Tell us something about you....

The rich retirees of Northern California get to choose between Monterey or Lake Tahoe.

I would like the Lake better. But the Ocean is fine too.

Yeah, I chose the Lake, here is an aerial look over my area. That's Mt Rose ski resort in front.

blog-mt-rose-an-introduction-to-mt-rose-ski-tahoe.jpg

OMG -- I blew up on one of those runs. Was showing off a bit and literally fell to bits scattered over maybe 30 yards. Goggles, hat, poles, skis, gloves, even a boot. Split my snowsuit in the process and had to spend the rest of the day getting ribbed, drinking a lot of Irish coffees and not walking around a lot.

Great views from there. Loved Northstar, Alpine Meadows and Sierra Ski Ranch. One of the companies I worked for kept a large condo at Squaw Valley. We all we schemed to get snowed in on Mondays..

Yeah, i had a pretty astonishingly bad kerfuffle on Wild Card about 20 years ago. Probably the worst wipeout I've ever had. I am truly amazed i suffered no long term damage. The short term humiliation was pretty severe though!

The blow-up wasn't the most embarrassing ski experience. Even with the ass-split in my ski pants. That was a good day compared to another trip to Squaw. We took a bunch of people up to the company condo at Squaw and 3 of them were beginners. Nobody was volunteering so I stuck with with and it was a last minute thing, so I rented equipment with them . I was totally focused on making them comfortable. Got outside and was trying to show them how to wedge and shift weight and something was bad wrong. But they had me distracted, so we went up the beginner lift and I got them off and explained the plan. I was falling every 10 yards trying to ski backwards and keeping an eye on them.. They were hysterically laughing. After a few minutes, I looked down to figure it out and discovered I left rentals with 2 left boots !!!

That's embarrassing....

You're not a mod anymore??? When did this happen? Have I been sleeping? Damn. You were one of my favorite mods. :( I am grieving now.

What? You writing my obituary? I "was"? Make sure to mention my work with lepers and the insane. :eusa_dance:

Yeah, I chose the Lake, here is an aerial look over my area. That's Mt Rose ski resort in front.

OMG -- I blew up on one of those runs. Was showing off a bit and literally fell to bits scattered over maybe 30 yards. Goggles, hat, poles, skis, gloves, even a boot. Split my snowsuit in the process and had to spend the rest of the day getting ribbed, drinking a lot of Irish coffees and not walking around a lot.

Great views from there. Loved Northstar, Alpine Meadows and Sierra Ski Ranch. One of the companies I worked for kept a large condo at Squaw Valley. We all we schemed to get snowed in on Mondays..

Yeah, i had a pretty astonishingly bad kerfuffle on Wild Card about 20 years ago. Probably the worst wipeout I've ever had. I am truly amazed i suffered no long term damage. The short term humiliation was pretty severe though!

The blow-up wasn't the most embarrassing ski experience. Even with the ass-split in my ski pants. That was a good day compared to another trip to Squaw. We took a bunch of people up to the company condo at Squaw and 3 of them were beginners. Nobody was volunteering so I stuck with with and it was a last minute thing, so I rented equipment with them . I was totally focused on making them comfortable. Got outside and was trying to show them how to wedge and shift weight and something was bad wrong. But they had me distracted, so we went up the beginner lift and I got them off and explained the plan. I was falling every 10 yards trying to ski backwards and keeping an eye on them.. They were hysterically laughing. After a few minutes, I looked down to figure it out and discovered I left rentals with 2 left boots !!!

That's embarrassing....

You're not a mod anymore??? When did this happen? Have I been sleeping? Damn. You were one of my favorite mods. :( I am grieving now.

What? You writing my obituary? I "was"? Make sure to mention my work with lepers and the insane. :eusa_dance:

Well, you can't be one of my favorite mods anymore, and who am I going to complain to now? :(

Beautiful area, have been many times. I love the whole Monterey peninsula.
The rich retirees of Northern California get to choose between Monterey or Lake Tahoe.

That's embarrassing....

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I don't think i could even get my foot into the wrong side boot so you're evidently not just dumb, but POWERFULLY dumb!:funnyface::laugh:

Beautiful area, have been many times. I love the whole Monterey peninsula.

I was skiing at Kirkwood cross country and got lost and ended up on a triple black diamond trail and went crashing down the mountainside.

My right ski got ripped out of the binding and I had to ski back to the lodge on one ski.

After that I stuck to Bear Valley which was very easy skiing with no black diamond trails at all.

My right knee was never the same after the skiing accident however, but I never got surgery on it.

That's not good. I worried about knee damage sometimes when it still hurt a week after pushing thru too many moguls. It's REALLY hard on knees even when you don't wipe-out.

Yes indeed. i love them but can only handle about two runs and then I'm finished for the week.

That's embarrassing....

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I don't think i could even get my foot into the wrong side boot so you're evidently not just dumb, but POWERFULLY dumb!:funnyface::laugh:

I was.. But I figured that rental boots just sucked and we're supposed to feel wrong. :cry:

That's embarrassing....

I was.. But I figured that rental boots just sucked and we're supposed to feel wrong. :cry:

Ahhh hell, it's hard to not laugh. Back then it would have been easier to do it for sure, but you MUST have put some force into getting your foot into that boot. All I can think of is one of your newbies HAD to be a real cute one to steal your attention away!

And that is A-OK!

That's embarrassing....

Ahhh hell, it's hard to not laugh. Back then it would have been easier to do it for sure, but you MUST have put some force into getting your foot into that boot. All I can think of is one of your newbies HAD to be a real cute one to steal your attention away!

And that is A-OK!
Little known fact: Left and right shoes/boots were not "invented" until around the time of the Civil War. Until then, one shoe was identical to the other. No wonder people preferred going barefoot.

Born in Texas, have visited or lived in every state in the US except Alaska and Hawaii.

Have travelled over all of the US and most of Europe.

I have dipped my right big toe into the Nile, the Dead Sea, the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Rhine, the Thames, the Mississippi, Hudson, the East River, the Saint Johns, the St. Laurence, all 5 Great Lakes, and one or two there's I have forgotten.

I've eaten camel, dog, horse, rattlesnake, iguana, cricket, meal worms, lion, zebra, turtle, alligator, monkey, octopus, squid, kangaroo, beaver, squirrel, bison, elk, rabbit, shark, wild boar, and pigeon.

I have three degrees; RRT, RN, and another I can't give away here.

I caught a pass from an NFL quarterback.

I got drunk with John Gruden, and Kurt Warner.

I have performed life saving CPR hundreds of times.

Have attended at births and deaths.

I have too many hobbies: I make cheese, I'm a welder, I draw and paint, I collect firearms, I reload all my own ammo, I grow orchids, and I cook.

I'm also probably one of the oldest players of World of Warcraft.

Talking about me is not something I do a lot, I am a reserved person, but I will do it.
I am very good computer level, I have my own site.
I am also good for that is the field of catering (restaurant)
I like history in general, especially what has to do with France.
I love drawn, also painter, I love music, dance and learn new thing.
I have a big heart, but I am of nature also shy normally.

Impressive PredFan! I'm trying to think if I ever got drunk with anybody well known or famous but no..just a bunch of nobodies lol.

Oooh, famous people connections? I've been in an elevator with Mark Shields, and another elevator with Barry White. Didn't recognize the latter until he spoke to the woman he was with.

Impressive PredFan! I'm trying to think if I ever got drunk with anybody well known or famous but no..just a bunch of nobodies lol.

I got my screen name because I was a fan of the Orlando Predators of the Arena Football League. Jay Gruden was a player and coach for us and his brother John Gruden often came to games and the parties afterward. We sat next to each other at an away game in Tampa and we just started drinking and cheering his brother.

I was also part of the front office for a short time and I met Kurt Warner when he was QB of the Iowa Barnstormers. It was at an after game party and I was at the table with him and a few of our players getting drunk.

USMB is a community...often in this partisan atmosphere - it can get toxic. But we exist beyond a political label.

So...who are you? What can you tell us that we might not expect, in our readiness to label?

I'll start.

I adore dogs, they've given meaning to my life as I have no children (but, no, I don't think of them AS child replacements - they are who they are). I'm involved in Australian Shepherd rescue but have a soft spot for all the herding dogs and Pitties too. Any dog. I have a real fondness for asshole dogs no one else wants.

I have cats. They rule. Need more be said?

I live in a state that is VERY red, but also full of wonderfully kind people. The sort that when you stupidly drive to fast in a snowstorm and plow into a drift will pull you out.

I love hiking and running and live in the perfect area to enjoy both.

I love horses but will never be able to afford them.

I love to read - my junk food reading of choice is mysteries and sci fi.

I"ve enjoyed conversations with liberals and conservatives both...and learned things and adjusted my assumptions.

I think our country is great.

Who are you?

I had this Algebra Teacher that ask me to write in a essay what I wanted to be when I grew up?

Well I wrote I wanted to be a American Terrorist that kill math teachers that wanted me to write some Essay in Math Class...

So are you my old Math Teacher?

Oh, something you might not know about me is I love cats and Dogs, and do a lot of stuff for others for free no matter who they are. Also I am Unitarian...

If I write anything else I might egg you PM box to death!

Oooh, famous people connections? I've been in an elevator with Mark Shields, and another elevator with Barry White. Didn't recognize the latter until he spoke to the woman he was with.

Famous people I've worked with/interacted with up close in the course of corporate events in no particular order:

Jason Robards
Suzanne Sommers
Arlen Specter
John Breaux
Ray Nagin
Marc Morial
Dr. John
Jimmy Carl Black
David Ossman
The Dick Cheney
Margaret Thatcher
Milton Friedman
P.J. O'Rourke
Robert Bork
Mary Matalin and James Carville
Alberto Gonzales
Ken Burns
and of course my all time fave....
Captain Kangaroo

Ok....
I have a good job that affords me an opportunity to meet new people everyday. While I try being nice to everyone, some might say I'm nicer to the people here than I am with those IRL. lol
I'm a personable guy who isn't afraid to say what I think.

I enjoy camping, fishing, hiking, flying, boating, geocaching, photography, and meeting people.

I have traveled through most of the U.S.

I've been from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA

My job had me all over this great country. Sometimes I'd be in one state for a year or so sometime six months. But no matter where I was it was home.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back