The 2012 Republican Conventiion

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
NOTE: This thread is in the CDZ so we can discuss the Republican Convention in the CDZ spirit. :)

The Republican Convention was gaveled to order and immediately recessed yesterday followed by a wonderful prayer for the victims of Isaac and those still in harm's way.

It is getting revved up full steam this afternoon with the roll call of states currently in process.

This thread is for comments on the process, the dynamics, the theme, the tone, and the speeches of those scheduled to speak. Also for what those watching hope to see result from the convention.

My first impression of the roll call is frustration with Fox who won't let us watch the roll call but has run constant commentary.

So I switch to CNN who has been totally focused on the unhappiness of the Ron Paul delegates.

MSNBC is focused on Al Sharpton blasting Rick Santorum for racist remarks. Sigh.

Modern news organizations have absolutely no clue how to cover a convention.

My first impression of the roll call is frustration with Fox who won't let us watch the roll call but has run constant commentary.

So I switch to CNN who has been totally focused on the unhappiness of the Ron Paul delegates.

MSNBC is focused on Al Sharpton blasting Rick Santorum for racist remarks. Sigh.

They're chipping away at the nation's unity, imho. What a buncha pirhanas the press has made of itself since the first time Wulf Blitzer drooled his way through a Clinton interview. Euuuw.

Is this a convention any registered Republicans can attend; or is it more of a mass press conference for candidates?

Anybody can attend Swagger, and lots of folks do, but to be on the Convention floor you have to be a Congressperson, government department head, a governor, a designated speaker, a member of an offocial state delegation, somebody that delegation has selected to announce or introduce something or somebody, such similar types, and/or a member of the media. That only allows for several thousand folks on the the convention floor. (I'm thinking crashing the party might be pretty easy.) Everybody else is consigned to the perimeters, balcony, etc.

I did get to watch a litle bit of Mia Love's speech. She black, beautiful, and from UTAH of all places and, if elected, would be the first black female Republican congresswoman. The only problem is she doesn't look very tough. And the opposition tends to be really really tough on conservative women in general, and on conservative black people in particular.

They know how to cover elections as to ratings – hence the above.

They know how to cover elections as to ratings – hence the above.

But years ago, before cable news, all three networks covered the conventions with all the announcements, all the speeches, all the hoopla and drama from gavel to gavel. And the world watched.

Watch online.

CNN.com has a stream.

Enjoying it so far.

John Kasich, gov of Ohio is talking. The guy who stripped Union rights. Then the people overturned his legislation by 22 points. And now he's talking about his success?

He's cut funding for children's health, education, higher education. In fact, he even cut tower guards at maximum security prisons. All to give tax cuts to the wealthiest in Ohio. He's "perfect". He's the perfect Republican.

Now he's talking about how Romney "fixed" the Olympics, but forgot to mention the 1.3 billions he got from the Republican Senate.

“If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen”

Barack Hussein Obama

They are hammering Obama on his belief that business owners suck.
Good for them...

John Kasich, gov of Ohio is talking. The guy who stripped Union rights. Then the people overturned his legislation by 22 points. And now he's talking about his success?

He's cut funding for children's health, education, higher education. In fact, he even cut tower guards at maximum security prisons. All to give tax cuts to the wealthiest in Ohio. He's "perfect". He's the perfect Republican.

Now he's talking about how Romney "fixed" the Olympics, but forgot to mention the 1.3 billions he got from the Republican Senate.

You left out all the good things that are happening in Ohio now, such as going from 48th in the nation to 4th in the nation in job creation. I doubt anybody is suffering to any cuts that were made in the process considering that Kasich's approval rating at one time nosedived into the basement and now is approaching 50% and continues to rise.

Forum List

Back