• I'm going out (restaurant)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I'm working a soup kitchen

• No plans

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Watching Football & Drinking Beer

• Other (I always forget something obvious...)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
we do it all from scratch....you dont have to be the typical rushed woman to make scratch....grumpy makes pie crusts while i put the fillings together....he made the turkey ....i made the side dishes....we had turkey, cranberry sauce with the ripples from the can lol.....okra and sweet potato casserole....there were only two of us.....pumpkin pie and apple pie...the clean up is hell

You are tossing away the nutrition in the peel, and fiber. And pouring a lot down the drain. Steaming retains more than boiling but it takes much longer. I can't say I can taste the difference between nuked and boiled though.

Well, then, feel free not to eat at my house. I'm making potatoes the way I like my potatoes, and you're not obligated to eat them or to cook yours the same way. I would be sorry if my potato preparation didn't meet your exacting standards of "right and wrong potatoes", except that I didn't ask, don't care, and don't plan to change that.

Meh, everyone is an expert online, you know. :D You are always going to be doing it wrong according to somebody somewhere I suppose. Lol.

Hey, I'm all about conversations about recipes, tips, and ideas. Abrasive, in-your-face "You're wrong, you have to do it like this or YOU'RE FUCKING UP!" are something else entirely. I'm never very tolerant about people coming at me that way, and right now, Northeasterners are on my last nerve, so adopting their attitude isn't likely to get a good response.
You don't have to take it so seriously, you know.

You also don't have to do it.
I haven't. If someone told me how to bake potatoes I wouldn't take it seriously or personally. I might even consider the point they were making.

We had 18 people here yesterday, I only had to make the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and get some rolls. Everyone else did the "fill ins" to it was a dream :)

Clean up wasn't that bad either! All in all I good day.

Now I have to put up Christmas decorations... will prob. do that tomorrow.

We had 18 people here yesterday, I only had to make the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and get some rolls. Everyone else did the "fill ins" to it was a dream :)

I hope somebody brought some veggies. And it's too early for Christmas stuff! Although an elderly customer is hot to trot for me to install them.

I hope somebody brought some veggies. And it's too early for Christmas stuff! Although an elderly customer is hot to trot for me to install them.

If I don't have the decorations up by Dec 8th I will get yelled at and told I may as well not put them up at all. Of course, I'm also told it doesn't matter (now.....) but in a week - it will matter. Fun!

Yes, we had corn pudding, peas, creamed lima beans, all southern fare - (I did make the peas and creamy limas forgot about that.. those were easy to make though)..... we don't have as may leftover as in the past so that's pretty cool. Will be making myself a yummy ham sandwich today. Will save the turkey for hubby - he loves it!

ya, we put up the tree & decorate that today, decorate the rest of the house tomorrow & clean up on sunday. with plenty of leftovers to feed us without having to cook anything else to take up time.

I find it easier to just decorate now- cause as the weeks go by ,time becomes precious since there's get togethers & parties to participate in :banana::beer::cheers2::dance::eusa_dance::huddle::party::smoke::spinner::thewave::wine:

:woohoo:

I find it easier to just decorate now- cause as the weeks go by ,time becomes precious since there's get togethers & parties to participate in :banana::beer::cheers2::dance::eusa_dance::huddle::party::smoke::spinner::thewave::wine:

Well, hell, just do like some of my neighbors do and leave them up all year.

Well, then, feel free not to eat at my house. I'm making potatoes the way I like my potatoes, and you're not obligated to eat them or to cook yours the same way. I would be sorry if my potato preparation didn't meet your exacting standards of "right and wrong potatoes", except that I didn't ask, don't care, and don't plan to change that.

Meh, everyone is an expert online, you know. :D You are always going to be doing it wrong according to somebody somewhere I suppose. Lol.

Hey, I'm all about conversations about recipes, tips, and ideas. Abrasive, in-your-face "You're wrong, you have to do it like this or YOU'RE FUCKING UP!" are something else entirely. I'm never very tolerant about people coming at me that way, and right now, Northeasterners are on my last nerve, so adopting their attitude isn't likely to get a good response.

I haven't. If someone told me how to bake potatoes I wouldn't take it seriously or personally. I might even consider the point they were making.

You actually are reminding me a lot of my ex-husband, who says everything with the most critical, abrasive word choice he can come up with, and then is utterly bewildered why people get offended when he's "just helping".

My parents just moved from Boston to Jacksonville two months ago, so that's where we are. Flori-DUH

If I don't have the decorations up by Dec 8th I will get yelled at and told I may as well not put them up at all. Of course, I'm also told it doesn't matter (now.....) but in a week - it will matter. Fun!

Yes, we had corn pudding, peas, creamed lima beans, all southern fare - (I did make the peas and creamy limas forgot about that.. those were easy to make though)..... we don't have as may leftover as in the past so that's pretty cool. Will be making myself a yummy ham sandwich today. Will save the turkey for hubby - he loves it!

I'm planning to do Christmas decorations on Sunday. I'd probably do them sooner, but I have to work both today and Saturday. I'm very excited about our first Christmas in our new place. And I love Christmas decorations. To my way of thinking, the Christmas season is already too small an amount of time to enjoy decorations, so I want to get as much out of it as possible.

You actually are reminding me a lot of my ex-husband, who says everything with the most critical, abrasive word choice he can come up with, and then is utterly bewildered why people get offended when he's "just helping".

Many men just say that is being "honest" and "unfiltered" - or say "'say that' just the way they are".....

Actually, some of the decorations I'm putting up, I DO intend to leave up all year. Some of the decorative lights I will be putting on the balcony railing outside will be a year-round addition to my outdoor décor.

Actually, some of the decorations I'm putting up, I DO intend to leave up all year. Some of the decorative lights I will be putting on the balcony railing outside will be a year-round addition to my outdoor décor.

All white? Or colors?

No offense to anyone that decorates like this but I HATE these colors:

I can't stand only blue lights.....

upload_2015-11-27_11-55-3.jpeg

Many men just say that is being "honest" and "unfiltered" - or say "'say that' just the way they are".....

Yes, that sort of rationalization is exactly why I take it so seriously: our society has almost entirely forgotten the obligation to facilitate civilized communication by considering how one's words will sound to others in favor of the "right" to say anything one damned well pleases and shift responsibility off onto others to "not take things so personally", regardless of whether or not it SHOULD have been said at all.

Just got back from lunch, where I indulged in my OTHER favorite Thanksgiving leftovers: employer-purchased catering. I didn't work yesterday, but in the grand tradition of many companies that have to require their employees to work on holidays, my employer brought in food. And this place does NOT do the chintzy, $5-pizza-just-enough-for-two-slices-each thing when they decide to put on the feedbag. They ordered in from a gourmet sandwich shop down the street: three kinds of fresh-made bread, platters of deli meat, veggies, pasta salad, Asian noodle salad, fancy pumpkin and pecan pies . . . and enough of it for yesterday's people to stuff themselves, and still have three refrigerators worth of food left for the Black Friday people (because my employer considers Black Friday to be a holiday workday, too).

Should not have had the sliver of pecan pie, given my blood sugar issues, but ehrmagerd, it was soooooooo good.

I was only just helping. Poor guy. :cool:

My nephew (raised by only a woman) was always upset because I didn't speak to him in an effeminate way. Told him I wasn't gay.

Forum List

Back