either that or the economy is "so big and strong it could never collapse.". That is not saying the majority believe we are about to collapse economically, just that it could happen.

Second, the same article about the poll showed slightly more confident that Dems in congress have a plan to fix our economy than Repubs, although it was terrible in both cases at 24% and 16%.

Third, the poll apparently said that Dems are far more likely (46%) to believe their party has a plan for the economy than Repubs (25%). If only 25% of Republicans think their party has a strategy to fix the economy, it seems like it would be difficult to convince Independents or Democrats they do.

Nothing in the article indicated a majority of Americans believe we are in imminent danger of financial collapse, if that was the point you were trying to bolster.

...EVERY recent poll shows that 51% of ALL Americans believe we ARE headed to a finical collapse. According to a recent CNN poll, 49% believe we ARE headed to a second Great Depression within the next year. In a 2010 Fox News Poll of likely voters, which COMPLETELY negates your claim of election year hysteria, 78%, which includes 72% of democrats and 80% of independents believe that the total collapse or our economy IS possible and supports what I have stated...UNIVERSALLY.

First, the answer was that a large majority think it is POSSIBLE for our economy to collapse. Based on the article, it was either that or the economy is "so big and strong it could never collapse.". That is not saying the majority believe we are about to collapse economically, just that it could happen.

Second, the same article about the poll showed slightly more confident that Dems in congress have a plan to fix our economy than Repubs, although it was terrible in both cases at 24% and 16%.

Third, the poll apparently said that Dems are far more likely (46%) to believe their party has a plan for the economy than Repubs (25%). If only 25% of Republicans think their party has a strategy to fix the economy, it seems like it would be difficult to convince Independents or Democrats they do.

Nothing in the article indicated a majority of Americans believe we are in imminent danger of financial collapse, if that was the point you were trying to bolster.

Uh...that IS what I said. And I said it because ant said that not only is it NOT possible, but that I am in the minority for believing that it is. I"M NOT!

Next, the 51% that believe that a TOTAL economic collapse is imminent is from a January 2012 poll conducted by Kelton Research for National Geographic. A CNN poll from 2011 found almost the exact same thing and so I say that the majority of Americans DO believe that we are in danger of imminent collapse...regardless of what someone thinks they may have gleaned form the Fox poll. As a matter of fact, the Fox poll didn't address that question at ALL.

Oh, and as to democrat satisfaction with their congressmen being higher....I'm not surprised. They ARE Linen's useful idiots!

I don't think it's any coincidence that the percentage of democrats that are satisfied with the RADICAL left that is currently inhabiting the democrat Congress is just slightly higher than the percentage of Americans who describe themselves as liberals. About 20%.

I also don't think it's any coincidence that the right is HIGHLY dissatisfied with the republican representation given the HUGE steps the republican party is taking toward constitutional conservatism and back to our founding principles. Most of rank and file republicans now view the MAJORITY of republicans in Congress as RINOs/progressives and therefore part of the problem. THEY got to go too!

Is there a link for that poll? And does it relate to the Republican Convention?

In mid August, Rasmussen had the Republicans ahead on most issues. I am looking for a similar survey following the GOP Convention:

Trust on Issues - Rasmussen Reports™

Actually Foxy, Rasmussen has a DAILY presidential tracking poll. I think it showed about a 7-8 point swing for Romney since the convention began till now. There SHOULD be an archive link...I THINK? ;~)

Oh, and the polls I'm citing only relate to the convention in that they support the claims of speakers like Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and the rest who got pilloried for telling the truth about the economy and the mood of the country!

Last edited:
Is this a convention any registered Republicans can attend; or is it more of a mass press conference for candidates?

Anybody can attend Swagger, and lots of folks do, but to be on the Convention floor you have to be a Congressperson, government department head, a governor, a designated speaker, a member of an offocial state delegation, somebody that delegation has selected to announce or introduce something or somebody, such similar types, and/or a member of the media. That only allows for several thousand folks on the the convention floor. (I'm thinking crashing the party might be pretty easy.) Everybody else is consigned to the perimeters, balcony, etc.

You can be invited to it. Somebody I know is a successful businessperson down here in Tampa was invited to attend. The cost? It was either $10K or $20K (I can't recall which one). Not sure where they would have been able to sit-but probably on the floor, or the low 100's at the Forum.

Is there a link for that poll? And does it relate to the Republican Convention?

In mid August, Rasmussen had the Republicans ahead on most issues. I am looking for a similar survey following the GOP Convention:

Trust on Issues - Rasmussen Reports™

Actually Foxy, Rasmussen has a DAILY presidential tracking poll. I think it showed about a 7-8 point swing for Romney since the convention began till now. There SHOULD be an archive link...I THINK? ;~)

Oh, and the polls I'm citing only relate to the convention in that they support the claims of speakers like Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and the rest who got pilloried for telling the truth about the economy and the mood of the country!

Right. I've been watching the Presidential tracking poll on Rasmussen. But I haven't seen an updated one on all the key issues similar to the one I posted from a couple of weeks ago.

...EVERY recent poll shows that 51% of ALL Americans believe we ARE headed to a finical collapse. According to a recent CNN poll, 49% believe we ARE headed to a second Great Depression within the next year. In a 2010 Fox News Poll of likely voters, which COMPLETELY negates your claim of election year hysteria, 78%, which includes 72% of democrats and 80% of independents believe that the total collapse or our economy IS possible and supports what I have stated...UNIVERSALLY.

Uh...that IS what I said. And I said it because ant said that not only is it NOT possible, but that I am in the minority for believing that it is. I"M NOT!

Next, the 51% that believe that a TOTAL economic collapse is imminent is from a January 2012 poll conducted by Kelton Research for National Geographic. A CNN poll from 2011 found almost the exact same thing and so I say that the majority of Americans DO believe that we are in danger of imminent collapse...regardless of what someone thinks they may have gleaned form the Fox poll. As a matter of fact, the Fox poll didn't address that question at ALL.

Oh, and as to democrat satisfaction with their congressmen being higher....I'm not surprised. They ARE Linen's useful idiots!

I don't think it's any coincidence that the percentage of democrats that are satisfied with the RADICAL left that is currently inhabiting the democrat Congress is just slightly higher than the percentage of Americans who describe themselves as liberals. About 20%.

I also don't think it's any coincidence that the right is HIGHLY dissatisfied with the republican representation given the HUGE steps the republican party is taking toward constitutional conservatism and back to our founding principles. Most of rank and file republicans now view the MAJORITY of republicans in Congress as RINOs/progressives and therefore part of the problem. THEY got to go too!

You have been either saying or implying that most Americans believe we are on the very brink of financial ruin. Whether or not that is true, on multiple occasions the evidence you've provided or the arguments you've made have not supported that premise. Pointing to things like a poll that shows a large majority consider financial collapse a possibility, or people considering the debt more of a security threat than terrorism, do not indicate a belief in imminent collapse.

You have mentioned multiple polls, but unfortunately not provided links to them. I tried a quick search and didn't find such a poll, although that could be a matter of poor wording. The point is that if you are going to try and speak for the majority of the country, it would probably be good to provide some evidence of your assertion.

As to the low confidence in Republican plans in the poll, I pointed that out more because it relates to the thread than because of anything you specifically said. :)

Is this a convention any registered Republicans can attend; or is it more of a mass press conference for candidates?

Anybody can attend Swagger, and lots of folks do, but to be on the Convention floor you have to be a Congressperson, government department head, a governor, a designated speaker, a member of an offocial state delegation, somebody that delegation has selected to announce or introduce something or somebody, such similar types, and/or a member of the media. That only allows for several thousand folks on the the convention floor. (I'm thinking crashing the party might be pretty easy.) Everybody else is consigned to the perimeters, balcony, etc.

You can be invited to it. Somebody I know is a successful businessperson down here in Tampa was invited to attend. The cost? It was either $10K or $20K (I can't recall which one). Not sure where they would have been able to sit-but probably on the floor, or the low 100's at the Forum.

Actually guys the answer to all that is yes...no, true....false. The NUMBERS of delegates and guest allowed on the floor is controlled by the RNC, republican NATIONAL committee. And anyone who is to be on the floor during session, gavel drop to gavel drop...has to be cleared through the RNC, no matter how they got there.

As a matter of fact, we saw and entire delegation from Maine, at the request of their state chairperson, REPLACED with their alternates by the rules committee as the first order of business this year because of rules violations on the state level. It actually happens about every election cycle over the history of both conventions. Hell, the democrats have had riots on the floor a couple times. LOL

The actual delegates who make up the vast majority of those who are on the floor are chosen by the STATE republican committees and they all have their own rules and methods for doing it. And those methods vary WIDELY!

As a matter of fact, that's what led to the Maine delegate crap. Romney won their caucuses over Ron Paul, 39% to 35%, but when the delegates were selected at their state convention, 21 of the 24 delegates were Ron Paul supporters. Which...leads to some SERIOUS questions about their delegate selection process.

As to cost, same thing. SOME states actually foot part or all of the bill for their delegates. Some...you're on your own.

SO...the answer is, all of the above/none of the above. If you care or have a problem with it, check with your state republican party or the RNC web site. By law and self imposed rules, they all have to provide their rules, methods and procedures upon request. If they don't...OR if someone feels they have broken faith with them and those rules, you can file a grievance with the national party. IF found to be true, they CAN be de-sanctioned and a new committee formed.

As Mr. Eastwood said, this is our government, they are our employees! ;~)

You have been either saying or implying that most Americans believe we are on the very brink of financial ruin. Whether or not that is true, on multiple occasions the evidence you've provided or the arguments you've made have not supported that premise. Pointing to things like a poll that shows a large majority consider financial collapse a possibility, or people considering the debt more of a security threat than terrorism, do not indicate a belief in imminent collapse.

You have mentioned multiple polls, but unfortunately not provided links to them. I tried a quick search and didn't find such a poll, although that could be a matter of poor wording. The point is that if you are going to try and speak for the majority of the country, it would probably be good to provide some evidence of your assertion.

As to the low confidence in Republican plans in the poll, I pointed that out more because it relates to the thread than because of anything you specifically said. :)

Yeah...well, I'd suggest that you might want to try a search engine other than google, which has people like Al Gore setting on it's board of directors if you want TRUTH.

Here, TRY THIS if you want just ONE of the poll results. It's the ENTIRE poll in pdf format from National Geographic's web site. IT was conducted as research the first of THIS YEAR for a new show they are producing because as people are realizing more and more just exactly how deep the shit we are in is, they are PREPARING.

OR you can try THIS POLL, also in full pdf form conducted by CNN in the first of 2011 where nearly half of Americans believe a second Great Depression will happen in the next year. Heck, if you like, you can just read it on a site I'm QUITE sure you are familiar with, The Huffington Post.

And if you'd like, I'll dig up CNN's 2008 poll that showed that 62% of Americans believed we would slip into a depression by the end of 2009!

Dude, I do NOT make up stuff. I may, in the course of posting hit a wrong key or misremember the source for something since I mostly go from memory to write my post. I figure if anyone cares...they can earn it the way I have. Of course, in the information age...it's easier than ever IF you really look for the truth.

And as I've said, I've EARNED my political voice through interest and experience. But there is not an OUNCE of dis-ingenuousness in ANYTHING I post!

I concur with JD. If you want to see a wide variety of sources rather than cherry picked ones leaning a certain way, use a search engine other than Google.

Yeah...well, I'd suggest that you might want to try a search engine other than google, which has people like Al Gore setting on it's board of directors if you want TRUTH.

Here, TRY THIS if you want just ONE of the poll results. It's the ENTIRE poll in pdf format from National Geographic's web site. IT was conducted as research the first of THIS YEAR for a new show they are producing because as people are realizing more and more just exactly how deep the shit we are in is, they are PREPARING.

OR you can try THIS POLL, also in full pdf form conducted by CNN in the first of 2011 where nearly half of Americans believe a second Great Depression will happen in the next year. Heck, if you like, you can just read it on a site I'm QUITE sure you are familiar with, The Huffington Post.

And if you'd like, I'll dig up CNN's 2008 poll that showed that 62% of Americans believed we would slip into a depression by the end of 2009!

Dude, I do NOT make up stuff. I may, in the course of posting hit a wrong key or misremember the source for something since I mostly go from memory to write my post. I figure if anyone cares...they can earn it the way I have. Of course, in the information age...it's easier than ever IF you really look for the truth.

And as I've said, I've EARNED my political voice through interest and experience. But there is not an OUNCE of dis-ingenuousness in ANYTHING I post!

Thank you for the links, I appreciate it.

I can't speak to any biases in Google searches. I haven't seen any evidence that's the case, but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand. I will say that it seems unlikely to me that there is too much of an issue, if you're willing to look at at least a few pages of search responses.

To the polls you provided : you have misrepresented what they say. The National Geographic poll asks which of the possibilities respondents think MIGHT happen in the next 25 years. It certainly does not ask if they think economic collapse is about to happen. The CNN poll does not show half of respondents believing another Great Depression will occur in the next year. 19% say it is very likely to happen, 29% somewhat likely, 32% not very likely, and 19% not likely at all. Given the options, I'd say that it would be more accurate to categorize the first 19% as believing it would happen, but that's all.

I think your descriptions of the poll results are absolutely disingenuous. You are ignoring the difference between believing something WILL happen and that it MIGHT happen, or that it's POSSIBLE it could happen. More, I don't think there's any real need to do it; having only 1/5 of people fully confident that we will not enter another depression in the next year is bad enough. When you try to fit the numbers to fit your view or exaggerate your point, you risk losing the point entirely.

I get the impression from your statement and emphasis about the Huffington Post that you believe me to be a liberal and frequenter of that site. Neither is the case, but I can't say I really expect you to believe that. I don't know what would give you that impression, unless it's simply my disagreeing with some of your statements/conclusions.

Statistics can mean a lot of different things depending on who is compiling them or reading them, and I think this conversation is a prime example of that.

...To the polls you provided : you have misrepresented what they say....
WHAT!?!?!

The FIRST QUESTION from the Nat Geo poll.

Which of the following, if any, do you think might happen in the United States in the next 25 years?

Please choose all that apply.
Significant Earthquake 64% *
Significant Hurricane 63%
Terrorist Attack 55%
Financial Collapse 51%
Significant Blackout 37%
Pandemic, Such as From a Super-Virus 29%
Nuclear Fallout 14%
None of These 13%

And you do NOT have to be a prophet to guess the first 4 and have a better than 50/50 chance of it happening since they have ALL happened in the last 10 years.

Oh, and the LAST question pretty much tells ya everything you need to know about the politics of the people being surveyed.

Do you think that a man-made catastrophe, such as a terrorist attack or economic collapse, would be more likely with a Democrat or Republican President in charge of the U.S.?

Republican 528 52%
Democrat 479 48%

THAT should tell ya that it was actually weighted slightly heavier democrat than republican...and STILL a total financial collapse is the biggest concern for 51% of respondents.

However, Rasmussen and a half dozen other polls have shown consistently that the ECONOMY is the number 1 concern among Americans by a WIDE margin. So I suspect that were it worded another way, like likely to happen in the next year...finical collapse WOULD top the list!

Hell, a Gallup poll from April showed that more people, 29%, believe that we are ALREADY in a depression than believe the economy is growing...27%. And that doesn't even count the 26% that believe we are in a recession. That means that 55% of ALL Americans think we are in the shit!

And then there is this...copy and pasted STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CNN POLL!

QUESTION: How would you rate the economic conditions in the country today - as very good, somewhat good, somewhat poor, or very poor?

CNN/OPINION RESEARCH CORPORATION POLL
June 3-7
Another Great Depression

Likely in Next 12 Months?

Yes 48%
No 51%

Sampling error: +/-3% pts

June 3-7
Another Great Depression
Likely in Next 12 Months

Now 48%
2009 41%
2008 38%

And given the 3% margin of error...it is just as likely to be 51% yes and likely IS. As a matter of FACT, it is represented as being what half of Americans believe on 2 of CNN's online journals, politicalticker and money matters, which cite the poll. So if I'm misrepresenting CNN's poll...SO IS CNN!

Since you seem to believe that you can not only read MY intentions through a keyboard, but can also extrapolate conclusions from phantom data in the links I provided, let's extrapolate further that since that 48% +/- 3% in the 2011 CNN poll believed that a great depression was LIKELY in the next 12 months, that the 51% in the 2012...a year later...National Geographic poll would have answered the exact same way had they been asked in next year instead of 25 years. OR is that just to logical?

Brother, I don't know you from Adam and don't care what your politics are. I DO know that for anyone to pull a bunch nonsense out of context to mix and match and claim that I am being disingenuous when anyone who cares to see can click on the links I HAVE provided to read them for themselves and compare that to what I've written is just about a genuine as Obama pissin' down our collective legs and telling us it is raining when he lies about this out of control deficit spending and MASSIVE debt.

Oh, just as a side note. Did you you guys know there are adult education classes aimed at reading comprehension? It think that's interesting.

I concur with JD. If you want to see a wide variety of sources rather than cherry picked ones leaning a certain way, use a search engine other than Google.

All you have to do Foxy, is to start typing in a search for Pat Buchanan or any other prominent conservative in one of the bells and whistle search engines that give suggestions as you type. When the FIRST suggestions that show up are Pat Buchanan is a racist...you KNOW what the political bent of the logarithm they are using has been programed with.

When the suggestions aren't alphabetical...there IS an agenda!

It's despicable.

I use engines like Yippy and duckduckgo a lot. They don't collect data on your machine and duckduckgo doesn't even use cookies. As a matter of fact, the ones I use the most don't.

I'm kind of a private kind of person, huh, imagine that. A conservative concerned about privacy. LOL

Anyway, I also enjoy using a site called conservapedia instead of wikipedia when I can. MUCH more concise and accurate info and far less editorial slant. It's just not as complete in some areas. Plus FAR less bells and whistles to irritate me. ;~)

...To the polls you provided : you have misrepresented what they say....
WHAT!?!?!

The FIRST QUESTION from the Nat Geo poll.

Which of the following, if any, do you think might happen in the United States in the next 25 years?

Please choose all that apply.
Significant Earthquake 64% *
Significant Hurricane 63%
Terrorist Attack 55%
Financial Collapse 51%
Significant Blackout 37%
Pandemic, Such as From a Super-Virus 29%
Nuclear Fallout 14%
None of These 13%

And you do NOT have to be a prophet to guess the first 4 and have a better than 50/50 chance of it happening since they have ALL happened in the last 10 years.

Oh, and the LAST question pretty much tells ya everything you need to know about the politics of the people being surveyed.

Do you think that a man-made catastrophe, such as a terrorist attack or economic collapse, would be more likely with a Democrat or Republican President in charge of the U.S.?

Republican 528 52%
Democrat 479 48%

THAT should tell ya that it was actually weighted slightly heavier democrat than republican...and STILL a total financial collapse is the biggest concern for 51% of respondents.

However, Rasmussen and a half dozen other polls have shown consistently that the ECONOMY is the number 1 concern among Americans by a WIDE margin. So I suspect that were it worded another way, like likely to happen in the next year...finical collapse WOULD top the list!

Hell, a Gallup poll from April showed that more people, 29%, believe that we are ALREADY in a depression than believe the economy is growing...27%. And that doesn't even count the 26% that believe we are in a recession. That means that 55% of ALL Americans think we are in the shit!

And then there is this...copy and pasted STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CNN POLL!

QUESTION: How would you rate the economic conditions in the country today - as very good, somewhat good, somewhat poor, or very poor?

June 3-7
Another Great Depression

Likely in Next 12 Months?

Yes 48%
No 51%

June 3-7
Another Great Depression
Likely in Next 12 Months

Now 48%
2009 41%
2008 38%

And given the 3% margin of error...it is just as likely to be 51% yes and likely IS. As a matter of FACT, it is represented as being what half of Americans believe on 2 of CNN's online journals, politicalticker and money matters, which cite the poll. So if I'm misrepresenting CNN's poll...SO IS CNN!

Since you seem to believe that you can not only read MY intentions through a keyboard, but can also extrapolate conclusions from phantom data in the links I provided, let's extrapolate further that since that 48% +/- 3% in the 2011 CNN poll believed that a great depression was LIKELY in the next 12 months, that the 51% in the 2012...a year later...National Geographic poll would have answered the exact same way had they been asked in next year instead of 25 years. OR is that just to logical?

Brother, I don't know you from Adam and don't care what your politics are. I DO know that for anyone to pull a bunch nonsense out of context to mix and match and claim that I am being disingenuous when anyone who cares to see can click on the links I HAVE provided to read them for themselves and compare that to what I've written is just about a genuine as Obama pissin' down our collective legs and telling us it is raining when he lies about this out of control deficit spending and MASSIVE debt.

Oh, just as a side note. Did you you guys know there are adult education classes aimed at reading comprehension? It think that's interesting.

Perhaps you should consider the reading comprehension classes.

I didn't say that the economy isn't an issue, that many people aren't concerned about it, or even that some people don't think we are on the verge of financial collapse. What I did was complain about your lumping together various responses in the polls you provided links to, having different responses mean the same thing. You took responses where people said something MIGHT happen and claimed they believe it WILL happen. If you cannot see the difference between those, there is no point continuing.

....What I did was complain about your lumping together various responses in the polls you provided links to, having different responses mean the same thing. You took responses where people said something MIGHT happen and claimed they believe it WILL happen. If you cannot see the difference between those, there is no point continuing.

I said believe it COULD happen when referring to polls which asked that and I said believe it WOULD happen when the poll questions said that. And besides making accusations while lumping unrelated poll data from the links I provided, NOTHING was posted that refutes that!

Ya know, I ALMOST posted as the last line in the same post as those links, "Feel free to attack the polls, my interpretation of them and deny their accuracy," because I KNEW that they or my use of them would be denounced as disingenuous. Kind of wish I had now. It would have saved some wear and tear on my keyboard.

What I find incredible is that someone would accuse me, someone they don't know from Adam, of being a LIAR and then get incredulous when I point out the fallacy of logic used to arrive at that accusation.

Here's the thing, I don't use the ignore list because I'll discuss just about anything that interest me with anyone who is willing, but since I'm sure someone with that mentality probably will soon if they don't already...I'd appreciate it if anyone who feels that way would put me on theirs. Then they won't feel the need to become offended by my obviously inferior intellect!

You ARE right about one thing though, there is NO point to continuing.

Thanks...and have a nice day!

Forum List

Back