Ten most cash strappedd states in the U.S.

I actually find it incredible that my home state isn't on that list.

Things must be really and truly bad.

You'll also notice that several of those states on the list have to contend with voter imposed constraints on spending and taxation. In my home state, almost every angle of the budget is constitutional protected besides education and health care. Every time the economy tanks, the budget ends up having to be balanced on the backs of the schools and the hospitals.

My state wants to follow California down the drain by passing our own version of Prop 13.

I actually find it incredible that my home state isn't on that list.

Things must be really and truly bad.

You'll also notice that several of those states on the list have to contend with voter imposed constraints on spending and taxation. In my home state, almost every angle of the budget is constitutional protected besides education and health care. Every time the economy tanks, the budget ends up having to be balanced on the backs of the schools and the hospitals.

My state wants to follow California down the drain by passing our own version of Prop 13.

IMHO, nothing sours a person faster on the idea of a true direct democracy than a good ballot inititive. In retrospect, I'm beginning to think I should have made the frequency of ballot initives a criteria for where to live.

I also think that the worst consequence of the decision to take Gay Marriage to the ballot box (i.e., "decide" the issue by ballot initive) will be making the general population aware of how easy it is to ammend most state constitutions by ballot.

ever notice that most states and cities run by the Democrats are the most broke, f-up, hell holes full of corruption crime and poverty. where is all the HOPE AND CHANGE!!!!! Run by the democrats = failure!!!

Ame®icano;1709198 said:
It's not an opinion. The GOP rump in the California legislature is large enough that they block any real efforts to tackle the state's problems.

California State Senate:
(25) Democrats
(15) Republicans

California State Assembly:
(50) Democrats
(28) Republicans
(1) Independent
(1) vacant seat

Please explain how Republicans are blocking "real efforts" to solve problems?

California's state constitution requires a 2/3rd vote to pass the budget. The Republicans hold over a third of the seats in both houses.

Are you saying that things are fucked up thanks to about one third of representatives?

Hey Kee Kee, ever notice the deep south red states get more welfare retuned (taxpayer money) to the states than they have ever paid

I would think that any state that doesn't have a balanced budget admendment is in serious trouble. My state of Colorado has some huge budget shortfalls--but what we do is cut back on the size of government. There's no way we raise taxes in this economic enviroment to "save" a government job.

Forum List

Back