• I would never own an EV

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I have an EV, but going back to ICE/Hybrid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a Hybrid

• Hydrogen for me or some other technology

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I'll end up changing lifestyle move/use public transport etc..

• Planning to car share

• Total voters

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
So what's your relationship/stance/circumstance with EV's?

The inconvenience of an EV is not for me so in 2035, I'll nearly be 70. So current thought process is to buy a newish secondhand ICE car or a new one just before new ICE sales are banned. Also, I wouldn't rule out a better technology than battery.

But I do have a niggly feeling 2035 is not achievable, but that's a separate discussion.

Hoping this thread stays on track with your relationship/stance/circumstances/plans towards EV's as opposed to EV fires etc..

logo.png

Like most middle-class American adults, I have more than one family vehicle. I also have a garage where it is convenient to install a 220V line to charge an EV, if necessary. I have the wherewithal to purchase a new vehicle from time to time.

Given all that, it was an easy choice to trade my wife's Beemer for a Tesla Model 3. We will do 90% of our driving in the Tesla because it is efficient, comfortable, and costs about a fifth as much, mile for mile, to operate. The fact that it loses about 35% of its theoretical range in very cold weather is irrelevant to me. I can still get almost 200 miles per charge, which is more than enough for any day of routine driving.

Oddly, the shortcoming that bothers me most isn't even mentioned by most critics: You can't have AM radio or Sirius subscription radio in the Tesla. But you can stream programming, so that almost makes up for it.

To me, the EV haters are funny. If an EV doesn't work for you, don't buy one. Who gives a shit.

And BTW, the end of ICE personal vehicles that our addled President has decreed will never happen.

To me, the EV haters are funny. If an EV doesn't work for you, don't buy one. Who gives a shit.

And BTW, the end of ICE personal vehicles that our addled President has decreed will never happen.

The law does/will. It won't be a personal choice.

So what's your relationship/stance/circumstance with EV's?

The inconvenience of an EV is not for me so in 2035, I'll nearly be 70. So current thought process is to buy a newish secondhand ICE car or a new one just before new ICE sales are banned. Also, I wouldn't rule out a better technology than battery.

But I do have a niggly feeling 2035 is not achievable, but that's a separate discussion.

Hoping this thread stays on track with your relationship/stance/circumstances/plans towards EV's as opposed to EV fires etc..

Fine as a personal choice, just don't make it mandatory (something the left has a very dangerous and fascistic obsession with doing).

I think the safe disposal of the massive, toxic batteries they use is going to be a huge problem if their use becomes more widespread. Not to mention the exploitative slave labor used in Asia and Africa to mine the minerals used in the batteries.

The only thing that comes close is "I'll buy an EV in the future" ... but first I'll need to change my electric service ... which will require a substantial dismantling of the kitchen area ... the carriage house is long gone, and I'm not sure I'd be parking an expensive new EV in a carport (not in the old part of town) ... so add the cost of a new garage to house the EV and it's brand new charging system ...

Doing all that to code means an extra 10% to the purchase of the EV ... [shrugs shoulders] ... the Toyota Tacoma only fits one of my children at a time ... and that's by design ... mid-thirties living in my basement doesn't get you rides everyplace ...

My daughter in law has a hybrid. She only drives it to and from work. It doesn't take hills, is touchy in the rain and generally unreliable. Last breakdown, it was 5 months waiting for a part. What I see of EVs is that they are good for short hops close to home. Something that a golf cart can handle.

Like most middle-class American adults, I have more than one family vehicle. I also have a garage where it is convenient to install a 220V line to charge an EV, if necessary. I have the wherewithal to purchase a new vehicle from time to time.

Given all that, it was an easy choice to trade my wife's Beemer for a Tesla Model 3. We will do 90% of our driving in the Tesla because it is efficient, comfortable, and costs about a fifth as much, mile for mile, to operate. The fact that it loses about 35% of its theoretical range in very cold weather is irrelevant to me. I can still get almost 200 miles per charge, which is more than enough for any day of routine driving.

Oddly, the shortcoming that bothers me most isn't even mentioned by most critics: You can't have AM radio or Sirius subscription radio in the Tesla. But you can stream programming, so that almost makes up for it.

In several States after 2035 you won't be able to by anything else as a new vehicle.

It's not EV hate, it's government mandate hate.

My daughter in law has a hybrid. She only drives it to and from work. It doesn't take hills, is touchy in the rain and generally unreliable. Last breakdown, it was 5 months waiting for a part. What I see of EVs is that they are good for short hops close to home. Something that a golf cart can handle.

I was GPS'ed in a Prius on three-digit logging roads ... there's no granny gear but the Toyota made the hills just fine ... the owner uses it to commute between San Diego and Seattle ... did the DIL buy an American hybrid? ...

One doesn't spend $150,000 for an EV and expect reliability ... all you'll get is envy ... and the DIL would look hot in a Model S ... just write the check and watch her be happy ...

I was GPS'ed in a Prius on three-digit logging roads ... there's no granny gear but the Toyota made the hills just fine ... the owner uses it to commute between San Diego and Seattle ... did the DIL buy an American hybrid? ...

One doesn't spend $150,000 for an EV and expect reliability ... all you'll get is envy ... and the DIL would look hot in a Model S ... just write the check and watch her be happy ...
I'm not sure what kind it is. It is delicate.

Forum List

Back