That WAS The Democratic and Repubican Party

Blacks were part of that abolition movememt and blacks died fighting slavery from its inception. Seem like that gets skipped over and it should not. And why are we supposed to give whites credit for ending something wrong they started in the first place? Furthermore and I will repeat, if whites had really been so much for our freedom there never would have been Jim Crow.
Must be blacks still have slavery today and the first country to abolish slavery were whites in Great Britain

Yeah well, just keep voting for democrats. They've done so much for "your people" already...
They've done more for us in 60 years than Republicans did in 100. I don't know why whites like you try this. I was alive when blacks finally left the Repubican party and I heard why from all kinds of older folks. So you can drop that Republican bs because I know the real history of the repubican party and blacks.

Last edited:
They've done more for us in 60 years than Republicans did in 100. I don't know why whites like you try this. I was alive when blacks finaly left the Repubican party and I heard why from all kinds of older folks. So you can drop that Republican bs because I know the real history of the repubican party and blacks.
I'll tell you why cause LBJ said "I'll have them negroes voting democrat for the next 200 hundred" keeping you all on the welfare state plantation and most of you stay there

No, the first was Haiti, done by blacks, and they've caught hell ever since.
Haiti you mean where cannibal gangs are running the streets now or you mean when they killed every white person on the island

Yeah you certainly don't exemplify a stereotype at all (eye roll)

Really?

1712293721321.png

I'll tell you why cause LBJ said "I'll have them negroes voting democrat for the next 200 hundred" keeping you all on the welfare state plantation and most of you stay there
You'll tell me nothing punk. Abe Lincoln said this:

1712293853996.png

And this:

1712293920604.png

And yet you scrubs still brag about being the party of Lincoln to black people.

Haiti you mean where cannibal gangs are running the streets now or you mean when they killed every white person on the island

Yeah you certainly don't exemplify a stereotype at all (eye roll)

Much of Haitis problems have been caused by the west. And perhaps whites, who have started 2 world wars, numerous other conflicts, and who policies have destablized nations should STFU about Haiti.

They've done more for us in 60 years than Republicans did in 100. I don't know why whites like you try this. I was alive when blacks finally left the Repubican party and I heard why from all kinds of older folks. So you can drop that Republican bs because I know the real history of the repubican party and blacks.
Ain't nothing fake about this.

Sure you do, lol.

Just keep doing what you've been doing, it's bound to get better sometime...
Republicans authored an amendment making slavery a constitutionally protected activity. The Republican party is the party of the Corwin Amendment that would have made slavery constitutional.

A Republican president, with the support of the Republican Party, ended reconstruction. The Republican Party is the party of the 1877 Compromise that ended reconstruction and paved the way for Jim Crow.

Once blacks got a foothold in the Republican party and gained some semblance of political equality, white Republicans took steps to purge blacks from leadership positions. The Republican Party is the party of the Lily White movement, a group of Republicans that worked to purge blacks from the party.

Republicans consistently broke promises or ignored issues that affected black people. When blacks got Civil Rights, the Republican Party did not believe that was civil or right and decided that extremism in defense of liberty was no vice. In 1964 the Republican Party turned its back on blacks after nearly 100 years of black support.

Today’s Republican Party is controlled by a racist Anti-Black base.

All of these comments these are factually correct. So move on Republican because your party is full of racists and a black person would be an IDIOT to be part of the MAGA Party as it stands right now. White racisms continuance is our problem, not the Democratic party.

When blacks got Civil Rights, the Republican Party did not believe that was civil or right and decided that extremism in defense of liberty was no vice. In 1964 the Republican Party turned its back on blacks after nearly 100 years of black support.
Nope but go ahead and believe that if it makes you feel better.

FACT CHECK: ‘More Republicans Voted For The Civil Rights Act As A Percentage Than Democrats’​

Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro claimed on a Dec. 3 episode of his podcast that, compared to Democrats, a greater percentage of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

“More Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act as a percentage than Democrats did,” he said on the show.

Verdict: True

While the landmark act received a majority of support from both parties, a greater percentage of Republicans voted in favor of the bill. Throughout the 1950s and ’60s, Republicans were generally more unified than Democrats in support of civil rights legislation, as many southern Democrats voted in opposition.

Fact Check:

Shapiro made the claim in response to a question put forward by Franklin Foer in an article he wrote for The Atlantic. “What if the moderate Republicans of the late 1950s and early ’60s had aggressively owned the civil-rights agenda – and rendered the cause of racial justice a bipartisan concern?” asked Foer.

“By the way, they did,” responded Shapiro.

As the civil rights movement gained momentum in the 1950s and ’60s, the federal government passed a number of civil rights bills, four of which were named the Civil Rights Act.

Of the four acts passed between 1957 and 1968, Republicans in both chambers of Congress voted in favor at a higher rate than Democrats in all but one case. Republicans often had fewer total votes in support than Democrats due to the substantial majorities Democrats held in both the House and Senate.

The most commonly cited of the Civil Rights Acts is the one passed in 1964. Shapiro told The Daily Caller News Foundation that he was referring to the 1964 act.

Originally proposed in 1963 by former President John F. Kennedy, a Democrat, the bill ended segregation in public places and made employment discrimination illegal. The House passed the bill after 70 days of public hearings and testimony in a 290-130 vote. The bill received 152 “yea” votes from Democrats, or 60 percent of their party, and 138 votes from Republicans, or 78 percent of their party.

These percentages include four vote categories – “yea,” “nay,” “present” and “not voting.”

In the Senate, the bill faced strong and organized opposition from southern Democrats. Influential senators like Richard Russell, Strom Thurmond (who would soon switch to the Republican Party), Robert Byrd, William Fulbright and Sam Ervin joined together to launch a filibuster that lasted for 57 days. Russell, a Democrat from Georgia, at one point argued that the bill would lead to the destruction of the South’s “two different social orders” and result in the “amalgamation and mongrelization of our people.”

After some changes were made to the bill and the filibuster ended, it passed the Senate with a 73-27 vote. About 82 percent of Republicans in the Senate voted for the bill, as did 69 percent of Democrats. The amended Senate bill was then sent back to the House where it passed with 76 percent support from Republicans and 60 percent support from Democrats.

A number of powerful Democrats, such as President Lyndon B. Johnson and Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, played important roles in getting the legislation passed.

Prior to this, Congress had passed the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the first major civil rights legislation to be enacted in decades, that sought to protect the voting rights of black Americans. The bill passed the House in a 286-126 vote. Only 51 percent of Democrats voted in favor of the bill, or 119 of their 235 members, compared to 84 percent of Republicans, or 167 of their 199 members.

The bill was then brought to the Senate where Thurmond, an ardent foe of integration, filibustered the vote for a total of 24 hours and 18 minutes in protest – the longest individual filibuster in history. Thurmond once said in a speech that “there’s not enough troops in the army to force the southern people to break down segregation and admit the Negro race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes and into our churches.”

After the filibuster ended and a number of changes had been made, the bill passed in a 72-18 vote. The bill received 43 of 46 Republican votes, or 93 percent, and 29 of 49 Democratic votes, or 59 percent. The Senate version was sent back to the House, where it was approved after amendment in a 279-97 vote (75 percent of Republicans voting in favor and 55 percent of Democrats). The Senate agreed to the amendment, with support from 80 percent of Republicans and 46 percent of Democrats. Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law on Sept. 9, 1957.

Congress also passed the Civil Rights Act of 1960, which further addressed the voting rights of black Americans and established penalties for those who tried to prevent people from voting. The bill passed the House on a 311-109 vote that garnered support from the majority of both parties. Roughly 87 percent of Republicans voted in favor of the act, as did 64 percent of Democrats.

In the Senate, the bill was then amended and passed with similar levels of support – 83 percent of Republicans voted “yea” versus 65 percent of Democrats. The House approved the final bill in a 288-95 vote, with 81 percent of Republicans and 59 percent of Democrats in favor.

Congress later passed the Civil Rights Act of 1968, also known as the Fair Housing Act. It initially passed the House in a 327-93 vote, with 68 percent support from Democrats and 87 percent support from Republicans. It then went to the Senate, where it was amended and voted upon, passing in a 71-20 vote in which 42 Democrats (66 percent) and 29 Republicans (81 percent) voted in favor.

The bill was then sent back to the House where it passed in a 250-172 vote. In this final vote, 61 percent of House Democrats voted in favor of the bill, compared to 53 percent of Republicans, marking the only time in all four of the Civil Rights Acts that Democrats voted in favor at a higher percentage than Republicans.

Blacks were part of that abolition movememt and blacks died fighting slavery from its inception. Seem like that gets skipped over and it should not. And why are we supposed to give whites credit for ending something wrong they started in the first place? Furthermore and I will repeat, if whites had really been so much for our freedom there never would have been Jim Crow.

And in all that time that blacks were fighting, they didn't have anywhere near as many die as the whites did during the Civil War.

Not even remotely close.

Much of Haitis problems have been caused by the west. And perhaps whites, who have started 2 world wars, numerous other conflicts, and who policies have destablized nations should STFU about Haiti.
Nice broad generalization there, sport.

Nah, maybe it's the fact they are corrupt as hell and have cannibals as their leaders.

Maybe it really is that simple.

Slavery existed in Africa for thousands of years before it existed in America. Mauritania in West Africa didn't outlaw slavery until 1981.
I don't live in Africa and slavery existed on Greece, Rome and Europe at the same time it existed in Africa. I don't care when Mauritania ended slavery, because in the US, Jim Crow,which virtually reinstated slavery lasted until at least 1964 by written law and we see the right trying to re establish Jim Crow now. This conversation is about America and that tired white diversion about slavery in Afrca doesn't have a damn thing to do with this topic.

It's not 1860 anymore as I get told when I talk about slavery or reparations. But for some reason the right believes they have special privileges and can determine what particular parts of the past can be discussed today.

Now it's the Republicans, starting with Nixon after the blacks won their fight in the 1960s for their civil rights, ending Jim Crow segregation. He made sure blacks would pay by starting the drug war, to hurt both the hippies and blacks. Poor black communities were decimated by a new influx of heroin from Southeast Asia and other drugs, leading to the crack epidemic of the 1980s. Our prison population skyrocketed, leading to a lot more problems for blacks and poor Hispanics, and Whites as well.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
It's not 1860 anymore as I get told when I talk about slavery or reparations. But for some reason the right believes they have special privileges and can determine what particular parts of the past can be discussed today.

You have a lot of hatred in you which must consume your life. If you found a way to get rid of all the hate, your life would be much better.

Nope but go ahead and believe that if it makes you feel better.

FACT CHECK: ‘More Republicans Voted For The Civil Rights Act As A Percentage Than Democrats’​

Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro claimed on a Dec. 3 episode of his podcast that, compared to Democrats, a greater percentage of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

“More Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act as a percentage than Democrats did,” he said on the show.

Verdict: True

While the landmark act received a majority of support from both parties, a greater percentage of Republicans voted in favor of the bill. Throughout the 1950s and ’60s, Republicans were generally more unified than Democrats in support of civil rights legislation, as many southern Democrats voted in opposition.

Fact Check:

Shapiro made the claim in response to a question put forward by Franklin Foer in an article he wrote for The Atlantic. “What if the moderate Republicans of the late 1950s and early ’60s had aggressively owned the civil-rights agenda – and rendered the cause of racial justice a bipartisan concern?” asked Foer.

“By the way, they did,” responded Shapiro.

As the civil rights movement gained momentum in the 1950s and ’60s, the federal government passed a number of civil rights bills, four of which were named the Civil Rights Act.

Of the four acts passed between 1957 and 1968, Republicans in both chambers of Congress voted in favor at a higher rate than Democrats in all but one case. Republicans often had fewer total votes in support than Democrats due to the substantial majorities Democrats held in both the House and Senate.

The most commonly cited of the Civil Rights Acts is the one passed in 1964. Shapiro told The Daily Caller News Foundation that he was referring to the 1964 act.

Originally proposed in 1963 by former President John F. Kennedy, a Democrat, the bill ended segregation in public places and made employment discrimination illegal. The House passed the bill after 70 days of public hearings and testimony in a 290-130 vote. The bill received 152 “yea” votes from Democrats, or 60 percent of their party, and 138 votes from Republicans, or 78 percent of their party.

These percentages include four vote categories – “yea,” “nay,” “present” and “not voting.”

In the Senate, the bill faced strong and organized opposition from southern Democrats. Influential senators like Richard Russell, Strom Thurmond (who would soon switch to the Republican Party), Robert Byrd, William Fulbright and Sam Ervin joined together to launch a filibuster that lasted for 57 days. Russell, a Democrat from Georgia, at one point argued that the bill would lead to the destruction of the South’s “two different social orders” and result in the “amalgamation and mongrelization of our people.”

After some changes were made to the bill and the filibuster ended, it passed the Senate with a 73-27 vote. About 82 percent of Republicans in the Senate voted for the bill, as did 69 percent of Democrats. The amended Senate bill was then sent back to the House where it passed with 76 percent support from Republicans and 60 percent support from Democrats.

A number of powerful Democrats, such as President Lyndon B. Johnson and Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, played important roles in getting the legislation passed.

Prior to this, Congress had passed the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the first major civil rights legislation to be enacted in decades, that sought to protect the voting rights of black Americans. The bill passed the House in a 286-126 vote. Only 51 percent of Democrats voted in favor of the bill, or 119 of their 235 members, compared to 84 percent of Republicans, or 167 of their 199 members.

The bill was then brought to the Senate where Thurmond, an ardent foe of integration, filibustered the vote for a total of 24 hours and 18 minutes in protest – the longest individual filibuster in history. Thurmond once said in a speech that “there’s not enough troops in the army to force the southern people to break down segregation and admit the Negro race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes and into our churches.”

After the filibuster ended and a number of changes had been made, the bill passed in a 72-18 vote. The bill received 43 of 46 Republican votes, or 93 percent, and 29 of 49 Democratic votes, or 59 percent. The Senate version was sent back to the House, where it was approved after amendment in a 279-97 vote (75 percent of Republicans voting in favor and 55 percent of Democrats). The Senate agreed to the amendment, with support from 80 percent of Republicans and 46 percent of Democrats. Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law on Sept. 9, 1957.

Congress also passed the Civil Rights Act of 1960, which further addressed the voting rights of black Americans and established penalties for those who tried to prevent people from voting. The bill passed the House on a 311-109 vote that garnered support from the majority of both parties. Roughly 87 percent of Republicans voted in favor of the act, as did 64 percent of Democrats.

In the Senate, the bill was then amended and passed with similar levels of support – 83 percent of Republicans voted “yea” versus 65 percent of Democrats. The House approved the final bill in a 288-95 vote, with 81 percent of Republicans and 59 percent of Democrats in favor.

Congress later passed the Civil Rights Act of 1968, also known as the Fair Housing Act. It initially passed the House in a 327-93 vote, with 68 percent support from Democrats and 87 percent support from Republicans. It then went to the Senate, where it was amended and voted upon, passing in a 71-20 vote in which 42 Democrats (66 percent) and 29 Republicans (81 percent) voted in favor.

The bill was then sent back to the House where it passed in a 250-172 vote. In this final vote, 61 percent of House Democrats voted in favor of the bill, compared to 53 percent of Republicans, marking the only time in all four of the Civil Rights Acts that Democrats voted in favor at a higher percentage than Republicans.

Members of today’s Republican Party tell a tale about Republican support for the Civil Rights and Voting Rights act. They spin a fabulous story about a Democratic filibuster and will say that by percentage more Democrats opposed these bills than Republicans. According to Merriam-Webster the definition of disingenuous is lacking in candor: giving a false appearance of simple frankness.” As it pertains to the Civil Rights Act, 153 Democrats and 139 Republicans voted in favor of the legislation in the house. In the senate, 46 Democrats and 27 Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act. In the house, 221 Democrats voted for the Voting Rights Act, and 112 Republicans did.22 In the senate, 47 Democrats voted for the Voting Rights Act, and 30 Republicans did.

HR. 7152, Senate vote on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Jun 19, 1964 https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/88-1964/s40920.

H.R. 7152. Civil Rights Act of 1964. Adoption of a resolution (h. Res. 789) providing for house approval of the bill as amended by theSenate, Jul 2, 1964 H.R. 7152. CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1964. ADOPTION OF A … -- House Vote #182 -- Jul 2, 1964.

TO PASS S. 1564, The Voting Rights Act Of 1965, May 26, 1965, TO PASS S. 1564, THE VOTING RIGHTS ACT OF 1965. -- Senate Vote #78 -- May 26, 1965 .

TO PASS H.R. 6400, The 1965 Voting Rights Act, Jul 9, 1965, TO PASS H.R. 6400, THE 1965 VOTING RIGHTS ACT. -- House Vote #87 -- Jul 9, 1965 .

Percentages are not people.

On December 6, 2019, The House of Representatives passed H.R. 4, the Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2019, by a vote of 228-186. This bill was proposed to undo the damage caused by the Roberts Supreme Court 2013 decision. There were 187 Republicans in the House of Representatives in 2019. One Republican voted for this bill, Brian Fitzpatrick from Pennsylvania. In 2021, The John Lewis Voting Rights Act was opposed by every Republican in the senate. Senate Republicans wouldn’t even let the bill come to the floor for debate. They filibustered the John Lewis Voting Rights Act like Dixiecrats did the Voting Rights Act in 1965.

116TH CONGRESS, 1ST SESSION, Roll Call 654, Bill Number: H. R. 4, Voting Rights Advancement Act, DEC 06, 2019,Roll Call 654 Roll Call 654, Bill Number: H. R. 4, 116th Congress, 1st Session

Josh Israel, Every Senate Republican just voted against voting rights — again, American Independent, January 20, 2022,https://americanindependent.com/sen...g-rights-advancement-act-freedom-to-vote-act/

Forum List

Back