Term Limits

ShawnChris13

Nov 12, 2013
Term limits need to be imposed on members of congress. Career politicians are destroying this country, and no matter how you slice it term limits would vastly improve congress. Family dynasties should not be a possibility, and it's what we steered ourselves from during the revolutionary war. Instead of one family ruling we have several families forming a ruling class.

Congress already has Term Limits

2 years for Congressmen and 6 years for Senators

After that they have to start all over

What about the "two-termers", three, four, five-termers?

If you don't want to vote for someone after a certain number of terms.....don't do it

Don't tell me I can't vote for a representative who is doing a good job because of an arbitrary criteria

Term limits are for losers who can't win elections

If I want someone to represent me in Congress I should be able to have that person represent me if they want to and can win the election.

There should not be a term limit on the president, if Congress has none, look at the Supreme Court justices, they have no term limit either-'cept death.

If the voters do not think a Congressman is doing a good job, they vote them out

Happens all the time

That is their term limit

Term limits exist. We can vote them out of office. It's our fault we keep sending the same brain-dead idiots back to govern us.

Could not agree with you more. If you go back and take a look from one administration to the other over the last 40 yrs or so you will see a lot of the same faces. Term limits would be a great 1st step in rebuilding this republic.

Could not agree with you more. If you go back and take a look from one administration to the other over the last 40 yrs or so you will see a lot of the same faces. Term limits would be a great 1st step in rebuilding this republic.

For all you youguns, the attempt to force term limits already happened, at state levels it was okayed, at the fed level it was ruled unconstitutional.

The unconstitutional argument could be applied to the president. It was only enacted after FDR. Term limits are necessary to keep the same figures from winning. If you agree with the same guy representing your district for 40 years that's because you're his supporter. You're not supporting the voice of your district. If you want the same party in charge you should vote for new members of your party. Supporting no term limits advances the interests of families like the Kennedy's.

No it wouldn't

We would have an idiotic group of first termers with nothing to lose. What do I care? I'm out of here in two years....What's in it for me?

The unconstitutional argument could be applied to the president. It was only enacted after FDR. Term limits are necessary to keep the same figures from winning. If you agree with the same guy representing your district for 40 years that's because you're his supporter. You're not supporting the voice of your district. If you want the same party in charge you should vote for new members of your party. Supporting no term limits advances the interests of families like the Kennedy's.

Please name one candidate...just one...in the history of this country who supported his district, everyone in his district, with ideology not entering the picture at all.

You pointed out earlier that the Revolution was fought so we could get away from family dynasties, it was actually taxation without representation but let's go with your interpretation, I assume you mean that families without popular support shouldn't be able to impose themselves on the people. Then you make the argument that people who can garner large amounts of support from the people over a long period of time shouldn't be able to serve those people in public office. Your take on this seems to me to be inconsistent.

The Presidential term limits was by Amendment to the Constitution. The only way you will get Congressional Term limits is by Amendment to the Constitution. Since it takes an act of both houses of Congress to initiate an amendment care to guess when THAT will happen?

As to my personal opinion? It is directly foreign to the entire premise of our Government to enforce term limits.

Please name one candidate...just one...in the history of this country who supported his district, everyone in his district, with ideology not entering the picture at all.

You pointed out earlier that the Revolution was fought so we could get away from family dynasties, it was actually taxation without representation but let's go with your interpretation, I assume you mean that families without popular support shouldn't be able to impose themselves on the people. Then you make the argument that people who can garner large amounts of support from the people over a long period of time shouldn't be able to serve those people in public office. Your take on this seems to me to be inconsistent.

I would respond to your first point but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

To say that taxation without representation was what they fought against then it was a very narrow revolution. I apologize if I made it seem like there was one issue. If I had to sum it up it would be tyranny. To be ruled by one family's whims, or even the updated version of several families working together as a whole, is ridiculous. I advocate term limits on the ruling class because that's what needs to happen to get rid of a ruling class that exists today. If you make over 40k you will not receive help with your health insurance. Yet congressman who make 174,000 a year get 75% of their federal premium paid. With tax dollars. Tell me how your representative was looking out for you by doing that.

I was responding to the point you made about representatives not representing the voice of their districts. Districts are made up of thousands of people who have very different views, no one can truly represent the voice of their district because there really isn't one except for some individual issues which everyone might agree upon, immigration for example.

To say that taxation without representation was what they fought against then it was a very narrow revolution. I apologize if I made it seem like there was one issue. If I had to sum it up it would be tyranny. To be ruled by one family's whims, or even the updated version of several families working together as a whole, is ridiculous. I advocate term limits on the ruling class because that's what needs to happen to get rid of a ruling class that exists today. If you make over 40k you will not receive help with your health insurance. Yet congressman who make 174,000 a year get 75% of their federal premium paid. With tax dollars. Tell me how your representative was looking out for you by doing that.

I can't defend Congress when it comes to the perks they've voted themselves but if I'm not happy with someone's performance then I won't vote for them, that's term limits in action.

I was responding to the point you made about representatives not representing the voice of their districts. Districts are made up of thousands of people who have very different views, no one can truly represent the voice of their district because there really isn't one except for some individual issues which everyone might agree upon, immigration for example.

I can't defend Congress when it comes to the perks they've voted themselves but if I'm not happy with someone's performance then I won't vote for them, that's term limits in action.

Then I cannot, obviously show one candidate who speaks for their entire district. But then again look at how districts are drawn out. District lines are consistently drawn to favor the current representative in office. They claim this is to ensure that like voters are heard. What they mean is they don't want to be voter out of office.

People don't fully understand the perks congress gives themselves. This is because it's not on CNN. And trust me they get plenty. Thousands of dollars of tax payer money was sent to Reagand funeral on behalf on ONE representative. Thousands more each year for fresh flo

Then I cannot, obviously show one candidate who speaks for their entire district. But then again look at how districts are drawn out. District lines are consistently drawn to favor the current representative in office. They claim this is to ensure that like voters are heard. What they mean is they don't want to be voter out of office.

People don't fully understand the perks congress gives themselves. This is because it's not on CNN. And trust me they get plenty. Thousands of dollars of tax payer money was sent to Reagand funeral on behalf on ONE representative. Thousands more each year for fresh flo

Flowers. Sorry. These practices should be stopped and people that constantly get away with it will not.

Forum List

Back