Term Limits in Congress Are Required to Save the Union

Term limits are not the problem and an excuse to allow people to be lazy. It’s getting the public to wake the fuck up and stop sending back the same people creating the problems to fix them That needs to happen.
1699297927241.png

Nothing will fix the human condition as we are all terminal and as all our endeavors ultimately fail, but there are things we can do to perhaps buy us more time and make the world a little better place in the interim.

Be careful what you wish for. Term limits for politicians is based on an assumption that citizens aren't smart enough to engage in the process. Americans have a Constitutional right to keep a member of congress who best represents their values.
no one should virtually be guaranteed to be elected (just because he once was elected). And if someone promises (this/that) and does not deliver, term limits give the voters another go of it

Because DC is so corrupted by money they just buy elections. Once in, it is extremely rare for any Congresscritter to ever lose another election.

Job approval of Congress: 17%
Reelection rate of Congress: 96%

If that doesn’t make you understand that we need term limits now, then you’re the reason they have instructions on shampoo bottles.

Personally, I'm not big on term limits. It just means we will have new names but they will still be all R's and D's. And, knowing they will only be in office for a short time just means they know they have to get as much stealing in during the short time they are in office.

Personally, I'm not big on term limits. It just means we will have new names but they will still be all R's and D's. And, knowing they will only be in office for a short time just means they know they have to get as much stealing in during the short time they are in office.

Maybe. But I don't like the inference that the Rs are as bad as the Ds. Some are, but a lot of Rs are sincere about cleaning up govt.

I don't like talking bad about the only party that even considers such.. while the dims.. Sheez, where to begin? They have NO morals or ethics. Once you decide that murdering a helpless unborn child is OK...

(well, you know the rest)

Term limits violate the constitution and are not what the founders wanted.

Any other constitutional rights you want to take away?
so it's unconstitutional for the president to have only 2 terms?

psst.....I'm laughing at you.

Because term limits don't stop people from running for reelection, until their last term.

So, here is an odd way I’d like things to work under the concept, we don't have a term limits problem, we have an incumbency problem. Now bear with me here.

#1 No elected official in the Congress or the President is eligible for election in any other Federal elected position until at least 1 year has passed from the end of their current or 1 year after leaving their current federally elected position through retirement, resignation, or expulsion.

#2 No elected official may campaign or raise campaign funds while holding any federally elected office.
There would be no term limits on Presidents or members of Congress, however no individual may serve consecutive terms in any federal elected position even if the positions are different.

That means the President and members of Congress must leave the White House and Congress for at least 1 year before they can run for election again.

There would be no “incumbent” advantage as each seat starts with a clean slate.

Maybe if Presidents and members of Congress were more concerned about doing their jobs instead of raising campaign funds on the taxpayers time and running for reelection they would perform better. Get elected, do your job, leave and run again after a break on your own time.

WW

We would have representatives of the people again.
Everyone in the swamp knows they could fart in a crowded elevator and everyone would pat them on the back.

The states could do it
~~~~~~
I agree. It is slowly underway.... Very slowly.

~~~~~~
I agree. It is slowly underway.... Very slowly.
Unfortunately I call BS.
If 34 States could pass it now why’s everyone got a thumb up their ass?

Unfortunately I call BS.
If 34 States could pass it now why’s everyone got a thumb up their ass?
~~~~~~
I fully agree with your sentiments regarding term limits set for Congress.
That's why I included "Very Slowly."
I excerpted the following:
"One thing is clear. The individual states understand their role balancing power as the fourth branch of government. They understand their obligation and are taking action to impose term limits on Congress. Every day we are one step closer to our goal!"
The problem stems way back to when State legislatures controlled who was appointed to the Senate. That was modified in 1913.
See:

Only a return to the Enumerated Powers would work. All states handle their own affairs.

Fed was never supposed to spend on anything they please. Once that happened a Den of theives took over.

Term limits are not the problem and an excuse to allow people to be lazy. It’s getting the public to wake the fuck up and stop sending back the same people creating the problems to fix them That needs to happen.

Anyone who believes in term limits should stop voting for candidates after their second term

Those who like our candidates should be allowed to continue to vote for them

Maybe. But I don't like the inference that the Rs are as bad as the Ds. Some are, but a lot of Rs are sincere about cleaning up govt.

I don't like talking bad about the only party that even considers such.. while the dims.. Sheez, where to begin? They have NO morals or ethics. Once you decide that murdering a helpless unborn child is OK...

(well, you know the rest)
But what does that have to do with term limits? If a D's term limit is over they just elect a different D.

so it's unconstitutional for the president to have only 2 terms?

psst.....I'm laughing at you.
When your done chuckling to yourself give your reply another shot and try to stay on topic.

This is about Congress, not the president.

When your done chuckling to yourself give your reply another shot and try to stay on topic.

This is about Congress, not the president.
Term limits, which exists for president. For you to argue term limits brings in the presidency

Term limits, which exists for president. For you to argue term limits brings in the presidency
I wasn't arguing term limits.

I was arguing term limits for Congress. (Pro tip: It's in the thread title).

If you want to talk about presidential term limits, or governor term limits, or even term limits for mayor's; then create a thread and have a ball.

I wasn't arguing term limits.

I was arguing term limits for Congress. (Pro tip: It's in the thread title).

If you want to talk about presidential term limits, or governor term limits, or even term limits for mayor's; then create a thread and have a ball.
Yep, term limits! Exactly

Forum List

Back