Texans, Could You Update Us?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
For the Texans participating on this board, could you inform us how the Dan Rather/CBS/Bush National Guard story is playing in your state, that hotbed of political activism? How are locals reacting to this story? Any truth to conjecture that Robin Rather could have been the person who provided CBS with the Texas contact(s) they needed for this story?

Adam's Apple said:
For the Texans participating on this board, could you inform us how the Dan Rather/CBS/Bush National Guard story is playing in your state, that hotbed of political activism? How are locals reacting to this story? Any truth to conjecture that Robin Rather could have been the person who provided CBS with the Texas contact(s) they needed for this story?

I can only speak for my area, but it's pretty quiet around here. Of course, the NBC affiliate has been the king of local news for years around here, and nobody pays that much attention to CBS anyway. There were a couple of Kerry people that popped up on a local message board when the story first broke, but for some reason they disappeared. Wonder why?

As far as people I've talked to personally, most have just blown the whole thing off. It's pretty heavily Democrat where I live, but it's also pretty heavily Pro-Bush. Bush Democrats, if you will. I have no idea about Robin Rather. I suppose it's possible.

Thanks. I thought this story might have the state pols up in arms. Glad to hear there's a lot of Bush Democrats down there. We have some Bush Democrats here too, but it is mostly because of some social issues (marriage, abortion, taxes, etc.). They are the old fashioned Democrats, like Zell Miller.

Adam's Apple said:

I live in Austin--liberal capital of Texas. The whole story is almost ignored on local news. I've gotta listen elsewhere to hear details. Ben Barnes has been known as whiny democrat for years and the guard story has been brought up so many times in the past that I don't think anyone gives damn. The dems are walking around with defeat in their eyes.

Adam's Apple said:
Thanks. I thought this story might have the state pols up in arms. Glad to hear there's a lot of Bush Democrats down there. We have some Bush Democrats here too, but it is mostly because of some social issues (marriage, abortion, taxes, etc.). They are the old fashioned Democrats, like Zell Miller.

I'd say that pretty much describes my area, but it's slowly starting to shift. Back in '88, Dukakis won my country by about 80 votes. Thing is, a lot of the older people who had been voting Democrat since FDR just voted Democrat because they have always voted Democrat.

Over the last ten years, I've noticed a growing support for Republican presidential candidates. The local offices are still predominately Democrat, but even that is now slowly changing.

I live in San Antonio and I haven't really heard that much on the local news. I also don't usually try to bring up anything about this because I don't really want to get into that with a lot of people who I have never had problems with and end up saying some things we'll both regret, so I don't know if the people are talking or not around here.

Forum List

Back