Teen sex trafficking victim to pay $150K in restitution to family of rapist she killed....Smell Test?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Teen trafficking victim ordered to pay $150K in restitution to family of rapist she killed

A teenage sex-trafficking victim who stabbed her accused rapist to death was ordered to pay $150,000 restitution to the man’s family and sentenced to five years of closely-supervised probation by a judge in Iowa on Tuesday.

Pieper Lewis was a 15-year-old runaway when she stabbed her 37-year-old abuser, Zachary Brooks, more than 30 times in a Des Moines apartment in June 2020.

Lewis, now 17, was originally charged with first-degree murder for the fatally stabbing. Last year, she pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and willful injury. Each charge is punishable to up to 10 years in prison.

Polk County District Judge David M. Porter deferred Lewis’ prison sentence on Tuesday— meaning if she violates her probation she could be sent to prison to serve 20 years.

The judge said Lewis was ordered to pay the estate of her rapist because the court was “presented with no other option,” adding that the restitution is mandatory under Iowa state law.

She will be moved to a halfway house in Des Moines where she will wear a GPS tracking device to ensure she does not fall “back into the lifestyle that you thus far left,” Porter said, according to the New York Times. She will additionally be required to complete 200 hours of community service.

Something does not pass the smell test here.....Why would her lawyer have her plead out if she was a sex trafficking victim?

The guy looked like a creeper. I would have stabbed him 87 times and then shot him a few times just to be sure.

1663153527619.png

Crazy story as written. Just speculation, but my guess is that the girls didn't come off as a credible witness. Maybe the judge believed that Brooks was guilty of harboring a runaway, and statutory rape, but didn't buy the human trafficking part of her story.

Still weird. I hope the family isn't holding their breath for a seventeen year old on probation to cough up 150K.

So a 17 y/o sex slave with no skills is ordered to pay a fortune to her supposed "victims" family... how do they expect her to do that?
Did they strap a mattress to her back on the way out of the court room or just give her a gun with a list of local banks?

Or injustice system is a joke

Why didn't they give the girl a medal for whacking this paedophile? Did NAMBLA and other pro-child molestation lobbies write Amicus briefs demanding her literal crucifixion?

Polk County District Judge David M. Porter deferred Lewis’ prison sentence on Tuesday— meaning if she violates her probation she could be sent to prison to serve 20 years.

The judge said Lewis was ordered to pay the estate of her rapist because the court was “presented with no other option,” adding that the restitution is mandatory under Iowa state law.

I don't know the law in Iowa but reading from other sources would seem to contradict this statement.

Iowa law requires people convicted of homicides to pay $150,000 in compensation, but Sheeley argued to Porter that Brooks' rape of Lewis made him more than 51% responsible for his own death.

Porter rejected this argument and ordered Lewis to pay $150,000 to Brooks' estate.

Des Moines teen Pieper Lewis, who killed alleged rapist, gets probation, deferred judgment

It would seem to me that he was 100% responsible for his own death and all the judge had to do was rule that way.

People can't be forced to pay restitution if they are unable to do it. It's a hollow judgment. She will likely never pay a dime.
My daughter's car was totaled by a black teen who stole it and crashed it. He was ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $2800. His mother ponied up $200 right away but my daughter hasn't seen a dollar since. That was five years ago. She'll never see another dime.

I don't know the law in Iowa but reading from other sources would seem to contradict this statement.

Iowa law requires people convicted of homicides to pay $150,000 in compensation, but Sheeley argued to Porter that Brooks' rape of Lewis made him more than 51% responsible for his own death.

Porter rejected this argument and ordered Lewis to pay $150,000 to Brooks' estate.

Des Moines teen Pieper Lewis, who killed alleged rapist, gets probation, deferred judgment

It would seem to me that he was 100% responsible for his own death and all the judge had to do was rule that way.
Must have been the blue part of Iowa.

People can't be forced to pay restitution if they are unable to do it. It's a hollow judgment. She will likely never pay a dime.

Because she will never be in a position where she is making a decent income?

Because she will never be in a position where she is making a decent income?
The State will lose track of the case eventually and it will be forgotten. They will not act as a collection agency to enforce the judgment. The only thing that might happen is that the girl might not be able to get a mortgage with that judgment on her record.

My daughter's car was totaled by a black teen who stole it and crashed it. He was ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $2800. His mother ponied up $200 right away but my daughter hasn't seen a dollar since. That was five years ago. She'll never see another dime.
Oh fuck yes they can, at least in Virginia.....I received restitution for going on five years after the perp got out of prison....The last payment was about four months ago.

Oh fuck yes they can, at least in Virginia.....I received restitution for going on five years after the perp got out of prison....The last payment was about four months ago.
This kid didn't go to prison, and he is 22 y/o now, and still no money. This is Wisconsin.

The State will lose track of the case eventually and it will be forgotten. They will not act as a collection agency to enforce the judgment. The only thing that might happen is that the girl might not be able to get a mortgage with that judgment on her record.

It's not generally the state that pursues something like this. It's the family of the one who is owed it. Look at the Goldman Family pursuit of OJ as an example.

Maybe his family never pursues it but that doesn't negate what the judge did.

Forum List

Back