The 2012 Democrat Party Convention

I don't usually watch much of either, but I try to watch the highlights. The comments on 'you don't create American jobs with money in the Cayman Islands or Switzerland' was a great line. You'd have thought Romney, considering his presidential aspirations would never have done that. Legal doesn't always smell good. Lots of the rich use the Cayman's due to tax neutrality. It has always struck me as a hypocrite's class act that when money made here is deposited there. I love America but my money loves the mountains of Europe. But even regular Americans don't buy American, nor support a fair wage, so I guess what good for the goose [rich] is good for the gander [wannabes].

"The Cayman Islands is renowned as a leading offshore jurisdiction with a tax neutral environment. It has a solid political, legal and fiscal environment with a stable parliamentary democracy since 1831. There are no income, capital gains or other taxes imposed by the Cayman Islands on vessel owning companies. With the Privy Council in England being the ultimate court of appeal, the CISR operates within a stable British based legal system which is a compelling reason to choose the CISR for the registration of vessels and any associated loan financing and security. The Cayman Islands internationally renowned financial services industry also gives owners access to a full range of services including banking facilities, provision of Cayman Islands directorship services as well as sophisticated structures such as limited partnerships for ownership purposes." Cayman Financial Review :: Ten reasons to flag your vessel in the Cayman Islands

Last edited:
Delegate Vote held...... One try: No, Two Tries: No, Three Tries: No..

Okay that passed, now lets move on... Big Boooo's from the crowd!

Then the spin starts.. Oh that Liberal media! They suck......

Last edited:
I've tried watching it several times but I keep getting nauseated and feel like I'm going to throw up because of all the horse hockey these guys are tossing around. I can only take so much... It's like attending one of those "first liars don't stand a chance" contests.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I've tried watching it several times but I keep getting nauseated and feel like I'm going to throw up because of all the horse hockey these guys are tossing around. I can only take so much... It's like attending one of those "first liars don't stand a chance" contests.

i suppose that passes for 'clean debate', but i do understand how you feel. i felt that way trying to watch the GOP convention. it was worse trying to watch bush talk for 8 years.

Disgusting that the Democrats caved to the Republicans once again. They omitted God and Jerusalem mentions and as soon as the right starts complaining, they start including God and Jerusalem in their speeches.

It's like they are trolling Deval Patrick or something :lol:

i suppose that passes for 'clean debate', but i do understand how you feel. i felt that way trying to watch the GOP convention. it was worse trying to watch bush talk for 8 years.

Man... I've been following both as close as I can.

It's a compelling comparison.

A lot of focus has been on women's issues during this Democrat convention.
Hearing a lot about women's issues....
Do men count for anything in this party.
Talk tonight about immigration...that's what they call it when discussing illegal aliens.

And at any point during this convention will they ever talk about this nations incredible debt and what
if anything do they plan to do about it.

Any highlights for Clinton? I decided to take a long nap. Work has been tiring.

CHARLOTTE -- “The Democrats opened the second night of their convention by adding God and Jerusalem to their platform, and awaiting the return of Bill Clinton. Approved on a voice vote, the partly platform now mentions God and declares Jerusalem as the capital of Israel -- two previous omissions that had been attacked by Republicans and other political organizations."
See
Democrats restore God, Jerusalem to platform; await Clinton (CNN Article)

Democrats Restore God, Jerusalem to Platform; await return of Clinton (Image)

Update: I found a good quip related to the flap at the
convention:
" Sean Spicer, communications director of the Republican National Committee, mischievously tweeted: `God and Jerusalem booed 3 times on floor of Dem convention - now I get where concern abt light(n)ing tomorrow come from.'
See:
Changing venues and platform flap distract party as Obama seeks to mitigate risks - The Washington Post

I would add that, for an assembly purportedly consisting of God fearing Christians, it is a bit unseemly for them to await the return of Bill Clinton as if it was an event as significant as the return of Jesus Christ.

Did you notice that the MC asked for three votes to restore God and Jerusalem to the Democratic Party platform? Each time I listened carfully and the nays absolutely were as many as the yays, if not louder than the yays, And then the camera switched to the teleprompter that told the MC to accept the vote, and he announced that the yays were two thirds of the assembly and therefore it passed.

I've never seen anything like that. What a crock. Democracy in action.....NOT!

The democrats are a fractured party in disarray. They have a very powerful left wing base of atheists and anti-semites that is out of step with the majority of Americans . Apparently, out of step with many democrats as well.

Almost as bad as that was Pelosi on CNN. When she was asked about that, she said "it's been corrected, let's move on." When pressed, she was damn near close to putting her fingers in her ears and shouting "la la la la la la!"

Did you notice that the MC asked for three votes to restore God and Jerusalem to the Democratic Party platform? Each time I listened carfully and the nays absolutely were as many as the yays, if not louder than the yays, And then the camera switched to the teleprompter that told the MC to accept the vote, and he announced that the yays were two thirds of the assembly and therefore it passed.

I was disappointed to see that as well. It brought back memories of a Democratic Convention I attended as a teenager back in 1962. It was a state convention in Hartford Connecticut. There was a group of vociferous delegates in attendance, and on some matter the "chair" gaveled a motion though with the same disregard for Convention sentiment (of those in the hall anyway) as the "chair" at the national Democratic Convention did last night. In this era of "smart phones" the Convention organizers could have issued all of the accredited delegates smart phones so that if it was necessary for them to vote on an issue like they did yesterday, their smart phones would have alerted them, and they could have registered their YEA or NAY vote via their cellphones, regardless of where they were physically located. This "voice vote" procedure is an anachronistic and innaccurate way to try to conduct business.

I was disappointed to see that as well. It brought back memories of a Democratic Convention I attended as a teenager back in 1962. It was a state convention in Hartford Connecticut. There was a group of vociferous delegates in attendance, and on some matter the "chair" gaveled a motion though with the same disregard for Convention sentiment (of those in the hall anyway) as the "chair" at the national Democratic Convention did last night. In this era of "smart phones" the Convention organizers could have issued all of the accredited delegates smart phones so that if it was necessary for them to vote on an issue like they did yesterday, their smart phones would have alerted them, and they could have registered their YEA or NAY vote via their cellphones, regardless of where they were physically located. This "voice vote" procedure is an anachronistic and innaccurate way to try to conduct business.

As evidenced by how it went, it was obvious that it was just a vaguely necessary ritual required to change the platform. Obviously the vote didn't mean shit cause they didn't pay any attention to it. Which makes you wonder why they needed to do it in the first place.

That was just icing on the shit cake as surrounding the whole issue. There's no way the democrats can avoid having this used against them now. Worst case: Obama only put those two things back in cause he felt the political pressure. Best case: some people who don't care about God and don't believe in Jerusalem as the capital of Israel have plenty of control within the party.

Onto other topics: Bill Clinton is a great speaker. He got the crowd involved quite masterfully, throwing out little questions here and there like "right?" Taming the crowd with simple "wait, hold on a second" type comments. It really got the crowd into what he was saying, which is good for him cause his speech was much too long.

The democrats are a fractured party in disarray. They have a very powerful left wing base of atheists and anti-semites that is out of step with the majority of Americans . Apparently, out of step with many democrats as well.

The republicans are a fractured party in disarray. They have a very powerful right-wing base of Evangelical Christians that are out of step with the majority of Americans . Apparently, out of step with many republicans as well.

-----------------------------------

2 sides of the same coin, sir.

Having the vote go so seriously against amending the platform, then ignoring that vote, is not going to go well for the democrats. If it did nothing else, it was a stark highlight of the divisions in the democratic party and how far they have gone from how the democrats started out. Are democrats the kind of people to totally ignore the vote and do what they want to pander to another group? Sure! Democrats are just what republicans said they were all along and just proved it.

The republicans are a fractured party in disarray. They have a very powerful right-wing base of Evangelical Christians that are out of step with the majority of Americans . Apparently, out of step with many republicans as well.

-----------------------------------

2 sides of the same coin, sir.

The difference is, the republicans didn't fracture over their own platform. The democrats did and in a very public way. Not only did they fracture, but ignored their own vote to pander to the avalanche of democrats who were mercilessly beating them up from home.

Forum List

Back