Tea Party .. Sell outs?

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I tend to think the Tea Party candidates will eventually sell out over time, if their in Washington long enough.... but I think they will be fairly firm over the next 2 years..

------------------------:confused:

Most Tea Party members view the candidates they elected in November as agents of change from government business as usual, but non-members are a lot more skeptical.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone poll finds that only 34% of all Likely U.S. Voters think Tea Party candidates elected in November will remain true to their beliefs. A plurality (46%) says they will become just like other politicians. Twenty percent (20%) aren’t sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

But among those who identify themselves as members of the Tea Party, 77% say the candidates they elected will remain true to their beliefs, and just 13% disagree.

But, among those with no ties to the Tea Party Movement, 61% believe Tea Party candidates elected last month will become just like other politicians. Twenty-one percent (21%) of this group think those candidates will stick to their beliefs, and 18% are undecided.

Most Tea Party Members Think Those They Elected Won?t Sell Out, Others Aren?t So Sure - Rasmussen Reports

I have a comment on the TP and the 'fear' that they will begin to raise social issues and lose their appeal to indys/mod dems etc.....why is it when the dems bring up DADT or Dream act etc. its all cool with the msm, but if the TP were to bring up oh, abortion they would be painted as a bunch of evil cons?

Last edited:
Being a conservitive and a tea party supporter id like to think it wont happen.......but it wouldnt suprize me.
How to stop power from corrupting is the big prob. Checks and balences wont help with that.

If those involved and those in agreement with them keep paying attention, it won't matter what those in Washington may want; they will either tow the line or they will be voted out.

If you've been paying attention in the last week, saw this in action with the omnibus spending bill. Those GOP folks that thought, 'the election's over, back to pork,' got a rude awakening and had to kill that bill.

If those involved and those in agreement with them keep paying attention, it won't matter what those in Washington may want; they will either tow the line or they will be voted out.

If you've been paying attention in the last week, saw this in action with the omnibus spending bill. Those GOP folks that thought, 'the election's over, back to pork,' got a rude awakening and had to kill that bill.

You are so right.

I'd like to believe there was some trickery on the Democrat side to see if the Republicans would take the bait. I'm glad they didn't...

I still remember the foul stench that the republican *gag* "revolutionaries" emitted, when push came to shove back in 1995. I also remember that Boehner came down on the side of Newt Gingwad and the rest of the DC neocon insider establishment, when the likes of Paxon and Armey attempted to overthrow them.

My expectations are extremely low, therefore my disappointment factor is accordingly so.

Last edited:
I still remember the foul stench that the republican *gag* "revolutionaries" emitted, when push came to shove back in 1995. I also remember that Boehner came down on the side of Newt Gingwad and the rest of the DC neocon insider establishment, when the likes of Paxon and Armey attempted to overthrow them.

My expectations are extremely low, therefore my disappointment factor is accordingly so.

Sounds like wisdom... yup

They will become Hypocrites, just like their GOP brothers. They will sell out to special interest and who ever drops the biggest check on them. It is but a matter of time.

I tend to think the Tea Party candidates will eventually sell out over time, if their in Washington long enough.... but I think they will be fairly firm over the next 2 years..

Most Tea Party members view the candidates they elected in November as agents of change from government business as usual, but non-members are a lot more skeptical.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone poll finds that only 34% of all Likely U.S. Voters think Tea Party candidates elected in November will remain true to their beliefs. A plurality (46%) says they will become just like other politicians. Twenty percent (20%) aren’t sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

But among those who identify themselves as members of the Tea Party, 77% say the candidates they elected will remain true to their beliefs, and just 13% disagree.

But, among those with no ties to the Tea Party Movement, 61% believe Tea Party candidates elected last month will become just like other politicians. Twenty-one percent (21%) of this group think those candidates will stick to their beliefs, and 18% are undecided.

Most Tea Party Members Think Those They Elected Won?t Sell Out, Others Aren?t So Sure - Rasmussen Reports

Revisit this about next summer. I predicted before the election that most who voted for the TP candidates will be saying that they are not really conservatives after all by then.

I also predicted this about Bush before the 2004 election.

I have a comment on the TP and the 'fear' that they will begin to raise social issues and lose their appeal to indys/mod dems etc.....why is it when the dems bring up DADT or Dream act etc. its all cool with the msm, but if the TP were to bring up oh, abortion they would be painted as a bunch of evil cons?

Because trying to overturn Roe v. Wade or outlawing Abortion isn't a Conservative "Keep Government out of our lives" value. Rather, it's a Big Government Social Conservative value. The TP is likely to be like the latter rather than the former (if I get that phrase correct) on social issues. There is all this talk about fiscal issues, but at the end of the day, they'll still be voting on social issues in Congress. So unless they abstain from voting on those issues when they disagree with staying out of people's lives, they will come out as (and justifiably so) as hypocrites.

Revisit this about next summer. I predicted before the election that most who voted for the TP candidates will be saying that they are not really conservatives after all by then.

hell, i said it about Bush before the 2000 election
you were late to the party
Bush never was a conservative
he was always a wishy washy moderate

Because trying to overturn Roe v. Wade or outlawing Abortion isn't a Conservative "Keep Government out of our lives" value. Rather, it's a Big Government Social Conservative value. The TP is likely to be like the latter rather than the former (if I get that phrase correct) on social issues. There is all this talk about fiscal issues, but at the end of the day, they'll still be voting on social issues in Congress. So unless they abstain from voting on those issues when they disagree with staying out of people's lives, they will come out as (and justifiably so) as hypocrites.
you are wrong about Roe v Wade, that IS a big government over stepping its bounds
abortion is a states rights issue and it doesn't belong in the federal purview

you are wrong about Roe v Wade, that IS a big government over stepping its bounds

This should be interesting, explain why.

I will admit I never said Bush was not a conservative before 2000. I did however say that many/most who voted for him would regret it.

This should be interesting, explain why.
because abortion is not a constitutionally protected right
thus any laws regarding it would fall to the states

and it you dont think so, just what do you think the repeal of Roe v Wade would do?

I will admit I never said Bush was not a conservative before 2000. I did however say that many/most who voted for him would regret it.
i knew he wouldnt be a conservative when i voted for him in both 2000 and 2004, he was just better than the alternative

i knew he wouldnt be a conservative when i voted for him in both 2000 and 2004, he was just better than the alternative

I've yet to run across an election where I was 100% for a candidate. It's always just better than the alternative..sometimes just barely.

Forum List

Back