• I'm going out (restaurant)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I'm working a soup kitchen

• No plans

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Watching Football & Drinking Beer

• Other (I always forget something obvious...)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Actually, I peel them by scoring a light line around the middle with a knife, then boiling them, then just sliding the peels off once they're cooked. Least amount of work I've ever found on the subject.

I don't care for nuked potatoes.
You are tossing away the nutrition in the peel, and fiber. And pouring a lot down the drain. Steaming retains more than boiling but it takes much longer. I can't say I can taste the difference between nuked and boiled though.

Well, then, feel free not to eat at my house. I'm making potatoes the way I like my potatoes, and you're not obligated to eat them or to cook yours the same way. I would be sorry if my potato preparation didn't meet your exacting standards of "right and wrong potatoes", except that I didn't ask, don't care, and don't plan to change that.

Meh, everyone is an expert online, you know. :D You are always going to be doing it wrong according to somebody somewhere I suppose. Lol.

Hey, I'm all about conversations about recipes, tips, and ideas. Abrasive, in-your-face "You're wrong, you have to do it like this or YOU'RE FUCKING UP!" are something else entirely. I'm never very tolerant about people coming at me that way, and right now, Northeasterners are on my last nerve, so adopting their attitude isn't likely to get a good response.

I'm a northeasterner. :D I guess you'd better steer clear of me! Lol.

Not unless you have bad manners, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Honestly, though, I will never understand how you guys manage to live together without having a riot every other week. What passes for regular conversation in New York, New Jersey, and Boston would be intolerable rudeness in the rest of the country, y'know. By the nature of our customer base at work, I caption a lot of phone calls from those areas on certain mornings, and the level of aggressive abrasiveness is just appalling. I've heard muggers talk to their victims more politely.

For my money, mashed potatoes have to be homemade. My family will eat instant, but I'd rather lick the inside of the trashcan. Besides, they're incredibly easy. Peel 'em, chop 'em, boil 'em, add evaporated milk, butter, and poultry seasoning, and hit 'em with the hand mixer. I happen to like my mashed potatoes with chunks of potato still in 'em.
You are working too hard and loosing a LOT of nutrition. Leave the skin on, scrub them with a Scotch Brite pad, nuke them for 5 minutes, add a little water, butter, half n half, mash em up. Done.

Actually, I peel them by scoring a light line around the middle with a knife, then boiling them, then just sliding the peels off once they're cooked. Least amount of work I've ever found on the subject.

You are tossing away the nutrition in the peel, and fiber. And pouring a lot down the drain. Steaming retains more than boiling but it takes much longer. I can't say I can taste the difference between nuked and boiled though.

Well, then, feel free not to eat at my house. I'm making potatoes the way I like my potatoes, and you're not obligated to eat them or to cook yours the same way. I would be sorry if my potato preparation didn't meet your exacting standards of "right and wrong potatoes", except that I didn't ask, don't care, and don't plan to change that.
Potato Nazi!

Please. I'm a potato heretic. Get it right.

Meh, everyone is an expert online, you know. :D You are always going to be doing it wrong according to somebody somewhere I suppose. Lol.

Hey, I'm all about conversations about recipes, tips, and ideas. Abrasive, in-your-face "You're wrong, you have to do it like this or YOU'RE FUCKING UP!" are something else entirely. I'm never very tolerant about people coming at me that way, and right now, Northeasterners are on my last nerve, so adopting their attitude isn't likely to get a good response.
You don't have to take it so seriously, you know.

Bad manners are always serious. Our society is going down the crapper because no one knows or cares how to accomplish polite, civilized behavior, nor do they even feel that they SHOULD know or care. It's one thing to be nasty and hostile over political disagreements; it's another to simply be sloppy and careless in casual conversation about whether we express ourselves offensively or not.

Anyhow, I am going to be making my own stuffing and my own apple pie. Everything else will be leftovers from mom. My mother is an excellent cook, that's for sure. :) I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving.

I would love to do pies from scratch, but I simply don't have time. Pie crust is so fiddly if you don't want it all chewy. I will make up for it with a peach cobbler to accompany the ham I'm going to make when the turkey leftovers are done.

My mom is a shitty cook - she makes me look like a gourmet - it'

My mom is a very workmanlike cook: she can mix stuff together and heat it and produce something nutritious that doesn't outrage every taste bud in your mouth. My daughter is a bit better, but she's still learning. My sister can produce recipes that make you pray for death.

I am proud to be the family member everyone else calls for cooking tips and recipes. I am actually compiling a recipe book of my best dishes for my kids to have when I pass on.

it's sad no one on either side of our families can or are willng to cook or host and it falls to me, and I suck at it and hate it

I mean, the turkey is pretty much the easiest part. You just have to put it in the oven and time it (unless you stuff your bird - we don't do that - we have our stuffing on the side). So you would be getting away pretty easy if you had your family members and friends bring side dishes.

They do say you shouldn't stuff your bird because it's an engraved invitation to salmonella. Personally, I never did it just because I don't have the patience to double the roasting time.

it's sad no one on either side of our families can or are willng to cook or host and it falls to me, and I suck at it and hate it

I mean, the turkey is pretty much the easiest part. You just have to put it in the oven and time it (unless you stuff your bird - we don't do that - we have our stuffing on the side). So you would be getting away pretty easy if you had your family members and friends bring side dishes.

The turkey is a done deal. I will me the mashed potatoes, gravy and corn pudding and rolls.
It's up to the others to supply the rest.
I'll have iced tea and sodas on hand as well (no one in my family but me drinks coffee....)

My sister can produce recipes that make you pray for death.

:lmao:

Be glad you weren't there the Thanksgiving she decided to "experiment" with an entirely French cuisine menu. I'm lucky my taste buds didn't defect.

They do say you shouldn't stuff your bird because it's an engraved invitation to salmonella. Personally, I never did it just because I don't have the patience to double the roasting time.

Stuffing cooked in the bird is too soggy and bland.

Bad manners are always serious. Our society is going down the crapper because no one knows or cares how to accomplish polite, civilized behavior, nor do they even feel that they SHOULD know or care. It's one thing to be nasty and hostile over political disagreements; it's another to simply be sloppy and careless in casual conversation about whether we express ourselves offensively or not.
This is where you come for polite civil conversation? Exactly what was so fucking offensive?

True. If you like that sort of thing, you can bake the dressing separately, and then put in into the bird in the last hour or so of the roasting. Again, I see no point.

This is where you come for polite civil conversation? Exactly what was so fucking offensive?

This particular thread? Yes.

As for offensive, you're a grown-up, Ice. You should be able to tell why your phrasing was needlessly rude and confrontational for a discussion about potatoes.

I'm old fashioned and if I'm making mashed potatoes, I usually peel them, cut them into cubes and boil them. I add things like sour cream and cheese. I like to make loaded mashed potatoes with crumbled bacon, scallions, sour cream, and some cheese. Delicious but of course you can only have those on special occasions. :)

Oh, don't I wish I could cook things with crumbled bacon. Sadly, the bacon barely lasts long enough to let the grease drain off before it's devoured.

You also don't have to do it.

Anyhow, I am going to be making my own stuffing and my own apple pie. Everything else will be leftovers from mom. My mother is an excellent cook, that's for sure. :) I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving.

I would love to bake my pies from scratch, but since I worked yesterday, I expected to be too tired when I came home to bother, and I was right. Thank God there's a good bakery in the nearby shopping center.

Why don't you have everyone bring a side dish and you can just make the turkey? :) That's a good idea, amirite? :D

that's what my family does..... why put it on one person's shoulders when there's a crowd to feed?

I love cooking for people . . . but I don't mind if the guests want to pony up for the ingredients.

I like putting craisins in my stuffing....

I've thought about doing that with the cornbread stuffing before, or putting some kind of dried fruit in there. Sounds good.

I like to put chopped pecans in my cornbread stuffing. I WOULD like to put celery in it, but Joe refuses to have celery in the same house with him, and since he pays half the rent . . .

True. If you like that sort of thing, you can bake the dressing separately, and then put in into the bird in the last hour or so of the roasting. Again, I see no point.

I should mention that I have every intention of spooning gravy over my dressing, anyway, so moistness is not an issue.

This year, I have discovered my new favorite Thanksgiving menu ingredient: Four Peaks Peach Ale. A couple of cans of that for the cook, and who cares if the turkey doesn't roast evenly? Woo hoo! Happy Thanksgiving!

I should mention that I have every intention of spooning gravy over my dressing, anyway, so moistness is not an issue.

My mom makes pork stuffing, so the pork adds a lot of moisture to the stuffing. No, we never cook our stuffing in the bird. Like you, we just cook it as a side dish.

Forum List

Back