That Sinking Feeling

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It seems that almost half of China's major cities are actually sinking. So...that kinda sucks. Considering the enormous number of people who live in China's urban areas, this is a potentially catastrophic development. And it's not just an issue in China. We might have to start jacking cities up all over the place or learn to hold our breath longer.

If that is happening, and I'm guessing the rapid expansion of these cities and their infrastructure are not prepared for this, meaning a slow collapse of many of these urban areas with roads and buildings starting to buckle. 10 mm per year is close to 1/2" a year and that is crazy. They have to stop ground water extraction in these areas.

It seems that almost half of China's major cities are actually sinking. So...that kinda sucks. Considering the enormous number of people who live in China's urban areas, this is a potentially catastrophic development. And it's not just an issue in China. We might have to start jacking cities up all over the place or learn to hold our breath longer.

The cure for that is to Drive test piling and test them first. Buildings standing tall ordinarily get piles under them in the USA.

Even New York which is built on some of the hardest rock on Earth is slightly sinking. I can imagine other cities with massive buildings are sinking more.
WTF,

Cities Sinking

or

Oceans Rising.

I believe NEITHER>

China is sinking to hell because they murdered millions of people with covid....

Sucks to be them. Maybe they should have kept their little coronavirus to themselves.

Even New York which is built on some of the hardest rock on Earth is slightly sinking. I can imagine other cities with massive buildings are sinking more.

New York City is built on glacier till ... the Hudson Valley glacier entered the warm sea there and melted, dropping the sediment load ... Buffalo is built on hard rock but she's 600 feet above sea level ...

Port of Stockholm, Sweden, is rising out of the water ...

Forum List

Back