Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

Don't camps require the parents to provide emergency contact info?

yeah, they do. all camps have medical staff, at least an RN sometimes an MD.

i used to go to summer camp in my early teens. my dad would drop me off july 1 and pick me up labor day weekend. we'd send each other these things called "letters" and my parents would occasionally send care packages so i could gorge on candy and warm soda with my friends.

traumatic, indeed.

You DO KNOW that is child abuse, right del?

Don't camps require the parents to provide emergency contact info?

yeah, they do. all camps have medical staff, at least an RN sometimes an MD.

i used to go to summer camp in my early teens. my dad would drop me off july 1 and pick me up labor day weekend. we'd send each other these things called "letters" and my parents would occasionally send care packages so i could gorge on candy and warm soda with my friends.

traumatic, indeed.

You DO KNOW that is child abuse, right del?

my case is working its way through the courts as we speak. i retained john edwards.:cool:

It sounds kind of silly. Just as a safety issue, every child should be allowed to have a cell phone. Pay phones are almost non-existent now. I would say skip the camp, if they don't allow cell phones. I'm sure there are others that have more reasonable rules.

Really? Did you ever go to camp as a kid? I know they didn't have cell phones back then, so what did they do if a child got hurt and they had to contact the parents?

rotary-phone.jpg

they used the "landline". what a concept!

anyone who thinks it onerous to deprive a kid of their cell/ipod/gameboy/ whatever for one or two weeks is way past fucked in the head, imo.

Ever since 911, parents have been reassured by the knowledge of being able to get in touch with their kids. And that doesn't have to do with a "f*cked" head. If you can't trust your kids to use their cellphones judiciously, then I would say, you have a parenting issue. Notice I didn't have to use barnyard language to make my point.

Really? Did you ever go to camp as a kid? I know they didn't have cell phones back then, so what did they do if a child got hurt and they had to contact the parents?

rotary-phone.jpg

anyone who thinks it onerous to deprive a kid of their cell/ipod/gameboy/ whatever for one or two weeks is way past fucked in the head, imo.

Ever since 911, parents have been reassured by the knowledge of being able to get in touch with their kids. And that doesn't have to do with a "f*cked" head. If you can't trust your kids to use their cellphones judiciously, then I would say, you have a parenting issue. Notice I didn't have to use barnyard language to make my point.

Now you are questioning someone's parenting skills because they don't think a child needs a cell phone for a week or two at camp? You don't think if an emergency arrives the counselors could take care of it?

Again, did you ever go to camp as a child or a teen?

rotary-phone.jpg

notice i don't give a fuck.
if you wanna be a helicopter parent, knock yourself out.
it's got nothing to do with trusting your kids and everything to do with letting them go when they're ready even if you aren't.

You know you can't take the cybernetic brain from the kids today, I mean seriously, if we let their natural gray matter do their thinking they would destroy themselves!

• Thanks
Reactions: del
rotary-phone.jpg

Now you are questioning someone's parenting skills because they don't think a child needs a cell phone for a week or two at camp? You don't think if an emergency arrives the counselors could take care of it?

Whether I went to camp as a child is irrelevant. And if the shoe doesn't fit, you don't have the wear it.

rotary-phone.jpg

it's got nothing to do with trusting your kids and everything to do with letting them go when they're ready even if you aren't.

I don't see how a "helicopter parent" applies here just because I would prefer to have my own children with cellphones if they were in a camp situation. Why should I have the camp dictate this kind of policy when I can go elsewhere? You're the consumer. If you want to send your kids to a camp that doesn't allow cellphone for emergency purposes, that's entirely up to you. As far as trusting my kids -- I trust them more than the other people around them.

You know those who are actually saying that they should have cell phones don't seem to know much about nature. Ever go on a hike and just stare at the sky? Same thing if they are "texting" ... serious accidents are being asked for.

You know those who are actually saying that they should have cell phones don't seem to know much about nature. Ever go on a hike and just stare at the sky? Same thing if they are "texting" ... serious accidents are being asked for.

I've been on plenty of hikes with my Scout troop, and phones were effectively added to our "ten essentials." I don't know why you'd assume that people would text while they were walking somewhere dangerous.

At any rate, it just seems another matter of campers being indoctrinated as to what "fun" is. As with them setting rigid schedules and insisting that campers follow them precisely, they seem to be more interested in deciding what "fun" is for the campers than letting them decide for themselves.

I've been on plenty of hikes with my Scout troop, and phones were effectively added to our "ten essentials." I don't know why you'd assume that people would text while they were walking somewhere dangerous.

At any rate, it just seems another matter of campers being indoctrinated as to what "fun" is. As with them setting rigid schedules and insisting that campers follow them precisely, they seem to be more interested in deciding what "fun" is for the campers than letting them decide for themselves.

I've seen how people get into their portable tech ... they don't pay attention to anything around them. Just because they are in the wild doesn't mean they will stop doing it.

Whether I went to camp as a child is irrelevant. And if the shoe doesn't fit, you don't have the wear it.

I don't see how a "helicopter parent" applies here just because I would prefer to have my own children with cellphones if they were in a camp situation. Why should I have the camp dictate this kind of policy when I can go elsewhere? You're the consumer. If you want to send your kids to a camp that doesn't allow cellphone for emergency purposes, that's entirely up to you. As far as trusting my kids -- I trust them more than the other people around them.

i'm sure you won't see it as a helicopter parent situation when you accompany them on job interviews, either.

i'm sure you won't see it as a helicopter parent situation when you accompany them on job interviews, either.

Hell, the helicopter parents are there when their kids apply for retirement to ... at least if they were their kids would be able to do it right! :razz:

more meaningfull relationships.......ya right....

i watched this young hip plugged in couple have a nice romantic dinner the other night.....

the texted and or spoke on their phones the entire time not once speaking to each other and ordered their food by pointing after waving off the specials.....

yep .... meaningful ......

not to mention no one takes the time to reflect on who they are or if they even like themselves as they are too busy being connected.....

i have never met so many people who are so uncomfortable in their own skin.....

Anything can be misused. When I'm at dinner with my bf and my phone goes off I look to see who it is, if it's not family I don't take the call. If I'm out with friends jut having fun I text or send pics to other friends, it's a way to be close even if we're apart. I totally get that it's different to "older" people, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it tho.

Job interviews? Trying to bring another aspect into this argument? I noticed, how you didn't address how a cellphone for emergency purposes could be detrimental to the camping experience. If you've ever been on a hike, you would have noticed how easily you could get lost. Would be real handy to have a cellphone in such a situation, no?

Generalize much?

I can not only kill and cook my own food out in "nature" I won't go thirsty either. Wanting to keep your tech with you and "knowing about nature" have nothing to with the other but thanks for the logical fallacy.

rotary-phone.jpg

The only thing I ever saw the counselors try to "take care of" was getting a little underage pussy... which when you think about is another reason for a kid to have their OWN way to communicate with the outside world.

Generalize much?

I can not only kill and cook my own food out in "nature" I won't go thirsty either. Wanting to keep your tech with you and "knowing about nature" have nothing to with the other but thanks for the logical fallacy.

Less than you do still.

The only thing I ever saw the counselors try to "take care of" was getting a little underage pussy... which when you think about is another reason for a kid to have their OWN way to communicate with the outside world.

you've led a very interesting life, amanda.
thank you for sharing.

Forum List

Back