Teens can't have their cell phone at Camp?

Ever since 911, parents have been reassured by the knowledge of being able to get in touch with their kids. And that doesn't have to do with a "f*cked" head. If you can't trust your kids to use their cellphones judiciously, then I would say, you have a parenting issue. Notice I didn't have to use barnyard language to make my point.

Now you are questioning someone's parenting skills because they don't think a child needs a cell phone for a week or two at camp? You don't think if an emergency arrives the counselors could take care of it?

Again, did you ever go to camp as a child or a teen?

The only thing I ever saw the counselors try to "take care of" was getting a little underage pussy... which when you think about is another reason for a kid to have their OWN way to communicate with the outside world.

Generalize much? This coming from you is a little hard to swallow, pardon the pun. Now you're saying all your camp counselors tried to molest underage kids.

If that's the only thing you ever saw, I'm sure you reported it, right? Or was every single counselor there trying to "get some" from the underage kids.

:rolleyes:

You know those who are actually saying that they should have cell phones don't seem to know much about nature. Ever go on a hike and just stare at the sky? Same thing if they are "texting" ... serious accidents are being asked for.

Generalize much?

I can not only kill and cook my own food out in "nature" I won't go thirsty either. Wanting to keep your tech with you and "knowing about nature" have nothing to with the other but thanks for the logical fallacy.

Less than you do still.

Oh really? Care to back that up or just making it up as you go along?

Now you are questioning someone's parenting skills because they don't think a child needs a cell phone for a week or two at camp? You don't think if an emergency arrives the counselors could take care of it?

The only thing I ever saw the counselors try to "take care of" was getting a little underage pussy... which when you think about is another reason for a kid to have their OWN way to communicate with the outside world.

you've led a very interesting life, amanda.
thank you for sharing.

You saw the purity thread, right? :lol:

Whether I went to camp as a child is irrelevant. And if the shoe doesn't fit, you don't have the wear it.

I don't see how a "helicopter parent" applies here just because I would prefer to have my own children with cellphones if they were in a camp situation. Why should I have the camp dictate this kind of policy when I can go elsewhere? You're the consumer. If you want to send your kids to a camp that doesn't allow cellphone for emergency purposes, that's entirely up to you. As far as trusting my kids -- I trust them more than the other people around them.

i'm sure you won't see it as a helicopter parent situation when you accompany them on job interviews, either.

Hell, the helicopter parents are there when their kids apply for retirement to ... at least if they were their kids would be able to do it right! :razz:

:bowdown:

Exactly! These are probably the same parents that go scream at their kid's teacher for giving little Susie a B when clearly she deserved an A.

I don't think the "safety" argument really flies as far as camp though. Campers aren't just out in the wild on their own, there are councilors and usually a nurse available 24/7 who have access to a phone and all the appropriate emergency contacts.

i'm sure you won't see it as a helicopter parent situation when you accompany them on job interviews, either.

Hell, the helicopter parents are there when their kids apply for retirement to ... at least if they were their kids would be able to do it right! :razz:

Exactly! These are probably the same parents that go scream at their kid's teacher for giving little Susie a B when clearly she deserved an A.

I don't think the "safety" argument really flies as far as camp though. Campers aren't just out in the wild on their own, there are councilors and usually a nurse available 24/7 who have access to a phone and all the appropriate emergency contacts.

I'll do you one better. In my case, the parent became the teacher!

Generalize much? This coming from you is a little hard to swallow, pardon the pun. Now you're saying all your camp counselors tried to molest underage kids.

If that's the only thing you ever saw, I'm sure you reported it, right? Or was every single counselor there trying to "get some" from the underage kids.

I didn't say all of them did it, where does that come from? You're getting as bad as KK just making up whatever you think will make your position look better.

My experience with councilors was that they had little to no idea about "nature" and were just doing an easy summer job. "Taking care of" something would have required effort, I didn't see any of that. I saw them look the other way when they could have been helpful and I saw them trying to get laid. What I reported or participated in isn't the subject of the thread. If you can give me your word that if I speak frankly the thread won't be closed or my posts edited or deleted I'll go into some detail, but I'm sick and tired of getting my posts selectively removed and threads closed so that the truth isn't what is left as a record. Since I doubt you can trump Gunny I don't think you can make that promise. But LMK, k?

I'll do you one better. In my case, the parent became the teacher!

:eek: This is the parenting style I'm trying to adhere to. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470471948/?tag=imreading-20]Amazon.com: Free-Range Kids: Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts with Worry: Lenore Skenazy: Books[/ame] I admit it's scary, but I just don't see any advantage to being a helicopter other than teaching your kids that they're always either in danger or irresponsible.

more meaningfull relationships.......ya right....

i watched this young hip plugged in couple have a nice romantic dinner the other night.....

the texted and or spoke on their phones the entire time not once speaking to each other and ordered their food by pointing after waving off the specials.....

yep .... meaningful ......

not to mention no one takes the time to reflect on who they are or if they even like themselves as they are too busy being connected.....

i have never met so many people who are so uncomfortable in their own skin.....

Anything can be misused. When I'm at dinner with my bf and my phone goes off I look to see who it is, if it's not family I don't take the call. If I'm out with friends jut having fun I text or send pics to other friends, it's a way to be close even if we're apart. I totally get that it's different to "older" people, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it tho.

so let me see if i have this correct....if i am with you i don't get a 100% of your attention .... because your phone and or the friends you aren't with are more important than i am.....

like i said....

Oh yes, Skenazy was the one who was lynched by the soccer mom brigade for having the audacity to allow her 9 year old son to ride the subway by himself.

I couldn't believe she did what she did and then decided to write about it.

Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone - April 1, 2008 - The New York Sun

I don't think I will be following her advice anytime soon.

Helicopter .... your kids will never truly grow up either.

Oh yes, Skenazy was the one who was lynched by the soccer mom brigade for having the audacity to allow her 9 year old son to ride the subway by himself.

I couldn't believe she did what she did and then decided to write about it.

Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone - April 1, 2008 - The New York Sun

I don't think I will be following her advice anytime soon.
Comanche-01-june.gif

you've led a very interesting life, amanda.
thank you for sharing.

no, somehow i missed it.
my loss, i'm sure.

I didn't say all of them did it, where does that come from? You're getting as bad as KK just making up whatever you think will make your position look better.

My experience with councilors was that they had little to no idea about "nature" and were just doing an easy summer job. "Taking care of" something would have required effort, I didn't see any of that. I saw them look the other way when they could have been helpful and I saw them trying to get laid. What I reported or participated in isn't the subject of the thread. If you can give me your word that if I speak frankly the thread won't be closed or my posts edited or deleted I'll go into some detail, but I'm sick and tired of getting my posts selectively removed and threads closed so that the truth isn't what is left as a record. Since I doubt you can trump Gunny I don't think you can make that promise. But LMK, k?

no, somehow i missed it.
my loss, i'm sure.

Yeah, you'd be amazed at how many perverts there are! :eek:

Didn't Tech say he got a 33%, and he's pretty experienced? He said to get below that you had to have had sex with dead people, animals and children! :eek:

Forum List

Back