The 2012 Republican Conventiion

Well the media ferreted out the not-so-mysterious mystery speaker for the convention tonight.

Clint Eastwood!

And of course now there is more discussion about that than there is about what Mitt's speech will likely be.

That seems like an unfortunate but accurate microcosm of politics in this country. :(

Of interest, the leftwing media and pundits have been 'fact checking' Paul Ryan's speech all day along with the most 'glaring lie' being reported that the GM plant in Wisconsin closed in December of 2008 and Obama could have done nothing to have saved it.,

But it is a fact that candidate Obama did visit that plant, after it had been scheduled to cloise, with that promise to retool it for energy efficient cars and keep it open. The SUV wing of the plant did cease operations in December 2008, but the plant remained open well into May 2009 to finish up a contract to build Isuzu trucks. The auto bailout began late in 2008 and continued with intermittant payments through May 2009. Obama could have directed some of that money to the Wisconsin plant but he didn't. It has never been fully shut down but remains in suspension and could be started back up.

Janesville GM Plant Closed in 2009

FACT CHECK: Obama promised and failed to keep Janesville GM plant open | WashingtonExaminer.com

The speech line was part of a typical campaign speech criticizing an opponent for promises not kept.

The focus of the media should have been on the substance of the speech, however, and yet they have focused on that.

Last edited:
This whole GM debacle seems pointless as well. Even if the plant had stayed open and GM got bailed out, Obama would've still have been crucified about it. Either way, he was going to get flak on this so the fact-checking seems as redundant as the retorts from the right.

I love the stories about Mitt. This is the real Mitt. the one the media doesnt talk about.

PHP:
Those who aren't streaming this live or watching it on Cspan are missing an amazing thing tonight.

I agree. The real Mitt Romney is on display. The Spirit is strong too. Wasnt really expecting that.

Marco Rubio's speech was excellently done. He tore into Obama for not living up to the hype but he also connected about what it is that makes this country special.

Loved Mitt's dig at one of Barack's more "flowery" speeches...

“President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family."

Simple and to the point.

“President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family."

Simple and to the point.

Yeah. It was a very good dig without being negative.

Incredible night.. Can't wait to see that guy in the Oval Office!

Up early for work tomorrow.. Night alll!

I wish the networks had covered more of it and that the cable news channels had just let us enjoy it like Cspan does. That's the best way to really get a sense of the message. The message should resonate with every American, but unfortunately too few will ever hear it but will rather get it as interpreted by somebody. And most likely that somebody will put as much negative spin on it as possible.

But good night all. It was an awesome night.

I wish the networks had covered more of it and that the cable news channels had just let us enjoy it like Cspan does. That's the best way to really get a sense of the message. The message should resonate with every American, but unfortunately too few will ever hear it but will rather get it as interpreted by somebody. And most likely that somebody will put as much negative spin on it as possible.

But good night all. It was an awesome night.

It will if we get the message out. Share the good speeches with out friends.

Are you guys talking about this RNC? I think this thing went really poorly. I think Rubio was the most exciting of the night. Romney seemed very, very fake to me.

Simple and to the point.

AGREED! VERY effective.

I liked the, "I will begin my term with a jobs tour. Obama began his term with and apology tour." line too.

I also love the fact that Newt fired an opening salvo across the deck of the DNC convention and Obama with the comparisons between Obama and Carter...who is SCHEDULED to speak at the democrat convention...and Mitt fired a broad side at their water line with his matter of fact delivery of tossing Carter in with Obama as failed presidents. LOVE it!

But it may be that a story he told about his father leaving a rose for his mother EVERY DAY for 65 years while his voice broke as he explained that it was the missing rose that told her to look for him because something was wrong on the day he died. Or maybe breaking up as he told the story about how he would give ANYTHING to have the days breaking up his boy's scraps or waking up with a bed full of kids may have just made this man the next president of the United States!

Liberals elitist may scoff, but EVERY middle American family GETS THAT and they WILL believe that Mitt gets them!

Ok, here is my list of memorables.

Ann Romney...just because her speech was so effective over all. SHE is the real deal folks!

Condi Rice was BRILLIANT. She...is quit possibly the brightest mind in America today. Her clarity of thought is freakin' amazing. I would vote for her as president in a SECOND! And her story about growing up in the Jim Crowe south to become Secretary of State because her parents never let her believe it couldn't happen is EXACTLY what the GOP represents. Unwavering optimism!

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, the first female Hispanic governor. Her entire story is incredible, but the line about carrying a Smith & Wesson 357 magnum as she guarded a bingo game parking lot as an 18 year old, working for her father was BRILLIANT! And they DID build that! ;~)

Three former candidates for the GOP deserve honorable mention. Rick Santorum was earnest and effective. The man IS a believer in this republic. Mike Huckabee was the Huck. He actually seems more comfortable and better in that setting than he is in his Fox show...by a mile! And Tim Pawlenty. Had he delivered speeches that funny and personable on the campaign trail...we MIGHT have been nominating someone else tonight!

All three of them did brilliantly in their support rolls. But honestly, the fact that they did so much better at a supporting role than as a campaigners...probably means that is what they are best suited for.

And the future was revealed...BRILLIANTLY!!!

Mia Love, Mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah and who is running for Congress is a STAR. She is every democrat's worst nightmare. Young, beautiful, articulate, educated, smart as HELL, a Mormon...converted...first generation imigrant, driven to serve and BLACK. Folks, this lady IS going to go as far as she wants to in politics. And I hope it's a LONG way!

Tim Scott, young, articulate, infectious smile and easy manner and he had the place jumping when he started singing hit the road Jack as parting message to Obama.

Rand Paul proved just exactly WHY we Kentuckians sent him to Washington. THIS GUY GETS IT! He is his father's son in many ways, but he also understands America's role in the world and that the role of government...even a limited government is to govern. He has got our backs!

Marco Rubio. He IS the next president of the United States if he wants to be no matter what happens in November. Whether it's 4 years or 8...he WILL be president!

And Paul Ryan. He will be a leader in the republican party for YEARS to come. He has a level head, even temperament and is an effective enough speaker to take on anyone with FACTS without needing to resort to rhetoric. When he and Biden debate...well, this is gonna be FUN!

Ok, that's my takeaway...for what it's worth. But I enjoyed it. Had to make special preparations to catch most of it, but it WAS worth it.

Oh, Eastwood was HILARIOUS!

By the way, he WAS a politician. He was the mayor of a city in California for many years. So he was NOT just some actor trotted out to add weight to a light weight candidate. It was part of the theme and a kind of not so subtle swipe at democrats.

I loved his act!

Simple and to the point.

AGREED! VERY effective.

I liked the, "I will begin my term with a jobs tour. Obama began his term with and apology tour." line too.

I also love the fact that Newt fired an opening salvo across the deck of the DNC convention and Obama with the comparisons between Obama and Carter...who is SCHEDULED to speak at the democrat convention...and Mitt fired a broad side at their water line with his matter of fact delivery of tossing Carter in with Obama as failed presidents. LOVE it!

But it may be that a story he told about his father leaving a rose for his mother EVERY DAY for 65 years while his voice broke as he explained that it was the missing rose that told her to look for him because something was wrong on the day he died. Or maybe breaking up as he told the story about how he would give ANYTHING to have the days breaking up his boy's scraps or waking up with a bed full of kids may have just made this man the next president of the United States!

Liberals elitist may scoff, but EVERY middle American family GETS THAT and they WILL believe that Mitt gets them!

Ok, here is my list of memorables.

Ann Romney...just because her speech was so effective over all. SHE is the real deal folks!

Condi Rice was BRILLIANT. She...is quit possibly the brightest mind in America today. Her clarity of thought is freakin' amazing. I would vote for her as president in a SECOND! And her story about growing up in the Jim Crowe south to become Secretary of State because her parents never let her believe it couldn't happen is EXACTLY what the GOP represents. Unwavering optimism!

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, the first female Hispanic governor. Her entire story is incredible, but the line about carrying a Smith & Wesson 357 magnum as she guarded a bingo game parking lot as an 18 year old, working for her father was BRILLIANT! And they DID build that! ;~)

Three former candidates for the GOP deserve honorable mention. Rick Santorum was earnest and effective. The man IS a believer in this republic. Mike Huckabee was the Huck. He actually seems more comfortable and better in that setting than he is in his Fox show...by a mile! And Tim Pawlenty. Had he delivered speeches that funny and personable on the campaign trail...we MIGHT have been nominating someone else tonight!

All three of them did brilliantly in their support rolls. But honestly, the fact that they did so much better at a supporting role than as a campaigners...probably means that is what they are best suited for.

And the future was revealed...BRILLIANTLY!!!

Mia Love, Mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah and who is running for Congress is a STAR. She is every democrat's worst nightmare. Young, beautiful, articulate, educated, smart as HELL, a Mormon...converted...first generation imigrant, driven to serve and BLACK. Folks, this lady IS going to go as far as she wants to in politics. And I hope it's a LONG way!

Tim Scott, young, articulate, infectious smile and easy manner and he had the place jumping when he started singing hit the road Jack as parting message to Obama.

Rand Paul proved just exactly WHY we Kentuckians sent him to Washington. THIS GUY GETS IT! He is his father's son in many ways, but he also understands America's role in the world and that the role of government...even a limited government is to govern. He has got our backs!

Marco Rubio. He IS the next president of the United States if he wants to be no matter what happens in November. Whether it's 4 years or 8...he WILL be president!

And Paul Ryan. He will be a leader in the republican party for YEARS to come. He has a level head, even temperament and is an effective enough speaker to take on anyone with FACTS without needing to resort to rhetoric. When he and Biden debate...well, this is gonna be FUN!

Ok, that's my takeaway...for what it's worth. But I enjoyed it. Had to make special preparations to catch most of it, but it WAS worth it.

Oh, Eastwood was HILARIOUS!

By the way, he WAS a politician. He was the mayor of a city in California for many years. So he was NOT just some actor trotted out to add weight to a light weight candidate. It was part of the theme and a kind of not so subtle swipe at democrats.

I loved his act!

Unless you missed her, you left out Susana Martinez, our home grown risking star and who has already made a tremendous difference in our troubled state,.

Are you guys talking about this RNC? I think this thing went really poorly. I think Rubio was the most exciting of the night. Romney seemed very, very fake to me.

Well, we'll put you down as one who wouldn't have voted for Mitt anyway? The rest of us seem to have appreciated all the presentations. To me he was absolutely authentic, and vintage Mitt--understated, non braggadocious, humble, but self assured. He didn't try to be a rock star, because that's not who he is, and he didn't use a lot of meaningless platitudes just to get applause lines. He was who he is.

What I took away from this convention was that my hope that Mitt Romney would be up to the job have been replaced with a growing certainty that he absolutely is the man we need at this point in history.

Well, we'll put you down as one who wouldn't have voted for Mitt anyway? The rest of us seem to have appreciated all the presentations. To me he was absolutely authentic, and vintage Mitt--understated, non braggadocious, humble, but self assured. He didn't try to be a rock star, because that's not who he is, and he didn't use a lot of meaningless platitudes just to get applause lines. He was who he is.

What I took away from this convention was that my hope that Mitt Romney would be up to the job have been replaced with a growing certainty that he absolutely is the man we need at this point in history.

Mitt and the New Republican Party!!! Will do more for the left minded than they realize.
It would be nice to see those folks look at history and put some faith in it.

Well, we'll put you down as one who wouldn't have voted for Mitt anyway?

I don't have a party affiliation, but really think that Romney is a good primary choice for the GOP. I was expecting to have to wait until the campaign for some of what I want to see him say, but I thought his speech missed my interests.
The rest of us seem to have appreciated all the presentations. To me he was absolutely authentic, and vintage Mitt--understated, non braggadocious, humble, but self assured.

He didn't try to be a rock star, because that's not who he is, and he didn't use a lot of meaningless platitudes just to get applause lines. He was who he is.

I just know that he is a very, very aware businessman, and at portions of the speech he was dumbed down to an extent that he did not seem authentic. I expected him to comment substantively on some of the platform rather than the cruder line-up which he'd opted for as well.

Have you seen his CPAC speeches the last few years? All were better. That stuff about him being some kind of stiff was generated by the dems and Mitt's campaign is being too poll-reactive. He is very confidence-inspiring when he's natural.

What I took away from the convention is that Ryan is not a weak point, that Ann Romney and her endorsements of her man are a strong point, that the GOP has a 'bench' of promising talent. I am sad to see the hold neocons still have in the GOP. I don't like the pessimistic message about the country being in some kind of shambles.

I will not vote for Mitt because I think America is on the brink of collapse, because I don't think we're close.

Forum List

Back