Tea Party to Raise Debt Limit?

rolling back the budget to 2007 levels should be relatively painless

Really? How you gonna do it?

They balanced it under Clinton you dumb fuck.

No they didn't you moron. Tax reform of 1993 balanced the budget. Not one Republican voted for it. They said it would cause a recession in 6 months. What actually followed was the longest economic expansion in American history.

Take another look at the Clinton Presidency my man. This presidency is shaping up on a VERY similar story line. Except Obama actually got heathcare reform.

Bull shit, neither side can take full credit for the balanced budget. 1993, the year of the giant Clinton tax hike, was not the turning point in the deficit. 1995, two years after that tax hike, the budget baseline submitted by the president's own Office of Management and Budget and the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office predicted $200 billion deficits for as far as the eye could see.

The surplus, in part, was a byproduct of the GOP's crusade to end 30 years of red ink. Arguably, Gingrich's finest hour as Speaker came in March 1995 when he rallied the entire Republican House caucus behind the idea of eliminating the deficit within seven years.

Than came, lib-light Bush Jr. and 9/11, just in time to fuck it all up.

The Tea Party didn't sweep Republicans back into power in the 90s.

Dumbass, Clinton lost the House AND the Senate. And he didn't even get heathcare reform.

Obamadinejad is too much of a marxist despot to do what Clinton did and allow the Republican Congress to save his Presidency.

Personally, I think he's just too weak to stand up to the GOP the next 2 years. And Reid returning to the Senate was a disaster for the DNC, especially if he holds his leadership position.

I've got a feeling that 2010-2012 will look a lot like 1994-1996, namely a GOP House and a DNC President find themselves forced to work together. The problem is that 1994 also lead directly into Clinton's re-election in 1996. The GOP has a few lessons to learn if they want the Oval Office in 2012.

byproduct of the GOP's crusade

What spending did the Republicans reduce in the 90s?

tick tock
tick tock

One of the first things the Tea party will do is raise the debt ceiling.

They will make no appreciable cuts in government spending.

No. You run out of money

Fool. There's no way even the Tea Party idiots don't vote to raise the debt limit. No way. Watch it happen.

What will you say about the Tea party and your new Republican majority when they do what they have to do, what they've always done?

They will vote for it, they'll have to.

Obamadinejad is too much of a marxist despot to do what Clinton did and allow the Republican Congress to save his Presidency.

Personally, I think he's just too weak to stand up to the GOP the next 2 years. And Reid returning to the Senate was a disaster for the DNC, especially if he holds his leadership position.

I've got a feeling that 2010-2012 will look a lot like 1994-1996, namely a GOP House and a DNC President find themselves forced to work together. The problem is that 1994 also lead directly into Clinton's re-election in 1996. The GOP has a few lessons to learn if they want the Oval Office in 2012.

I guess I disagree. It's a wakeup call for Obama and Reid. Angle would have been the disaster. I would have pulled the lever for a Republican in Nevada but not for her. Reid isn't that important but if it just wasn't her...

Of course they'll have to. They'll have to actually govern! Governing has nothing to do whith the wacked-out rhetoric they spewed in the campaign.

No. You run out of money

Fool. There's no way even the Tea Party idiots don't vote to raise the debt limit. No way. Watch it happen.

What will you say about the Tea party and your new Republican majority when they do what they have to do, what they've always done?

Unfortunately.

It's a wakeup call for Obama and Reid.

The lesson they will take is the opposite of what the righties think. Obama's mistake was tacking too much to the middle and actually trying to work with Republicans. He should have been more of a leftist and taken his legislative defeats when they came.

Maybe Chuck Schumer should take the Majority Leadership, he won big last night. I like him, he's kind of a hardass and he can get things done.

Not to change the subject.

It's a wakeup call for Obama and Reid.

The lesson they will take is the opposite of what the righties think. Obama's mistake was tacking too much to the middle and actually trying to work with Republicans. He should have been more of a leftist and taken his legislative defeats when they came.

It'll be interesting to see if you're right. The reason the GOP lost in 2008 is that they took the wrong message out of 2006, namely they decided they hadn't leaned far enough Right.

Clinton's genius was that after 1994 he realized it was time to move center. Despite the fact that he and Newt had a political rivalry that bordered on the legendary, they met in the middle and pretty much held power together for years.

I think Obama will move center, not because he's got Clinton's political savy, but because he and Reid both are very weak players.

Maybe Chuck Schumer should take the Majority Leadership, he won big last night. I like him, he's kind of a hardass and he can get things done.

Not to change the subject.

Reid should lose leadership for sure. There's just no way to look at his time as Majority leader and not come to the conclusion it was a disaster. His own party needs to oust him.

I think Obama will move center

Obama has been in the center the whole time. Now the ball is in the House's court. The Senate and the President will sit back and wait. See what they do. The best thing that could possibly happen for Obama is that the Tea partiers actually push for the wacked-out libertarian agenda.

It's one of the first votes the New Congress will have to make. The real world will hit the tea party demagogues on day one. They will have to vote to raise the debt limit or face the almost imediate trainwreck of the economy if they don't.

What will they do? Stick to principles and bring on the double dip immediately or do what needs to be done and have one of their first acts in power be raising the debt limit?

I'll take the latter for 1000 Alex.

Will you understand then wingnuts?

I doubt it.

they have inherited a fucked up mess from obie wan. they are gonna need some time you big fat mouthed hypocrite!

But not a big of a fucked up mess as Obama inherited from Bush.

How fast will you expect the R hose to fix everything?

A week........ a year and a half?

I think Obama will move center

Obama has been in the center the whole time. Now the ball is in the House's court. The Senate and the President will sit back and wait. See what they do. The best thing that could possibly happen for Obama is that the Tea partiers actually push for the wacked-out libertarian agenda.

Only one of the Tea Party candidates could have been considered a libertarian, and he didn't run as one. There is no libertarian agenda from the Tea Party.

It's one of the first votes the New Congress will have to make. The real world will hit the tea party demagogues on day one. They will have to vote to raise the debt limit or face the almost imediate trainwreck of the economy if they don't.

What will they do? Stick to principles and bring on the double dip immediately or do what needs to be done and have one of their first acts in power be raising the debt limit?

I'll take the latter for 1000 Alex.

Will you understand then wingnuts?

I doubt it.

speculation has been circulating that the GOP would shut down the government by spring over deficit spending.

We will see. It might galvanize the nation behind the TP and the GOP if they do, or it may backfire.

Everything did change last night, you can feel it in the air. But I for one have no idea what that means yet.

Revere, what spending cuts did the Republicans make under Clinton? Did they spend less than the previous year, ever?

Revenues balanced the budget. Tax reform, 1993.

They slowed the growth of government.

When the dot com bubble burst, so did Clinton's "surpluses."

Clinton's surpluses disappeared when Bush and the Republicans made a conscious decision to eliminate the surplus with tax cuts.

In fact that was Bush's STATED POLICY.

Forum List

Back