Tesla is now most valuable auto maker in US

The electric-car maker hit a market value of $50.84 billion on Monday, edging past GM (GM) at $50.79 billion.

Tesla loses money, and it sells a small fraction of the cars of its much older competitors. Tesla sold about 25,000 of its Model S and Model X cars in the first three months of the year, compared with 690,000 cars and trucks for GM and 617,000 for Ford in the United States alone.

Rebecca Lindland, executive analyst at Kelley Blue Book, says Tesla is being treated differently than other carmakers. "They're classified as a tech company," she told CNNMoney, "so they're not really held to the same standards."

She adds that while Wall Street focuses on more traditional criteria -- like profitability -- for established companies like Ford and GM, "Tesla kind of gets a free pass."

Idiot investors
Again , consider Tesla is not only a manufacturer but it is also in the energy distribution ( and to some extent production ) business.

That would be the Solar City part, they lease the solar panels and eventually they can buy back extra energy produced by panel owners.

Really? They are supposedly going to install a giant windfarm to power their battery facility up here in NV but I don't know of any power plants they own. Do tell.

That would be the Solar City branch, that sales the solar panels and bateries... why else construct the gigafactory ?

I was specifically referring to where you claim they create energy. I have seen no evidence of that.

1/2 a charge in 30 minutes isn't going to cut it for most people, but I assume they will figure out a way to drive that down.

I think most people don't drive more than 250 miles in a day, unless on vacation.

The problem is range is less than 250 miles if ancillary systems need to be used. Someone in Florida doesn't have to worry about the battery being drained due to the use of a heater, but someone in Wisconsin in February sure as hell has to. Without an ICE you lose that free heat, and have to rely on electric heat, which can dig into the battery life considerably.

The current Model S gets an estimated 337 to 350 miles on a charge. Yes, the cold weather and use of heat will cut that back a bit, but you should still be able to get 250 miles on a charge.

And as far as longer trips, it is still not a huge deal. We go to St Augustine (from Atlanta) every year for a long weekend. It is about 400 miles away and takes around 6 hours to get there in our Honda CRV. Getting 25 mpg, and with gas costing $2.38 a gal, we are spending $38.08 for the gas to get there. With a Tesla we would take 7 hrs to get there and spend nothing on fuel. When we got, we always stop at least once for gas and food. So the difference in travel time is less than you think, and the cost savings are more.

On the same trip in a vehicle that gets 20MPG, you spend $47.60 on fuel.

When gas costs $3.25 a gal, the trip (one way) will cost $52 for the 25mpg car and $65 for the 20mpg car.

I had a chance to drive a Model S last year, a very nice car. The performance was very good, and the fit and finish were far superior to the Roadster I had driven before. But, the range estimates they give are wildly optimistic. Figure you lose about 20% of the estimate right off the bat. That still leaves a useful range of 250 miles which for the normal person is fine for a couple of days driving. However, the cost for that is over what you would pay for a BMW M5.

That means you have a very small population of people who can afford to buy one as a SECOND car. Because it will ALWAYS be a second car.

Aren't all high end cars a niche market? And other than vacations, the Tesla will do fine as the daily driver.

Yes, but most families can afford one high end car. Very few can afford a second high end sedan. Especially when it is basically the same platform. You're not getting a second vehicle geared for a different task. You're getting a second sedan.

Yea just imagine 100 million electric cars plugged in at night with our 100 year electric grid, the black outs of California would be nothing compared to this.
Not only that - but remember that our bat-shit crazy friends on the left desperately want to shut down nuclear, coal, and fracking energy. So now we have 100 million automobiles desperately trying to charge over night off of solar and wind "power" :laugh:

Amazon didn't produce profits for many years. And now it is a retail powerhouse. Profits are not the main indicator in a company whose revenues double every two years.

For a manufacturer it sure as hell is. TESLA is to cars, what the various fraudulent gold mines on the Vancouver exchange, were gold mining.

Manufacturer? Yes , shure , they build car, but they are also in the energy distribution business.

Yeah, kind of like ENRON. How did that turn out again?
Or Pacific gas and Electric, Souther California Edison , Consolidated Edison... what is your point ?

PG&E, SCE, and Con Ed all CREATE energy. ENRON was a "distribution" company. So, once again I ask you, how did that turn out?

Well again, Tessla bought Solar City, so they have the whole vertical : production / leasing , distribution , point of sale.
Ther real long term business is not in the cars, but in the electricity people will pay to charge the batteries and of cours , the solar panels.
It is as cool as if GM owned Exxon.

For a manufacturer it sure as hell is. TESLA is to cars, what the various fraudulent gold mines on the Vancouver exchange, were gold mining.

Manufacturer? Yes , shure , they build car, but they are also in the energy distribution business.

Or Pacific gas and Electric, Souther California Edison , Consolidated Edison... what is your point ?

PG&E, SCE, and Con Ed all CREATE energy. ENRON was a "distribution" company. So, once again I ask you, how did that turn out?

Well again, Tessla bought Solar City, so they have the whole vertical : production / leasing , distribution , point of sale.
Ther real long term business is not in the cars, but in the electricity people will pay to charge the batteries and of cours , the solar panels.

Money losing car company buys money losing solar power company.
What could go wrong?

I think most people don't drive more than 250 miles in a day, unless on vacation.

The problem is range is less than 250 miles if ancillary systems need to be used. Someone in Florida doesn't have to worry about the battery being drained due to the use of a heater, but someone in Wisconsin in February sure as hell has to. Without an ICE you lose that free heat, and have to rely on electric heat, which can dig into the battery life considerably.

The current Model S gets an estimated 337 to 350 miles on a charge. Yes, the cold weather and use of heat will cut that back a bit, but you should still be able to get 250 miles on a charge.

And as far as longer trips, it is still not a huge deal. We go to St Augustine (from Atlanta) every year for a long weekend. It is about 400 miles away and takes around 6 hours to get there in our Honda CRV. Getting 25 mpg, and with gas costing $2.38 a gal, we are spending $38.08 for the gas to get there. With a Tesla we would take 7 hrs to get there and spend nothing on fuel. When we got, we always stop at least once for gas and food. So the difference in travel time is less than you think, and the cost savings are more.

When gas costs $3.25 a gal, the trip (one way) will cost $52 for the 25mpg car and $65 for the 20mpg car.

I had a chance to drive a Model S last year, a very nice car. The performance was very good, and the fit and finish were far superior to the Roadster I had driven before. But, the range estimates they give are wildly optimistic. Figure you lose about 20% of the estimate right off the bat. That still leaves a useful range of 250 miles which for the normal person is fine for a couple of days driving. However, the cost for that is over what you would pay for a BMW M5.

That means you have a very small population of people who can afford to buy one as a SECOND car. Because it will ALWAYS be a second car.

Aren't all high end cars a niche market? And other than vacations, the Tesla will do fine as the daily driver.

Yes, but most families can afford one high end car. Very few can afford a second high end sedan. Especially when it is basically the same platform. You're not getting a second vehicle geared for a different task. You're getting a second sedan.

Having a Tesla as the one high end car makes good sense.

If all you ever do is put around town I would agree with you. What do you do for the family outings? Or going off to visit the family? Rent a car?

If all you ever do is put around town I would agree with you. What do you do for the family outings? Or going off to visit the family? Rent a car?

Unless you are going more than 100 miles away, the Tesla will be fine for family outings. It will work for other trips too, if you plan and are willing to allow a little more driving time. When my kids were small, we stopped every 100 miles just for a break.

You said most families can only afford one high end car. I took that to mean one high end car and another car that is not high end. That car would probably do fine for whatever trips you take. I mean, how often do you take trips?

I live in Atlanta and my family still lives in Tuscaloosa AL. That is 200 miles. And easy trip in the Tesla.

not really since GM has the lead in terms of range right now and since solar panels can be owned by everyone whereas Exxon's oil cant be.

Unless you are going more than 100 miles away, the Tesla will be fine for family outings. It will work for other trips too, if you plan and are willing to allow a little more driving time. When my kids were small, we stopped every 100 miles just for a break.

You said most families can only afford one high end car. I took that to mean one high end car and another car that is not high end. That car would probably do fine for whatever trips you take. I mean, how often do you take trips?

I live in Atlanta and my family still lives in Tuscaloosa AL. That is 200 miles. And easy trip in the Tesla.

It depends on where you are. A family outing for us is around 250 miles, one way. We take a lot of them. We live near Lake Tahoe and we travel to the Bay Area almost every other week for events for my daughter. In the eastern US, because the distances are close I think a Tesla can work. Out here in the west, not so much.

Tesla just became the most valuable carmaker in America

Some people are dragged into the future and some people drag all of humanity forward. Elon Musk has a gigantic rope and is pulling the world into the 22nd century.

Tesla was founded in 2003 and has already overtaken GM in the US and is close to overtaking Honda in the world. Next on to Toyota.
Huh. Never heard of them. Up here everyone is driving a Subaru or a Ford truck.

You've never heard of Tesla? Turn the rabbit ear antennae 90 degrees to the west. By the way I have an old tv in the garage that uses those old style rabbit ears after everything went digital in 2009. It looks just like the whole tv experience looked when I was a kid visiting my grandfather. He actually had a rabbit ears that would rotate with the push of a button to get best reception on whatever channel you wanted to watch.

This car company was founded in 2003 and has already overtaken GM. Note.
Not exactly being truthful are you? YOUR link states ELECTRIC cars NOT car makers in general.

Some people are dragged into the future and some people drag all of humanity forward. Elon Musk has a gigantic rope and is pulling the world into the 22nd century.

Tesla was founded in 2003 and has already overtaken GM in the US and is close to overtaking Honda in the world. Next on to Toyota.

You've never heard of Tesla? Turn the rabbit ear antennae 90 degrees to the west. By the way I have an old tv in the garage that uses those old style rabbit ears after everything went digital in 2009. It looks just like the whole tv experience looked when I was a kid visiting my grandfather. He actually had a rabbit ears that would rotate with the push of a button to get best reception on whatever channel you wanted to watch.

Not exactly being truthful are you? YOUR link states ELECTRIC cars NOT car makers in general.

You having a tough time today Barney Fife. The article is about the Tesla auto manufacturing. That they are 'viewed' as a technology company AS WELL is only GOOD for them. They are diversified and vertical.

Would it be easier if people just posted links so you wouldn't have a spasm?

You like your horse and buggy and your candles. Have at it Mae West. Don't forget your boarding pass for the river paddle-boat as well.

You having a tough time today Barney Fife. The article is about the Tesla auto manufacturing. That they are 'viewed' as a technology company AS WELL is only GOOD for them. They are diversified and vertical.

Would it be easier if people just posted links so you wouldn't have a spasm?

You like your horse and buggy and your candles. Have at it Mae West. Don't forget your boarding pass for the river paddle-boat as well.

woods-electric-car.jpg

The range has yet to change much, you could drive a 100 miles in a electric car 120 plus years ago

Fritchle-victoria-phaeton-Ad.jpg

I see no reason why the major car companies wont bury Tesla in the long run.They are certainly being pushed around by Tesla at the moment. This will probably be Tesla's legacy.

I see no reason why the major car companies wont bury Tesla in the long run.They are certainly being pushed around by Tesla at the moment. This will probably be Tesla's legacy.

How are they being "pushed around"?

How are they being "pushed around"?

I seriously doubt that without Tesla's huge success so far they would be so committed to electric cars

Forum List

Back