Tennessee executes child killer Billy Ray Irick with drug that inflicts 'torturous pain'

The US Supreme Court has described potassium chloride as "chemically burning at the stake". <<
It degrades us as a civilization. Or a purported civilization anyway.
GOD says if we DONT execute in cases like this, an INJUSTICE is done.
To bad they don't have a way to bring him back and do it AGAIN and AGAIN.
bamma third term.jpeg

Good news! ... Need to see more of this ... and at faster pace(s).

6kNbggKWX1ao9EKkGougWLmLniusQck-DhF7Xdeyn0AQP-VQbwRsizPieLZcpaIDGGxbyV7Jhu95mgEIeOQ=pf-w200-h200

Tennessee executes child killer Billy Ray Irick with drug that inflicts 'torturous pain'
Tennessee has carried out its first execution in nearly a decade using a controversial cocktail of drugs including a lethal ingredient described by the Supreme ...

The Independent
yesterday

Reporter describes Bill Ray Irick's final words | Watch News Videos Online
Tennessee executed it's first inmate in a decade Thursday night. Bill Ray Irick was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of 7-year-old Paula Dyer in Knox ...

Globalnews.ca
yesterday
I am all for the death penalty.

but how is the cruel and unusual punishment clause interpreted

I have to say, damned good post. I don't agree, however. It doesn't work in the real world. Some people deserve to die for their crimes. Hitler, or Jeffery Dahmer. There is a time and place for everything. We all have
a line in the sand that when crossed....yes, I dare say, even ideological liberals even.

Once AGAIN the topic here is not whether the death penalty should be engaged or not. That's an entirely separate quesiton.

The issue here is "cruel and unusual punishment" as proscribed in the Constitution.
Three posts in a row tried to skirt around that question and make it about the death penalty.
I already answered it. If it's common, it's not at all unusual.

And it isn't "common" either. If it were --- it wouldn't be a story. And it wouldn't have been mulled over by SCOTUS.

:banghead:
Actually, cruelty is not prohibited. To be unconstitutional the punishment must be both cruel AND unusual. Either one is Constitutional.

This one fits both.

Actually it's redundant. If something were not "unusual" ---- then it couldn't be assessed as "cruel".
Its interesting how the left ALWAYS equates things in their "perception" and never in the reality of what their victims endured..

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

"The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights (ratified December 15, 1791) prohibiting the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines, or cruel and unusual punishment."
Bingo

Those who advocate cruel and painful executions do not support the constitution
Your overwhelming concern for a child murdering rapist is a testament to Liberal morals.

Your post is yet another demonstration of the consistent Appeal to Emotion. And abjectly dishonest.
Compassion for the well being of a child murdering rapist.

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

"The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights (ratified December 15, 1791) prohibiting the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines, or cruel and unusual punishment."
They do all those things.

Do you object when the federal government fines and imprisons ranchers for years before dismissing their cases?

If not, you probably don't really care about the 8th amendment..and most likely you approve of the death penalty for some.

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

They do all those things.

Do you object when the federal government fines and imprisons ranchers for years before dismissing their cases?

If not, you probably don't really care about the 8th amendment..and most likely you approve of the death penalty for some.

.and most likely you approve of the death penalty for some.
not used, nor enacted, nearly often enough

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

Define cruel and unusual? lets equate his cruel and unusual with his victims pain and suffering... Its not cruel or unusual by the standard he used in committing the crime!

If strapping somebody down and injecting him with what's described as "internally burning at the stake" doesn't qualify as "cruel" ---- what in the wide world of fuck DOES?

And if you actually think you can rationalize this as you just tried to above ---- does that not make the State guilty of exactly the same heinous crime as the accused? Duh?

Or have we simply taken the Constitution, strapped it down and injected it with burning at the stake? Maybe I slept through that.

The prisoner was not conscious when the second and third drug was administered. How can something be cruel to someone if they are not conscious that it is happening? It's not about observation its about what the prisoner felt. He was in no pain.

So, a guy that inflicted needless pain and suffering on others,will be subject to pain and suffering? Implying there's a negative side here? Explain that to me. What is the "bad' side here?

Kind of like why we don't engage in torture. Or burn women at the stake.
I disagree. And wrong on many levels. Calm down. Deep breaths. Think of abortion. Is that civilized? Think of this rather, like euthanasia. Culling. Please don't say we aren't animals. Yes, we are. What is the stigma against being akin to animals? Pretenses sicken me.

Execution isn't about being civilized. It's about punishment, deterrence, and protecting our society.

That said, I think it is wrong and I don't vote for it (any more).

So, a guy that inflicted needless pain and suffering on others,will be subject to pain and suffering? Implying there's a negative side here? Explain that to me. What is the "bad' side here?

I disagree. And wrong on many levels. Calm down. Deep breaths. Think of abortion. Is that civilized? Think of this rather, like euthanasia. Culling. Please don't say we aren't animals. Yes, we are. What is the stigma against being akin to animals? Pretenses sicken me.

I didn't even bring up "animals". Check your pretenses.

I brought it up. Curb your animus. I thought I was clear on that. Look up animus.

Last edited:

I brought it up. Curb your animus. I thought I was clear on that. Look up animus.

You said "Animals".

Now I have a Pink Floyd album running in my head.

Animus , animated to seem alive and self aware. We aren't talking about bacteria that have been around millions of years. Humans are complex animals. We make up rules. Speed limits, tax laws and outlawing pink bunny suits on Tuesdays on a full moon. We make laws up all the time. Please, don't pretend for a second we are better off as humans allowing known murders some special privilege because we are introspective. But you have a valid point...but still.

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

Yep, that would be it.

Appalling that these death-penalty freak wags above sit and revel in sadism. Even if one advocates the death penalty the idea is to rid society of the criminal, not to exact "revenge". That these freaks froth at the mouth over the sadism aspect just demonstrates the moral paucity of their position.

sadism?

I'd be happy if they felt 1/10th of the pain, suffering, and torture they visited on thier victims.
Innocent people have been on death row and executed.

The death penalty shows that we, as a society, put such a sacred bond on life that if you take one, you sacrifice your own.
That is no sacred bond.

Once AGAIN the topic here is not whether the death penalty should be engaged or not. That's an entirely separate quesiton.

The issue here is "cruel and unusual punishment" as proscribed in the Constitution.
Three posts in a row tried to skirt around that question and make it about the death penalty.
I already answered it. If it's common, it's not at all unusual.

And it isn't "common" either. If it were --- it wouldn't be a story. And it wouldn't have been mulled over by SCOTUS.

:banghead:
Actually, cruelty is not prohibited. To be unconstitutional the punishment must be both cruel AND unusual. Either one is Constitutional.

This one fits both.

Actually it's redundant. If something were not "unusual" ---- then it couldn't be assessed as "cruel".
Its interesting how the left ALWAYS equates things in their "perception" and never in the reality of what their victims endured..
May because we have moved beyond an eye for an eye.

Read the Constitution

Referring to the 8th?

Yep, that would be it.

Appalling that these death-penalty freak wags above sit and revel in sadism. Even if one advocates the death penalty the idea is to rid society of the criminal, not to exact "revenge". That these freaks froth at the mouth over the sadism aspect just demonstrates the moral paucity of their position.

sadism?

I'd be happy if they felt 1/10th of the pain, suffering, and torture they visited on thier victims.
Innocent people have been on death row and executed.
Innocent lives are lost all the time, we need to stop that. Sometimes it's a child in a drive by shooting, or your dog hit by a car. Sometimes it's by disease. We need to end needless deaths. I agree. But putting criminals to death I can live with. Not that we take enjoyment from that, just the opposite. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back