Techno

I've really been getting into IDM lately (intelligent digital music, it's a genre not an artist). Not the same thing as techno, but it's worth checking out if you're into digital music. I guess a good starting point would be someone like Aphex Twin or Chemical Brothers, their stuff's pretty accessible. Two of my favorites are Dntel and Boards of Canada, but their stuff is kinda dense, you really have to sit down and put some effort into really getting into it, but once you do, they're amazing.

Dan said:
I've really been getting into IDM lately (intelligent digital music, it's a genre not an artist). Not the same thing as techno, but it's worth checking out if you're into digital music. I guess a good starting point would be someone like Aphex Twin or Chemical Brothers, their stuff's pretty accessible. Two of my favorites are Dntel and Boards of Canada, but their stuff is kinda dense, you really have to sit down and put some effort into really getting into it, but once you do, they're amazing.

DNTEL and BOC are along the lines of Frou Frou and Postal Service (Actually, postal service and DNTEL share members) - it's sort of like indie-techno.

The chemical brothers have done an excellent job of remaining relevant in a genre that artists become tired quickly. One only needs to look at the Crystal Method to understand my point.

Dan, try listening to some stuff by the group Hybrid, they're one of my favorite bands.

Oh, and please don't say IDM :( I hate the notion of IDM. If there's one stupid thing about electronic music, it's all the rediculous names their are for the sub-genres.

Acoustic Jungle
Death House

Actually, that reminds me, if you're curious about the world of electronic music, check this out. Totally snobby and very cheeky.

From the site:

Intelligent Dance Music: This is the oddest named genre in the entire world, since it's not easily danceable, it's not certifiably intelligent, and it's arguable as to whether it constitutes as actual music. This is the realm of the uber-pretentious electronic music afficionados, with razor-thin eclectic tastes, who spend most of their waking energy arguing about what IDM is and what IDM isn't. But I guess that depends on what your definition of 'is' is. That's why it's the one genre that doesn't have any kind of cohesive sound. That's also why some of them despise the term "Intelligent Dance Music". So just ignore them. It is fun to listen to, after all.

:)

DNTEL and BOC are along the lines of Frou Frou and Postal Service (Actually, postal service and DNTEL share members) - it's sort of like indie-techno.

Yeah, I'm into more ethereal, ambient electronic music. I guess judging from my music collection, you'd probably think I was a big stoner (I'm not).

Postal Service, I don't think I'd classify them with Dntel, BOC, or Frou Frou. Their music is much more structured, for the most part, their songs are poppier than the other artists', I think. But, don't get me wrong, I love them, in fact, I just bought this shirt...
POS-107-x.jpg

...two days ago.

Oh, and please don't say IDM I hate the notion of IDM. If there's one stupid thing about electronic music, it's all the rediculous names their are for the sub-genres.

I didn't know it was Intelligent DANCE Music, oops. And I'm not a huge fan of that description either, but I didn't want to be like "Hey, if you're into techno, check out Dntel!" Semper Fi would be disappointed.

Hey Dweebs:

No one listens to techno. That's what Eminem says. He's the King.

Y'know what else Eminem said?

I JUST DON'T GIVE A F*CK!!!!

i will have to chech those out.....being an olde timer.....joy division and new order ..... love the olde goth bauhaus, tones on tail and love and rockets

love and rockets

I really like them a lot. Manu, maybe you'd be a good one to ask, if I wanted to get into Joy Division, what would be a good album to start with?

I have no idea what song you're talking about.

"Just Don't Give a F*ck" :D

wow you guys really know your 'techno'. I downloaded The Essential Trance Collection at a LAN one time, and sometimes I'm in the mood to dig out the ol' strobe light. I'm gonna check out the IDM stuff, I like to try new things, including the works of Fitty Cent and the Black eyed Peas. :eek:

Semper Fi said:
wow you guys really know your 'techno'. I downloaded The Essential Trance Collection at a LAN one time, and sometimes I'm in the mood to dig out the ol' strobe light. I'm gonna check out the IDM stuff, I like to try new things, including the works of Fitty Cent and the Black eyed Peas. :eek:
Black Eyed Peas - Joints and Jams
Go now. Go.

Black Eyed Peas - Joints and Jams
Go now. Go.

Oh, dear. Your musical tastes just got put on my 'Dead to Me' list.

Seriously, though, I'm looking for some new electronic music, some more laid-back stuff like Dntel, can you help me out?

Dan said:

Seriously, though, I'm looking for some new electronic music, some more laid-back stuff like Dntel, can you help me out?
It's old BEP, before they got the chick and "sold out"

you want etheral? Or just laid back. I have a lot of laid back stuff, but it might be to creepy or loungy or whatever for you.

If you're looking for light-ish fair like DNTEL, i'll have to think and get back to you on that.

Dan said:

There is very little wrong with the Black Eyed Peas. Oh, and Gwen Stiffani or however you spell it is hot and a very talented musician.

Semper Fi said:
There is very little wrong with the Black Eyed Peas. Oh, and Gwen Stiffani or however you spell it is hot and a very talented musician.
Dan might have just blacklisted you...

Forum List

Back