Ten Inconvenient Truths About The National Debt: It's Worse Than You Think...

No seriously - can someone please explain what mechanism the government would use to "park" this 22T in needed funding for future liabilities related to the trusts? What type of vehicle would they use for that money?

If both SSN and Medicare were guaranteed, the Federal government would be required to keep in an interest baring account the amount needed to fund future liabilities assuming a minimum risk interest rate. To meet that requirement the federal government would have to, as of the articles being referenced, place 22.2 trillion in an interest baring account to cover the future liabilities promised to future SSN recipients.
But this is the fundamental misunderstanding that both parties (and Al Gore in particular) have pressed on the public. The trusts are NOT guaranteed. At all. In any form. They are not defined-benefit pensions, nor are they annuities. They are straightforward transfer payments from current workforce to past workforce. It has been this way since SS was created.

The special-issue treasuries are simply an accounting mechanism to keep track of the balance. They don't even really pay "interest" in any meaningful sense since the same entity that pays the interest, earns the interest.

Talk of an alleged actuarial liability of 22 Trillion dollars simply perpetuates the myth that the program has a guaranteed defined benefit.

I agree but it is a complete lie to tell people that their Social Security and Medicare will be there for them when they retire. We should be telling people the truth so they can start planning their own retirement without these benefits.

I agree but it is a complete lie to tell people that their Social Security and Medicare will be there for them when they retire. We should be telling people the truth so they can start planning their own retirement without these benefits.

SS can quite easily be there for another 75 years for people when they retire. It will take some significant political will but the problem isn't actually that large. It could be permanently fixed by:

1) raising the retirement age to 70 or 71. Or
2) removing the cap on annual contributions (iow, getting rid of the $106,000 cap)
3) means testing the program.

Alternatively, we could raise more revenue. Scribbling on the back of a napkin here:
We're talking about needing to add perhaps 400B to each year of future revenues, or about 4% of current income.

At the midpoint of those 75 years, the real value of that 400B will have declined significantly. We will need a real dollar addition of revenues equal to about 200B in 2012 dollars, which by then will be less than 1% of total income.

At 75 years the additional revenues required will be almost nothing relative to revenues and relative to total income.

Again, SS faces some serious structural problems and the deficits are very real. The solutions may be political suicide but they are certainly not economic suicide by any stretch. As a country, we need to be able to have an adult conversation about the topic without the fear mongering and piss-poor analysis that both sides bring to the table - the Republicans who say it's dead and the Dems who say it's healthy as a 20 y.o Olympian.

Last edited:

SS can quite easily be there for another 75 years for people when they retire. It will take some significant political will but the problem isn't actually that large. It could be permanently fixed by:

2) removing the cap on annual contributions (iow, getting rid of the $106,000 cap)

Alternatively, we could raise more revenue. Scribbling on the back of a napkin here:
We're talking about needing to add perhaps 400B to each year of future revenues, or about 4% of current income.

At the midpoint of those 75 years, the real value of that 400B will have declined significantly. We will need a real dollar addition of revenues equal to about 200B in 2012 dollars, which by then will be less than 1% of total income.

At 75 years the additional revenues required will be almost nothing relative to revenues and relative to total income.

Again, SS faces some serious structural problems and the deficits are very real. The solutions may be political suicide but they are certainly not economic suicide by any stretch. As a country, we need to be able to have an adult conversation about the topic without the fear mongering and piss-poor analysis that both sides bring to the table - the Republicans who say it's dead and the Dems who say it's healthy as a 20 y.o Olympian.

8000+ If you add means testing, doesn't that entail that some folks are simply going to end up NOT collecting but only after a working lifetime of contributing?

And if you contend that's not the case, then how do you figure?

If it IS the case, then in what way is it not just another form of wealth redistribution which will have turned out to have been premised upon a lie to the very folks making such contributions?

8000+ If you add means testing, doesn't that entail that some folks are simply going to end up NOT collecting but only after a working lifetime of contributing?

If it IS the case, then in what way is it not just another form of wealth redistribution which will have turned out to have been premised upon a lie to the very folks making such contributions?

Agreed. But people are already spending a working lifetime contributing only to not collect now. The entire program is a failure in many regards, but none so much as the simple fact that everyone must pay, but not everyone will make it to the receiving finish line. (unless Im wrong on this and someone else can collect a deceased persons SS?? Anyone? Which I do not know how I feel about if that is true...)

Last edited:

Well, you could set it up so there's a base minimum payment that escalates. But let me add this: I don't like the idea of means testing it. At all. Period. I just offered it as a possibility.

Means testing creates a host of bad incentives:
1) do you means test based on previous income, current assets or what?
2) it creates an incentive for people near some imaginary line to NOT save. that's silly.
3) the act of trying to means test it would be a logistical nightmare. We have enough trouble just trying to find out if people who receive food stamps have undocumented income. How the heck would we know the total value of someone's assets?

Having made my point (hopefully) more clear, i think you'll see that I don't need to explain your further objections to means testing - I agree with them.

Agreed. But people are already spending a working lifetime contributing only to not collect now. The entire program is a failure in many regards, but none so much as the simple fact that everyone must pay, but not everyone will make it to the receiving finish line. (unless Im wrong on this and someone else can collect a deceased persons SS?? Anyone? Which I do not know how I feel about if that is true...)
No one can collect a deceased person's SS, only the survivor benefit. This actually isn't much different than people paying into a defined-benefit pension and dying young.

The REAL lesson in that story is:
Piss off the actuaries - Take care of yourself and don't die young:lol:

No one can collect a deceased person's SS, only the survivor benefit. This actually isn't much different than people paying into a defined-benefit pension and dying young.

Right, but defined-benefit pensions are elective, right?

So, if I started working at 14 years old, adn made it to say 58 and died (regardless of a bad choice, freak accident, etc..) no one can claim my benefits? Only the 250 dollar survivor payment?

Why would anyone elect to pay into SS!! i can think of a much better policy to plant that money!

Right, but defined-benefit pensions are elective, right?

Not all of them. Many state and union contracts include automatic pensions. They are obviously being phased out in most places - not because they are required, but because they are deep in debt.

Why would anyone elect to pay into SS!! i can think of a much better policy to plant that money!

I'd enjoy that conversation but it would take this one far off topic. I can see both sides of it...for another time.

But everyday it is put off it is more what conservatives are saying than what Democrats are saying. If I'm not mistaken, a proposal to fix it has been submitted a few times but those that suggest fixing it are accused of trying to kill people.

If we can't manage to balance a budget, i see absolutely no reason to believe that SS will get fixed. In fact, it's probably the least concern I have for the USA financially or monetarily.

But everyday it is put off it is more what conservatives are saying than what Democrats are saying. If I'm not mistaken, a proposal to fix it has been submitted a few times but those that suggest fixing it are accused of trying to kill people.

I've seen a lot of proposals, but the ones floated by both parties over the past 20 years all suffer from one small problem: They do nothing to fix the problem and, in many cases, actually make the fiscal position worse.

Forum List

Back