Term Limits

Term limits are advocated by those who can't get elected otherwise

I'm not trying to be elected. Term limits are advocated by those tired of crony politics and supported by those who turn a blind eye to the obvious misappropriation of offices holding the civil trust enacted by these 'career politicians'.

You cannot get your cronys elected unless you block senior congressmen from running

Got it

I'm not trying to be elected. Term limits are advocated by those tired of crony politics and supported by those who turn a blind eye to the obvious misappropriation of offices holding the civil trust enacted by these 'career politicians'.

You cannot get your cronys elected unless you block senior congressmen from running

Got it

You don't even know who I'd vote for. Or if is even vote. Wild accusations based on nothing. I'm sorry if I'd rather see fresh faves who wish to serve the public instead of seasoned veterans that work the system to achieve their selfish goals.

Got it

You don't even know who I'd vote for. Or if is even vote. Wild accusations based on nothing. I'm sorry if I'd rather see fresh faves who wish to serve the public instead of seasoned veterans that work the system to achieve their selfish goals.

What would make you think the new guys are not selfish? With a term limit they are more easily corrupt able. Get your money while the getting is good and line up future employment

Got it

What would make you think the new guys are not selfish? With a term limit they are more easily corrupt able. Get your money while the getting is good and line up future employment

You raise a valid point. It's hard to argue that men aren't corruptible.

If we placed term limits on congressman and made every financial activity of elected officials in the spot light then I think they would be held more accountable. Obama promised a transparent government. He even worked with a Republican on a theoretical 'google for government'. Yet that hasn't happened. Anything done in the public's name should be viewed by the public. Then you would see less crony politics.

Congress already has Term Limits

2 years for Congressmen and 6 years for Senators

After that they have to start all over

Correct.

And the people also have a fundamental right to be represented by whomever they wish, for as long as they wish.

Those aren't term limits. Those are term time frames. If you really succeed at politics then hold different offices. A politician that has the experience of all the branches would serve as a much better president.

Term limits might have its draw backs, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

We also need term limits for doctors and teachers and the guy who fixes my car

After ten years get them out of there and get some new blood

Last edited:
We also need term limits for doctors and teachers

After ten years get them out of there and get some new blood

Deflection is a common tool to avoid the topic at hand.

I think after ten years teachers have worn out their welcome. They get complacent. Fire them and bring in young inexperienced teachers

I only sense sarcasm from your remarks. Doctors and teachers are professions.

Political office is a public trust. The dynamics of public office are entirely different. I show you apples and you shout throw away the oranges!

If one is tired of ‘crony politics’ then he needs to work at the very local level to realize actual change; not advocate for simplistic top down ‘solutions’ such as term limits.

If one is tired of ‘crony politics’ then he needs to work at the very local level to realize actual change; not advocate for simplistic top down ‘solutions’ such as term limits.

I am currently unable to engage in such activities. Your point is valid. However, if it seems like I want top down changes then that is because I have not had ample opportunity to lay out a grand theoretical political layout.

There should not be a term limit on the president, if Congress has none, look at the Supreme Court justices, they have no term limit either-'cept death.

The supreme court justices were given lifetime appointments to shield them (ideally) from political influence. IMHO, no congressman or senator should be in Washington for more than 8 years, just like the president.

Congress already has Term Limits

2 years for Congressmen and 6 years for Senators

After that they have to start all over

Correct.

And the people also have a fundamental right to be represented by whomever they wish, for as long as they wish.

Those aren't term limits. Those are term time frames. If you really succeed at politics then hold different offices. A politician that has the experience of all the branches would serve as a much better president.

They are indeed term limits, where the people limit the term of a given incumbent at the ballot box.

And as long as the people refuse to get involved at the very local level, special interests will continue to control the political process, with or without term limits.

Correct.

They are indeed term limits, where the people limit the term of a given incumbent at the ballot box.

And as long as the people refuse to get involved at the very local level, special interests will continue to control the political process, with or without term limits.

Two terms for one office for one lifetime. That's a term limit. Not miss an election year and come back a few years later.

Some jobs prevent people from becoming involved at the local level. But I'm still not disagreeing with your point.

Deflection is a common tool to avoid the topic at hand.

I think after ten years teachers have worn out their welcome. They get complacent. Fire them and bring in young inexperienced teachers

Political office is a public trust. The dynamics of public office are entirely different. I show you apples and you shout throw away the oranges!

I know what you mean. Any bum off the street is capable of coming in and running our country. Experience doesn't mean anything.

I know what you mean. Any bum off the street is capable of coming in and running our country. Experience doesn't mean anything.

Any bum off the street who lays out a political ideology gathers supporters and funds to send out their message and gather votes. Yes. Any bum off the street. Any bum off any street for that matter.

Any bum off the street who lays out a political ideology gathers supporters and funds to send out their message and gather votes. Yes. Any bum off the street. Any bum off any street for that matter.

Being a Senator takes no skill. Why should experience mean anything?

Could not agree with you more. If you go back and take a look from one administration to the other over the last 40 yrs or so you will see a lot of the same faces. Term limits would be a great 1st step in rebuilding this republic.

No it wouldn't

We would have an idiotic group of first termers with nothing to lose. What do I care? I'm out of here in two years....What's in it for me?

Oh, I get it. Like Nancy Pelosi.

The supreme court justices were given lifetime appointments to shield them (ideally) from political influence. IMHO, no congressman or senator should be in Washington for more than 8 years, just like the president.

I think this would result in even more corruption and less transparency.

Forum List

Back