• I'm going out (restaurant)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I'm working a soup kitchen

• No plans

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Watching Football & Drinking Beer

• Other (I always forget something obvious...)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
I,ll start by making my wife breakfast: Whole wheat blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, pomegranate/blueberry juice and coffee with a shot of Kahlua.

Lunch will be a simple grilled cheese sandwich with provolone and cheddar cheese, bacon and tomato slices. Some Claussen pickles and a handful of kettle-cooked potato chips completes the meal.

Dinner time will be grill time: Top round steak (I buy the whole top round and cut the steaks myself), grilled corn on the cob, and salad. My salad is something my family loves. I rub a large wooden bowl with cloves of garlic. Than I add:

Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh parsley
Diced red peppers
Shredded carrots
Green olives
Black olives
Chopped broccoli
Cubed cheddar cheese
Sliced strips of pepper jack cheese
Chopped cooked bacon

I put a mixture of greens including red leaf lettuce on a plate and top it with the ingredients listed above, ingredients I call “the fixings” then I line the plate with cherry tomatoes and top with garlic/Parmesan croutons.

For dessert: Homemade pumpkin pudding with whipped cream and chopped nuts.

The secret is too make more fixings than what you need and to grill more steaks than you intend for dinner. For lunch the next day, you put sliced grilled steak over the salad for a perfect lunch. The fixings are even better when they marinate overnight.

Although the menu may change on Thanksgiving day, nothing else does nor should it. If giving thanks is such a noble thing then it should be a daily thing. I understand the significance of a special yearly celebration, but if the spirit weakens, if the love fades, if the joy is crushed within a matter of hours or a few days the turkey and pies are all that really matter. It's not just about Thanksgiving. The Christmas spirit is real, and deep and powerful but unfortunately ends much too quickly. I ponder how much better the world would would be if the human heart refused to abandon or diminish – even for a moment - those wonderful feelings we get on those special days. Personally, I give thanks every day of my life, so the only difference Thanksgiving will bring is a menu change.

I,ll start by making my wife breakfast: Whole wheat blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, pomegranate/blueberry juice and coffee with a shot of Kahlua.

Lunch will be a simple grilled cheese sandwich with provolone and cheddar cheese, bacon and tomato slices. Some Claussen pickles and a handful of kettle-cooked potato chips completes the meal.

Dinner time will be grill time: Top round steak (I buy the whole top round and cut the steaks myself), grilled corn on the cob, and salad. My salad is something my family loves. I rub a large wooden bowl with cloves of garlic. Than I add:

Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh parsley
Diced red peppers
Shredded carrots
Green olives
Black olives
Chopped broccoli
Cubed cheddar cheese
Sliced strips of pepper jack cheese
Chopped cooked bacon

I put a mixture of greens including red leaf lettuce on a plate and top it with the ingredients listed above, ingredients I call “the fixings” then I line the plate with cherry tomatoes and top with garlic/Parmesan croutons.

For dessert: Homemade pumpkin pudding with whipped cream and chopped nuts.

The secret is too make more fixings than what you need and to grill more steaks than you intend for dinner. For lunch the next day, you put sliced grilled steak over the salad for a perfect lunch. The fixings are even better when they marinate overnight.

Although the menu may change on Thanksgiving day, nothing else does nor should it. If giving thanks is such a noble thing then it should be a daily thing. I understand the significance of a special yearly celebration, but if the spirit weakens, if the love fades, if the joy is crushed within a matter of hours or a few days the turkey and pies are all that really matter. It's not just about Thanksgiving. The Christmas spirit is real, and deep and powerful but unfortunately ends much too quickly. I ponder how much better the world would would be if the human heart refused to abandon or diminish – even for a moment - those wonderful feelings we get on those special days. Personally, I give thanks every day of my life, so the only difference Thanksgiving will bring is a menu change.

I guess I'll be the Professors for thanksgiving :lol:

I'll be working and cussing under my breath about the decay of quality family time because of all the idiots that go out to eat rather than stay home with their families. If there wasn't such a demand to be open maybe I could spend the holiday at home

No offense, horty, but I think that's an issue between you and your boss. I don't feel like I'm particularly obligated to stay home and cook if I don't care to just because you don't feel like working.

What's yours?

Favorite side dish?

Going to my Mom's house since we are having a Family Gift selection for Christmas

Favorite side dish is stuffin

My family can't agree on which stuffing is preferred. My husband prefers white bread stuffing - preferably the packaged kind (!) - and I prefer cornbread stuffing. For everyone to be happy, I end up having to make two kinds.

I refuse to be one of those women who turns every holiday into a nervous-breakdown-in-waiting by trying to make everything homemade and perfect. With that in mind, I decide on one or two things that really NEED to be done from scratch (and that I'm willing to do from scratch), and let the rest be storebought.

Roasting a turkey is pretty easy, once you know how, and it's not something I do more than two or three times a year, because who the hell can afford a whole turkey if it's not on a holiday sale? The secret is to roast it breast-side down for the first hour or so, so that the breast meat really soaks up the basting juices. Then flip it, wrap the wings and any other parts that are likely to cook too fast with tinfoil, and baste every twenty minutes until the thermometer says its done. Ta daaaa!!

For my money, mashed potatoes have to be homemade. My family will eat instant, but I'd rather lick the inside of the trashcan. Besides, they're incredibly easy. Peel 'em, chop 'em, boil 'em, add evaporated milk, butter, and poultry seasoning, and hit 'em with the hand mixer. I happen to like my mashed potatoes with chunks of potato still in 'em.

Cranberry sauce is another point of contention with Joe. He wants nothing - NO THING - other than the jellied stuff in the can. I don't have a problem with the jellied canned stuff, but I also like the whole-berry kind, and cranberry chutneys and such. Whether or not I have a second cranberry dish depends entirely on whether or not I feel like it.

Vegetables are usually very simple. Packaged green salad, steamed zucchini and summer squash, maybe a green bean casserole if I'm in the mood, but most likely just some steamed green beans with bacon and garlic.

Biscuits, breads, and rolls are 100% purchased from the bakery. It's not that I can't make bread from scratch, but I see no point. Ditto for the desserts. My local bakery makes some excellent pumpkin pies and peach cobbler, and I'm good with that.

Things I never eat on Turkey Day

1. Yams
2. Greens
3. Ham

Things I never eat on Turkey Day

1. Yams
2. Greens
3. Ham

I like ham and greens, although I love turkey so the ham is more likely to show up on Christmas. My whole family despises yams and sweet potatoes, so those never show up at my house.

What's yours?

Favorite side dish?

Going to my Mom's house since we are having a Family Gift selection for Christmas

My family can't agree on which stuffing is preferred. My husband prefers white bread stuffing - preferably the packaged kind (!) - and I prefer cornbread stuffing. For everyone to be happy, I end up having to make two kinds.

.... just don't put too much garlic in it! We had some one year (not mine!) that had a ton of garlic in it - it was inedible!

I'll be working and cussing under my breath about the decay of quality family time because of all the idiots that go out to eat rather than stay home with their families. If there wasn't such a demand to be open maybe I could spend the holiday at home

No offense, horty, but I think that's an issue between you and your boss. I don't feel like I'm particularly obligated to stay home and cook if I don't care to just because you don't feel like working.
I am "the boss"

The restaurant industry, or a large portion of it, has went 365 because of the hustle and bustle

Big picture? I love it and people.
I think I posted that during a graveyard shift :D

What's yours?

Favorite side dish?

.... just don't put too much garlic in it! We had some one year (not mine!) that had a ton of garlic in it - it was inedible!

I don't really use garlic as such. I use a pre-mixed poultry seasoning I have on hand, which has some garlic powder in it. Basically, I just whip up a cornbread, then crumble it up and mix it with a couple of beaten eggs, some of the turkey broth, poultry seasoning, green onions, celery, and chopped pecans. Spread it out in a pan and bake it until it's crispy around the edges.

I am "the boss"

The restaurant industry, or a large portion of it, has went 365 because of the hustle and bustle

Big picture? I love it and people.
I think I posted that during a graveyard shift :D

I don't see anything "non-family time" about eating in a restaurant on a holiday. As the mom and chief cook in my house, sometimes I want to have a holiday, too, instead of slaving away in the kitchen while everyone else relaxes. On those occasions, we go out instead. We make a point of tipping well, because hey, holiday.

Forum List

Back