Thanksgiving dinner support group

Well Thanks giving at mom's this year. I am going the night before to help. My brother, my son, and myself are all bachelor's this year. My brother and son are showing up night before. We will help pies the night before. We will all play uekre when that is done. I will probably due the taters and rolls day of, brother vegi tray, son Homemade MacnChease. Should take some stress off mom.

Hopefully you can delegate some of the work.

Well Thanks giving at mom's this year. I am going the night before to help. My brother, my son, and myself are all bachelor's this year. My brother and son are showing up night before. We will help pies the night before. We will all play uekre when that is done. I will probably due the taters and rolls day of, brother vegi tray, son Homemade MacnChease. Should take some stress off mom.

Hopefully you can delegate some of the work.

My job is always the make ahead mashed potato casserole and the snooty beer.

Good. I was wondering if you were maybe shunned for not being housebroken.
wife gets upset if I even mention anything political, and youngest daughter is a flaming liberal and a Hoplophobe.
Her sister is a non-Trump republican, like me, and has no problems with firearms.

when we get together, the topics are people they grew up with, classmates, etc. I wasn't raised in the area, so I sit and twiddle my thumb. (I'm too lazy to twiddle both at the same time).

i am the one in charge of the pasta. most years i make lasagna, but this time around- it will be ravioli.

That's Christmas or easter for us, depending on who's hosting.

Thanksgiving is traditional, with a ham added for the Irish people.

That's Christmas or easter for us, depending on who's hosting.

Thanksgiving is traditional, with a ham added for the Irish people.

every holiday there is pasta, except for the cookouts. then there's always grilled sausage. we use to have traditional roasted turkey, until one nephew bought a fryer. oh my god.

My job is always the make ahead mashed potato casserole and the snooty beer.
Ya taters typically my job also. My sister is the one responsible for snooty beer. Sometimes I will do the gravy also. Never been put on pie duty before. I can make apple and strawberry pie. Never tried a punkin pie. Might be interesting. I am thinking about getting the ice cream maker out. Maybe make some homemade ice-cream to bring. I have not made it in quite a while. Likely 5 years. When my kids were still at home we would make ice-cream just about every week end during the summer. I really miss that. Summer weekends were awesome when my kids were still at home. Just about every Saturday we would make big spread. My son was in a band that was really popular around Ohio State campus. His band was there every Saturday. They would all pitch in and help with the meal. Great meal, some live music and good people. Good times. Really miss those days.

wife gets upset if I even mention anything political, and youngest daughter is a flaming liberal and a Hoplophobe.
Her sister is a non-Trump republican, like me, and has no problems with firearms.

when we get together, the topics are people they grew up with, classmates, etc. I wasn't raised in the area, so I sit and twiddle my thumb. (I'm too lazy to twiddle both at the same time).
Well, you survived so far in a hostile environment by staying silent and twiddling your thumb. Keep up the good work

I want to do it. I want them all to come over and like it. Chinese food like in the "Christmas Story", the movie about that kid that almost shot his eye out.
In Los Angeles everything is closed but the Chinese restaurants. They are packed. It's like the Los Angeles tradition. I always got mine to go. Sometimes I would have to wait an hour.
My son and his wife can go. I will stay with the cats and watch the dog show.

i will be imbibing all those days - i have a large loud italian family & most of them are fox viewing trump voting (R)s ... one sister is a christian fundie, & the other has some issues as well - most times we don't talk politics, but sometimes it can get tense. i love them, but need the buzz sometimes so i don't strangle them :)
Yep. I assume you are like me and don't do much of actual cooking. I do the trip to attic to get down, unwrap and install the two extra leafs of the table, not used for the other 364 days of the year. PJ does most of the cooking, along with our daughter and PJ's sister. Thanksgiving Day, I mostly graze snack table and circulate unit time to carve the bird. This year, it looks like I'll be carving two birds, one for each end table. We do (or should I say overdo) a very traditional Thanksgiving meal, and as the reigning matriarch left alive, PJ has a lock on every facet of the feast, as she's been doing it for many years.

Well first - no, not everything has to be ready at the same time.
A turkey of that size should rest of a minimum of 30 minutes before cutting. 45 minutes even better.
That is a large window.
Mashed potatoes... you can leave the potatoes in the hot water for 15-20 minutes before they will start to waterlog. Another decent window.
Only dishes that start deteriating quickly you need to time well, like pasta. Other than that, they can sit in a closed pan for awhile and be perfectly fine.

Well first - no, not everything has to be ready at the same time.
A turkey of that size should rest of a minimum of 30 minutes before cutting. 45 minutes even better.
That is a large window.
Mashed potatoes... you can leave the potatoes in the hot water for 15-20 minutes before they will start to waterlog. Another decent window.
Only dishes that start deteriating quickly you need to time well, like pasta. Other than that, they can sit in a closed pan for awhile and be perfectly fine.

Certain things like bean casseroles, succotash and soups actually get better if you make them the day before and re-heat.

I hope Sal Monella visits Arlette's trailer. Arlette deserves to choke on a bone as well. :laughing0301:

I'm stressing out about Thanksgiving. I gotta cook this year and apparently I already screwed up. I got an 18 pound turkey for 10 people. So I get more meat, more pots, more stress. Should I smoke weed or not?

Smoke a joint and order pizza. If they don't like it, Cracker Barrel is open...

It's stressing me out that everything has to be ready at the same time
The night before you can make the potato salad, dinner salads, some kinds of desserts can also be made the night before. start the bird, boil the potatoes for the mashed, prep the pans you are making sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Gravy is last. Pan drippings from the bird. Stuffing is last. Rolls last...

I'm stressing out about Thanksgiving. I gotta cook this year and apparently I already screwed up. I got an 18 pound turkey for 10 people. So I get more meat, more pots, more stress. Should I smoke weed or not?
Go buy a cheap electric roaster from Wally World & cook a 5-6 lb turkey breast in it.

thanx for showing the class just how much of jack ass with no self control you are. :113:

For once I have to agree with Playtime....

FYI today was Chili cooking day for my annual Chili Sunday at my friends house. My chili is made with love, and by love I mean 9 strips of thick cut bacon for the fat to cook the vegetables in.

Forum List

Back