Term Limits

I live in California. It's a liberal state. Your attempts to insult intelligence are feeble and give you no credibility for your words. Having an adult discussion is much more preferable to this theatrical pillar of intelligence you seem to place yourself on.

On so many issues...oh wait, didn't California voters pass Prop 8?

:lol::lol::lol:

screw you fool

try doing your homework before you start pretending you can post with adults

You mean the proposition 8 that everyone is still fighting about? The one that is constantly challenged by courts?

You're a perfect example of why this country is divided. It's difficult to remain civil when you speak such as you do. Tiny points that are so meaningless and obviously incorrect and then you attempt to degrade the view of others with sarcasm. I am posting with adults. You just aren't acting like one.

There's an old saying that might help:

"Suicide is a viable option for some people." Now how do you think that applies to adults?

I know what you mean. Any bum off the street is capable of coming in and running our country. Experience doesn't mean anything.

Any bum off the street who lays out a political ideology gathers supporters and funds to send out their message and gather votes. Yes. Any bum off the street. Any bum off any street for that matter.

Being a Senator takes no skill. Why should experience mean anything?

So your argument is no new Senators ever? Eternal life for the guys who have four years experience as Senator?

On so many issues...oh wait, didn't California voters pass Prop 8?

:lol::lol::lol:

screw you fool

try doing your homework before you start pretending you can post with adults

You mean the proposition 8 that everyone is still fighting about? The one that is constantly challenged by courts?

You're a perfect example of why this country is divided. It's difficult to remain civil when you speak such as you do. Tiny points that are so meaningless and obviously incorrect and then you attempt to degrade the view of others with sarcasm. I am posting with adults. You just aren't acting like one.

There's an old saying that might help:

"Suicide is a viable option for some people." Now how do you think that applies to adults?

It applies to adults in the same way as "turn the other cheek". If you wish to bring people down to a level of baseless arguments and childish retorts have fun. The adults are talking.

Any bum off the street who lays out a political ideology gathers supporters and funds to send out their message and gather votes. Yes. Any bum off the street. Any bum off any street for that matter.

So your argument is no new Senators ever? Eternal life for the guys who have four years experience as Senator?

No, my argument is that being a Senator takes quite a bit of skill and knowledge and that those skills should not be discarded for an arbitrary term limit

No, my argument is that being a Senator takes quite a bit of skill and knowledge and that those skills should not be discarded for an arbitrary term limit

Negotiating and raising new ideas should not be limited to the skills of so few with so many capable people out here. There are more than three hundred people who can efficiently (or inefficiently) help run a government.

The supreme court justices were given lifetime appointments to shield them (ideally) from political influence. IMHO, no congressman or senator should be in Washington for more than 8 years, just like the president.

I think this would result in even more corruption and less transparency.

how exactly?, they wouldn't be bought and paid for by special interest groups or corporations. All the career politicians up there now are.

SKILL??? What skills? Did John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington have them prior to being in office?

SKILL??? What skills? Did John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington have them prior to being in office?

In truth, all were highly educated & enlightened men during the Revolution. I will not go into their exploits as those are readily apparent. However, that being said, all those skills & knowledge that rw states is essential is a bogus argument. The skill involved revolves around how well these "peoples representatives" have been corrupted by the system. We most certainly need term limits to ensure that the peoples business is being done & not at the mercy of two morally & ethically bankrupt political machines. The original intent was never for a permanent ruling class, but rather a term of service after which those chosen would return to normal life. Give me a healthy turnover in Congress about every two years & watch how the swamp is drained of the corruption. Give each House member one 6 year term on a rotating basis so that every 2 years, 1/3 of the House is replaced by new members. For the Senate, return that power to the States to decide as was originally intended. They two are restricted to one 6 year term also on a rotating basis so that every 2 years, 1/3 of the Senate is infused with new blood.

The supreme court justices were given lifetime appointments to shield them (ideally) from political influence. IMHO, no congressman or senator should be in Washington for more than 8 years, just like the president.

I think this would result in even more corruption and less transparency.

how exactly?, they wouldn't be bought and paid for by special interest groups or corporations. All the career politicians up there now are.

If you put people in close proximity to a goose that lays golden eggs and you then tell them that they won't be there for very long I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to act in an altruistic manner, what is far more likely is that one hell of a lot of golden eggs are going to come up missing in a very short time.

Yes they did. They were some of the wealthiest and well educated in the country. They had also participated in the Continental Congress

Those aren't term limits. Those are term time frames. If you really succeed at politics then hold different offices. A politician that has the experience of all the branches would serve as a much better president.

Term limits might have its draw backs, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

They are indeed term limits, where the people limit the term of a given incumbent at the ballot box.

And as long as the people refuse to get involved at the very local level, special interests will continue to control the political process, with or without term limits.

Two terms for one office for one lifetime. That's a term limit. Not miss an election year and come back a few years later.

Some jobs prevent people from becoming involved at the local level. But I'm still not disagreeing with your point.

There are other ways to become involved that don’t always require one’s physical presence.

And that one is unable to participate at the local level doesn’t justify the implementation of term limits, nor doe it mitigate the fact term limits are indeed no solution.

Realizing actual political change will require hard work, sacrifice, and the time of the people; there is no quick fix.

In truth, all were highly educated & enlightened men during the Revolution. I will not go into their exploits as those are readily apparent. However, that being said, all those skills & knowledge that rw states is essential is a bogus argument. The skill involved revolves around how well these "peoples representatives" have been corrupted by the system. We most certainly need term limits to ensure that the peoples business is being done & not at the mercy of two morally & ethically bankrupt political machines. The original intent was never for a permanent ruling class, but rather a term of service after which those chosen would return to normal life. Give me a healthy turnover in Congress about every two years & watch how the swamp is drained of the corruption. Give each House member one 6 year term on a rotating basis so that every 2 years, 1/3 of the House is replaced by new members. For the Senate, return that power to the States to decide as was originally intended. They two are restricted to one 6 year term also on a rotating basis so that every 2 years, 1/3 of the Senate is infused with new blood.

Repealing the 17th Amendment is the epitome of cronyism.

And term limits would undermine the right of the people to be represented by whomever they wish for how long they wish; special interests and political insiders would continue to control the House and Senate, with no ‘new blood’ in Congress.

Special interests, political insiders, and the two major parties would continue to control the political process at the state and local levels concerning Congressional elections, where they would adapt to term limits and continue to send elected officials who represent only those special interests, not the interests of the people as a whole.

It is consequently foolish and naïve to believe term limits would realize the desired change in Congress.

They are indeed term limits, where the people limit the term of a given incumbent at the ballot box.

And as long as the people refuse to get involved at the very local level, special interests will continue to control the political process, with or without term limits.

Two terms for one office for one lifetime. That's a term limit. Not miss an election year and come back a few years later.

Some jobs prevent people from becoming involved at the local level. But I'm still not disagreeing with your point.

There are other ways to become involved that don’t always require one’s physical presence.

And that one is unable to participate at the local level doesn’t justify the implementation of term limits, nor doe it mitigate the fact term limits are indeed no solution.

Realizing actual political change will require hard work, sacrifice, and the time of the people; there is no quick fix.

My personal involvement limits notwithstanding have no bearing on this current topic at all.

Term limits would ensure that people achieve what goals they have in he time they're allowed to achieve them. Put a timer on something and the job will get done. "Good enough for government work" is a saying for a reason. Nothing gets do e because they have forever to get things done.

Local governments by and large aren't even a problem. Super PACS aren't throwing millions into your city council meeting or mayoral election.

Yes they did. They were some of the wealthiest and well educated in the country. They had also participated in the Continental Congress

Well, we can still say we have some of the wealthiest and best educated up there now and look at the freaking mess they've got us in! Failed policies, programs, budget, etc...... So again, what skills are your talking about?

Well, we can still say we have some of the wealthiest and best educated up there now and look at the freaking mess they've got us in! Failed policies, programs, budget, etc...... So again, what skills are your talking about?

More skills and knowledge of Congressional rules and procedures than those you seek to replace them with

If you want an example of the negative impact of a "throw the bums out" mentality........just look at the antics of our TeaTards

Repealing the 17th Amendment is the epitome of cronyism.

And term limits would undermine the right of the people to be represented by whomever they wish for how long they wish; special interests and political insiders would continue to control the House and Senate, with no ‘new blood’ in Congress.

Special interests, political insiders, and the two major parties would continue to control the political process at the state and local levels concerning Congressional elections, where they would adapt to term limits and continue to send elected officials who represent only those special interests, not the interests of the people as a whole.

It is consequently foolish and naïve to believe term limits would realize the desired change in Congress.

we do it for the Executive branch....

More skills and knowledge of Congressional rules and procedures than those you seek to replace them with

If you want an example of the negative impact of a "throw the bums out" mentality........just look at the antics of our TeaTards

I'll take someone with a lot of common sense over someone that has "knowledge of congressional rules and procedures" Rules and procedures can be learned, and just because you know procedures doesn't mean you can make smart decisions.

But you still haven't answered the question of what skills?

Roberts Rules are easy to learn.

I'll take someone with a lot of common sense over someone that has "knowledge of congressional rules and procedures" Rules and procedures can be learned, and just because you know procedures doesn't mean you can make smart decisions.

Republican motto: We may not have much "book learn'n" but we gots common sense

you would? thank gawd more people like you do not vote:mad:

Forum List

Back