Teen pregnancy rate up after 10-year decline

Abstinence doesn't work now...

It doesn't? Last time I checked, it was the only 100% method to prevent one's self from getting pregnant.

-TSO

abstinence-thumb.jpg

Anyway telling kids they must use abstinence doesn't work, never has.

Last edited:
Girls who play sports tend to delay sex. Girls who have career goals tend to delay sex. Girls who have positive male role models tend to delay sex. Those are what I consider "family values"

Last year we had about 4 or 5 pregnant girls in my school. This year we are at 17. No change in "curriculum" Surprise, surprise...

Hey - guess what? Some abstinence programs are working.

CNN's Jack Cafferty, during a commentary on Tuesday's Situation Room, fairly presented the results of recent "landmark" study which indicates abstinence-only sex education has better results than "safe sex" classes in preventing teenagers from having sex : "This just in: abstinence-only sex education might just work... [The] study...could have huge implications on the national debate over lowering teen pregnancy rates, as well as sexually-transmitted diseases."

Cafferty devoted his commentary 14 minutes into the 6 pm Eastern hour to the study, which was published in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine on Monday. After noting the results, that only "33 percent of sixth and seventh graders who took an abstinence-only program began having sex within two years," compared to "52 percent who were taught only about safe sex...[and] 42 percent who learned about both safe sex and abstinence," the commentator disclosed the Obama administration's decision to roll back funding of such abstinence studies. He continued by reporting the reactions from both sides of the sex ed debate: "Some call the abstinence research ‘game-changing,’ that it comes after years of getting a bad rap. But critics though say the curriculum in this study isn’t a good example of abstinence-only programs. They say the class studied didn’t take a moral tone. It encouraged teens to wait to have sex until they’re ready, not until they’re married; and it didn’t disapprove of condom use."

Read more: NewsBusters.org | Exposing Liberal Media Bias

Hmmmm. Just as I suspected. Some work; some don't. Could it have more to do with family values? Yes - methinks it does.

A. get an unbiased news source
B. 33% failure rate over 2 years still sucks

Last edited:
When people don't have money to do anything, they do each other.

Abstinence doesn't work now...

It doesn't? Last time I checked, it was the only 100% method to prevent one's self from getting pregnant.

-TSO

abstinence-thumb.jpg

Anyway telling kids they must use abstinence doesn't work, never has.

Abstinence is the only method that is 100% effective against pregnancy and disease.

The problem is that it's the only thing the right want taught. They feel that if their children get pregnant or get AIDS, then they deserve it. They have learned a valuable lesson. In other-words, they took AIDS and made "LemonAIDS". Something positive out of a fatal disease. Gotta hand it to 'em, always optimistic.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxIajUyiyY]YouTube - Shirley Temple - Be Optimistic - 1938[/ame]

Girls who play sports tend to delay sex. Girls who have career goals tend to delay sex. Girls who have positive male role models tend to delay sex. Those are what I consider "family values"...

How do you know that the preacher's daughter who plays on the softball team isn't on the pill and boinking all the guys at the Taco Bell where she's an "assistant manager?"

I chose Taco Bell Completely at Random.

Preachers' kids are famous for rebelling in a big way, so that's an unfair example! I cry foul!

Girls who play sports tend to delay sex. Girls who have career goals tend to delay sex. Girls who have positive male role models tend to delay sex. Those are what I consider "family values"...

How do you know that the preacher's daughter who plays on the softball team isn't on the pill and boinking all the guys at the Taco Bell where she's an "assistant manager?"

I chose Taco Bell Completely at Random.

I'm sure there are quite a few. But if she's playing softball, has a father, is on the pill, and is an assistant manager at Taco Bell, chances are she's mature enough to have sex. Many girls are not. The rumor is that six girls are now pregnant at the Middle School. And yes, they have sex ed there too. In fact they even have those robot babies that cry and pee. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you ask me.

Hmmmm. Just as I suspected. Some work; some don't. Could it have more to do with family values? Yes - methinks it does.

I was listening to this on NPR - very interesting - but no, it wasn't about "family values". The approach they used was to ask the kids what their life goals were - what they wanted to accomplish in the next year or two - and how delaying sexual activity could help them reach those goals.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kids are lucky if they know what they want to accomplish in the next week.
No different from most adults.

Forum List

Back