Terrorism is not a threat to our survival.

rtwngAvngr said:
"to a certain degree"(Ya nice1)

You're quote doesn't mean "we should pretend terrorism is fun"

I can understand why you would see this quote differently from me.. Its not an eternal war to you.

But, as jefferson says, paraphrasing here: its less costly to obtain the goal of the war by peaceful means. and "The most successful war seldom pays for its losses."
This whole war thing is just not good idea.

-EDIT-
We can obtain the goal of the war easier and with less cost.

xen said:
I can understand why you would see this quote differently from me.. Its not an eternal war to you.

But, as jefferson says, paraphrasing here: its less costly to obtain the goal of the war by peaceful means. and "The most successful war seldom pays for its losses."

-EDIT-

How?

Please re-directed me if you've already stated this, I'm jumping in late.

xen said:

-EDIT-

If peaceful means have been exahausted yes. We dicked around for years with saddam and his antics.

Said1 said:
How?

Please re-directed me if you've already stated this, I'm jumping in late.

Capturing terrorists does not have anything to do with having a warfront.
After finding out where the al qaeda leaders are with good intel, and lots of pressure on mideast countries, special forces can go anywhere in the world and capture the bandits. After 9/11 even the citizens of Iran were holding candlelight vigils. They would help us EASY, Saddam was their worst enemy.

rtwngAvngr said:
If peaceful means have been exahausted yes. We dicked around for years with saddam and his antics.
This is where you and I have different opinions.

xen said:
Capturing terrorists does not have anything to do with having a warfront.
After finding out where the al qaeda leaders are with good intel, and lots of pressure on mideast countries, special forces can go anywhere in the world and capture the bandits. After 9/11 even the citizens of Iran were holding candlelight vigils. They would help us EASY, Saddam was their worst enemy.

Isn't that what they're doing now?

xen said:
This is where you and I have different opinions.

No. I think you don't really understand the facts. Saddam had many opportunities to come clean, he really thought the world would do nothing, and that's what the europeans wanted to do: nothing. Like you, a do-nothing.

rtwngAvngr said:
No. I think you don't really understand the facts. Saddam had many opportunities to come clean, he really thought the world would do nothing, and that's what the europeans wanted to do: nothing. Like you, a do-nothing.
You did nothing when our admin pulled out the inspectors early, that was annoying.
saddam was a pussy anyway! he didnt have NOTHIN on us. no threat, or terrorist haven, he was secular(enemy of wahabist).

Said1 said:
Isn't that what they're doing now?
No

I'll tell ya Xen, your skill with quoting is excellent.

I mean, the quotes you actually use aren't really relevant nor do they prove your point, but that whole copy and paste function? You're golden.

Alright, all compliments aside, are you going to address the threat of biological weapons, Jefferson's response to attacks in his own age, or the fact that we are and have been at a state of war with terrorist elements of the Middle East for a quarter century now, or should I just stop checking on this thread?

Let me guess your response:

No instance exists of a person's writing two languages perfectly. That will always appear to be his native language which was most familiar to him in his youth.
~Thomas Jefferson

Is that suitably irrelevant?

Zhukov said:
Maybe you'll like this one:

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.

Actually this is one of my favorite...jefferson thought that the best way to defend a country was NOT to have a professional army, but to have everyman called to arms when we are invaded...having pro army leaves possibility of military takeover and the like.

But sorry dude i gotta goto work.

xen said:
Actually this is one of my favorite...jefferson thought that the best way to defend a country was NOT to have a professional army, but to have everyman called to arms when we are invaded...having pro army leaves possibility of military takeover and the like.

But sorry dude i gotta goto work.

Actually, he refers to the Greeks and Romans, who did have professional armies. You had to serve 1 tour in the army to retain citizenship. If you liked it, you could make a career out of it. If you didn't like it, you were put in sort of a "National Guard" capacity until you were too old to be an effective soldier.

Hobbit said:
Actually, he refers to the Greeks and Romans, who did have professional armies. You had to serve 1 tour in the army to retain citizenship. If you liked it, you could make a career out of it. If you didn't like it, you were put in sort of a "National Guard" capacity until you were too old to be an effective soldier.

actually he didnt give us the whole quote.

"The Greeks and Romans had no standing armies, yet they defended themselves. The Greeks by their laws, and the Romans by the spirit of their people, took care to put into the hands of their rulers no such engine of oppression as a standing army. Their system was to make every man a soldier and oblige him to repair to the standard of his country whenever that was reared. This made them invincible; and the same remedy will make us so."--Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, 1814

heres more

"There are instruments so dangerous to the rights of the nation and which place them so totally at the mercy of their governors that those governors, whether legislative or executive, should be restrained from keeping such instruments on foot but in well-defined cases. Such an instrument is a standing army."--Thomas Jefferson
"There shall be no standing army but in time of actual war." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

standing army n. - A permanent army maintained in time of peace and war.

Forum List

Back