Tennessee executes child killer Billy Ray Irick with drug that inflicts 'torturous pain'

I have to say, and perhaps off topic, but when the judicial system "excludes" evidence, THAT to me is mind boggling. You have evidence of A) guilt B) innocence. Don't throw it out! Facts are facts! Warrant or not. This isn't a intellectual game of hide and seek, ALL the known facts need to be out there. Fruit of the poisoned tree my sweet bippy. I swear, I will never ever again be a jurist ever ever again, the legal system is just a pathetic game. Like a game of chess with human lives at stake. I don't want any part of that game again.

Which is why we need extensive tort reform just as we need immigration reform.
I have been a jurist, open and as honest as I could be. The couple of times where Mexicans that pushed a little to far. Drunken driving and violence. And the cherry on the cake? They served x number of days and then BOOM , deported. Back to Mexico. Breaking up families and such. I have to wonder, why are we doing this? It's purely an immigration issue, treat it as such. But no, and, it ends the just the same. Our justice system is obviously broken. Next time I get jury duty, I will plead insanity and say I have Tourette's syndrome and shout non sequitur slurs. YAK PENIS! ANUS NUGGETS! Sorry, practicing.

So, a guy that inflicted needless pain and suffering on others,will be subject to pain and suffering? Implying there's a negative side here? Explain that to me. What is the "bad' side here?

It degrades us as a civilization. Or a purported civilization anyway.

Kind of like why we don't engage in torture. Or burn women at the stake.
The death penalty shows that we, as a society, put such a sacred bond on life that if you take one, you sacrifice your own.
That is no sacred bond.
Yes it is. Ask the child murderer if you don't believe me.
There is no sacred bond as long as the system inequitable and as long as innocent people get executed.

Guilty people have been set free.
Guilty people get set free. Hmm, all those criminal sociopaths that get away, does that offset the broken justice system that puts to death innocent people? I am like, NAH. Let's fix the justice system. I have no problem with the death penalty. Jeffery Dahmer, or that Oklahoma city mass murderer, McVeigh. Please.
It's the obvious counter to innocents being convicted. Freeing the guilty is equally unjust as is convicting the innocent.

So, a guy that inflicted needless pain and suffering on others,will be subject to pain and suffering? Implying there's a negative side here? Explain that to me. What is the "bad' side here?

The death penalty shows that we, as a society, put such a sacred bond on life that if you take one, you sacrifice your own.
That is no sacred bond.
There is no sacred bond as long as the system inequitable and as long as innocent people get executed.
And as long as women alone are allowed to kill their own children at will.

Still, if you take a life, you risk sacrificing your own. Demz da rules, like it or not. Ask this child murderer if you don't believe me.

sadism?

I'd be happy if they felt 1/10th of the pain, suffering, and torture they visited on thier victims.

See what I mean? You just went down the same hole. Death is a one-zero proposition; it's either death or life, not the 'degrees' sadists cream their jeans over.

What's sailing over all y'all's heads is this -------------- your emotions are irrelevant. Once you start running on that you're in deep doodoo.

what a shame, I'm not an effing computer.

emotions?

yea..

10 years of dealing with assholes like that, bragging about what they did, makes it kind of hard to maintain an unemotional stance

Doesn't matter, it's gotta be did.

Put simply, if you're unable to divorce your emotions from justice, then you're not qualified to be dispensing the latter. Obviously some klown in Tennessee is unqualified.

No amount of sadism brings the victim back; all it does is feed the sadists.

Interestingly the state has a law pending that would prohibit this kind of administration of the mentally ill. So it could soon make what it just did, illegal.

Like I said earlier..

I'm not an effing computer.

I doubt the judge and jury that decided his fate were either.

(I'm sorry to hear you are)

Again --- I'm in no way immune to the emotion, and I get it and share it.

But I also know where its place is, and where it isn't. And it's got no place here. When you're sentencing this criminal you're sentencing on behalf of the citizenry and its society and its Law --- not to indulge your own emotions.
Good news! ... Need to see more of this ... and at faster pace(s).

6kNbggKWX1ao9EKkGougWLmLniusQck-DhF7Xdeyn0AQP-VQbwRsizPieLZcpaIDGGxbyV7Jhu95mgEIeOQ=pf-w200-h200

Tennessee executes child killer Billy Ray Irick with drug that inflicts 'torturous pain'
Tennessee has carried out its first execution in nearly a decade using a controversial cocktail of drugs including a lethal ingredient described by the Supreme ...

The Independent
yesterday

Reporter describes Bill Ray Irick's final words | Watch News Videos Online
Tennessee executed it's first inmate in a decade Thursday night. Bill Ray Irick was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of 7-year-old Paula Dyer in Knox ...

Globalnews.ca
yesterday
So what if it violates the constituent, right? It’s nit like that document means anything to your ilk anyway

How does it violate the constitution? After all the constitution specifically references execution:

The 5th Amendment:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[92]

Innocent people have been on death row and executed.

Who and when in recent history?
It is easy to look up the number of people exhonerated from death row (I think it is called Project Innocence). Given that it is often prohitively expensive for innates to clear their names if wrongfully convicted and there is little incentive to do so after death, it is likely more than a few innocent people were executed. Even one is too many.

That is no sacred bond.

Still, if you take a life, you risk sacrificing your own. Demz da rules, like it or not. Ask this child murderer if you don't believe me.
And as long as innocent people are executed. Most pro lifers stop short there.

It is easy to look up the number of people exhonerated from death row (I think it is called Project Innocence). Given that it is often prohitively expensive for innates to clear their names if wrongfully convicted and there is little incentive to do so after death, it is likely more than a few innocent people were executed. Even one is too many.

And locking an innocent person up for 50-70 years is better?

From the link:

>> "In refusing to grant Irick a stay, the Court today turns a blind eye to a proven likelihood that the State of Tennessee is on the verge of inflicting several minutes of torturous pain on an inmate in its custody," Ms Sotomayor wrote. "If the law permits this execution to go forward in spite of the horrific final minutes that Irick may well experience, then we have stopped being a civilised nation and accepted barbarism."

The US Supreme Court has described potassium chloride as "chemically burning at the stake". <<

Keywords, LIKELIHOOD, and MAY.

Other keywords, SO WHAT?

How is it possible to torture someone who raped and murdered a seven-year-old little girl?

If it was your daughter or granddaughter?

We should speed the process up. Limit all appeals to two years after the sentence is pronounced.
As long as we ate speculating, I could likewise say what if he were wrongfully convicted and this was your son or father?

That is no sacred bond.

I would never be so cruel as to recommend putting a man in a cage for the rest of his life, with no chance of ever leaving.

Better than death? If you are innocent, yes, because you can always hope for exhoneration. Execution forever ends that. If you guilty....who cares?

That is no sacred bond.

I would never be so cruel as to recommend putting a man in a cage for the rest of his life, with no chance of ever leaving.
What would the man choose?

Why do they fight so hard to not get the death penalty most times?

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

"The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights (ratified December 15, 1791) prohibiting the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines, or cruel and unusual punishment."

Yep, that would be it.

Appalling that these death-penalty freak wags above sit and revel in sadism. Even if one advocates the death penalty the idea is to rid society of the criminal, not to exact "revenge". That these freaks froth at the mouth over the sadism aspect just demonstrates the moral paucity of their position.
I don't revel in sadism, but I am firmly in support of this execution. I don't take enjoyment in him possibly being in discomfort from the drugs. Just don't care much. Call it apathy about his self-induced plight.

The simple fact is, those against death penalty are just using the possible pain aspect of the drugs as a means to prevent executions as a whole. If every state would do away with this drug concoction and use something that was completely painless, they would still try to twist that into 'cruel and unusual'.

What would the man choose?

Why do they fight so hard to not get the death penalty most times?
They are killers, not suicidal.

6kNbggKWX1ao9EKkGougWLmLniusQck-DhF7Xdeyn0AQP-VQbwRsizPieLZcpaIDGGxbyV7Jhu95mgEIeOQ=pf-w200-h200

Tennessee has carried out its first execution in nearly a decade using a controversial cocktail of drugs including a lethal ingredient described by the Supreme ...

The Independent
yesterday

Tennessee executed it's first inmate in a decade Thursday night. Bill Ray Irick was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of 7-year-old Paula Dyer in Knox ...

Globalnews.ca
yesterday

ALL child killers should be given the most torturous painful deaths as possible. Zero Tolerance for child murderers and paedophiles.

See what I mean? You just went down the same hole. Death is a one-zero proposition; it's either death or life, not the 'degrees' sadists cream their jeans over.

What's sailing over all y'all's heads is this -------------- your emotions are irrelevant. Once you start running on that you're in deep doodoo.

emotions?

yea..

10 years of dealing with assholes like that, bragging about what they did, makes it kind of hard to maintain an unemotional stance

Put simply, if you're unable to divorce your emotions from justice, then you're not qualified to be dispensing the latter. Obviously some klown in Tennessee is unqualified.

Interestingly the state has a law pending that would prohibit this kind of administration of the mentally ill. So it could soon make what it just did, illegal.

Like I said earlier..

But I also know where its place is, and where it isn't. And it's got no place here. When you're sentencing this criminal you're sentencing on behalf of the citizenry and its society and its Law --- not to indulge your own emotions.

The Independent
yesterday

Globalnews.ca
yesterday
So what if it violates the constituent, right? It’s nit like that document means anything to your ilk anyway

How does it violate the constitution? After all the constitution specifically references execution:

The 5th Amendment:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[92]

That's EIGHTH Amendment, Sprinkles. 8th. As was specifically pointed out on page 1 here.

Better than death? If you are innocent, yes, because you can always hope for exhoneration. Execution forever ends that. If you guilty....who cares?

Considering most exoneration processes involve people convicted of the death penalty, there are probably plenty of innocent people serving life sentences.

Is spending 50-70 years in a cell for something you didn't do really better than dying? I have a feeling if the DP was eliminated most of the current crusaders wouldn't move on over to life sentences.

It's probably ironic that one has a greater chance of being exonerated if one is sentenced to death.

The Independent
yesterday

Globalnews.ca
yesterday

From the link:

>> "In refusing to grant Irick a stay, the Court today turns a blind eye to a proven likelihood that the State of Tennessee is on the verge of inflicting several minutes of torturous pain on an inmate in its custody," Ms Sotomayor wrote. "If the law permits this execution to go forward in spite of the horrific final minutes that Irick may well experience, then we have stopped being a civilised nation and accepted barbarism."

The US Supreme Court has described potassium chloride as "chemically burning at the stake". <<

"The US Supreme Court has described potassium chloride as "chemically burning at the stake". <<

I would support for child murderers and paedophiles literally burning them at the stake, bring back the Medieval era for this crowd of wastes of human skin.

emotions?

yea..

Like I said earlier..

The Independent
yesterday

Globalnews.ca
yesterday

The 5th Amendment:

That's EIGHTH Amendment, Sprinkles. 8th. As was specifically pointed out on page 1 here.

How can the Death penalty be considered cruel and unusual if it is specifically referenced as a valid punishment in the same document?

Forum List

Back